• 4(current)
XBMC on Acer Revo 3610 & Windows 7
Let me start off by first saying this: Proceed with Caution. I am by no means a master of XBMC. I have about a week of experience. :p

In this guide I will show you how to create a partition on your Acer Revo 3610 and install XBMCLive 9.11 Beta1 while still keeping Windows 7.

Tools
  • One Thumb-drive 1.5GB or larger
  • XBMCLive 9.11 Beta1

Step 1: Format HDD
The first thing you are going to need to do is create a partition for XBMCLive to install to. For some reason, I was unsuccessful at using the auto partition in the xbmc setup, so I made my own. To do so:
  1. Boot Win7 and in the run box in the start menu type: “Disk Management.”
  2. Select the Acer HDD (Should be C) and right click > Shrink Volume
  3. It will see how much space you have, then ask you how much you would like to partition. It doesn't matter what file systems you put on it, because you are just going to delete the partition again once in XBMCLive. The whole point here is to set aside the space you want.

Step 2: Setup your Thumbdrive
I used this tutorial to create my thumb drive (You dont have to burn a cd. I went the unetbootin route)

Step 3: Change Boot Settings
Next you are going to need to set your thumb drive to boot before your hdd. Restart your computer and enter your BIOS by hitting delete a bunch after you hear the beep from your restart.

Now you need to go to Advanced BIOS and change the usb key to be the first boot device. Save, Restart. Your thumb drive should now boot with a grey screen.

Step 4: Install XBMCLive
When you see the grey splash screen, you should be presented with a few options. If you wanted to test out XBMCLive first, you can select “XBMCLive - NVIDIA GPU.” Or if you wanted to install it to your partition, you need to highlight “Install XBMCLive to disk” and press tab. Then at the end of that line you will see “preseed.cfg --” change to “preseed.cfg cdrom-detect/try-usb=true --”

Code:
cdrom-detect/try-usb=true

You will now run through a few screens like language support, keyboard, timezone..etc When you hit the Partition Disks screen, go to the bottom to “Manual”

Here you should see your partition that you made in Windows 7. Highlight it and hit enter (Make sure you have the right one, or you will delete Win7). Then you are going to want to delete the partition. From there it should take you back a screen and it should be labeled raw data. Then just select that and XBMCLive should install. It will ask you to setup a username and password. Make sure you remember it.

From now on when you restart your computer, you will have 4 options. The first is for XBMCLive, the 4th is for Win7 (will be labeled vista.. weird) The 3rd one is Acer Recovery Manager (Also labeled vista). You can change the list and name in your menu.lst file. Just look around on this forum. Just be careful.

Step 5: Configuring XBMCLive
Now that you have XBMCLive installed, go ahead and boot into it by selecting it from your bootscreen when you restart. Make sure you setup your video settings. You want to set your render settings to VDPAU to take advantage of the onboard graphics.

Step 6: Adding the Windows 7 Partition to XBMCLive (Optional)
If you have any files saved on your Windows 7 partition and would like to access them from XBMCLive, I used this tutorial. Just make sure you are adding your hdd to the fstab file that you change “ext2” to the format of your hdd. Mine was ntfs. Also where it says:

Code:
sudo chown -R xbmc:xbmc /storage
Its asking for your user and group. To find this out while at your command prompt type

Code:
sudo id username

Replace username with your username that you specified during setup.

In order to login to the shell, press Ctrl + Alt + F6 while in xbmc.
When editing files: Ctrl + o will save them.
To exit files: Ctrl + x

Cheers,
Anthony
My system is now completed.

XMBC 9.11b1+MPC-HC
Alaska
MCE Remote

All working great.
I ran some tests today to ensure that my new 3610 can happily playback full HD movie files via XBMC and also stream iTunes music throughout my house via Airport Express at the same time. It passed with flying colours, both sources had no problem running simultaneously.
Just ran into a problem for the first time. XBMC can't see the videos in my video folder on the 3610. I've specified the folder but nothing shows up. I added another source which is a networked folder on another computer in the house and it sees those fine. I double checked to make sure I was specifying the proper folder but no luck. Seems like it should be something simple but I have no clue. Any ideas?

Problem solved!
It was simple, was pointing to wrong location after all. I had copied them over from another computer and they were in the public folder.
Hey I was wondering if you guys could help me with a quick question. I hope this is the right forum to be posting in.

I just received my Acer Revo 3610 and removed the bloatware and updated the nVidia drivers and flash.

As a XBMC newbie, installed the non-live version to test. It seems that I must use MPC for files to play smoothly, but that's not the issue.

The weird thing is, after all this setup, my windows system sounds are gone. When I go to sound setting to test one (like folder opening), I just hear a slight "pop" in my HDTV's speakers. All other sounds are fine. Any clues?
The new version of Coreavc and windows media player works like a charm, 1080p plays 100%!!!

How did you guys fix the over scan issue? i cant even see the bottom bar to re size.

With this version of xmbc live does sound come out from toslink? I had a problem with the linux version, i couldn't hear any one talking but was able to hear everything else..
judgeschambers Wrote:If you're interested, I just posted my full hands on review of the USA made Acer Revo 3610.

It is an overall look at the basic playback and function with the Beta Flash 10.1, Hulu Desktop, and other Flash sites using IE. As well as some h.264 and HD Flash items. Also, some Boxee experiences as I'm a moderator on their site too.

Post some comments on the site for specific files or scenarios you want me to look at and I'll post them on the blog.

http://www.pauljroberts.com/acer-aspire-...330-review

Be sure to get the latest Nvidia Chipset and ION Graphics drivers & Adobe Flash 10.1 for GPU acceleration;
Get all links via the Nvidia site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_flash...vidia.html

Once you install the Flash Beta, GPU acceleration will work flawlessly in XP, Vista and 7. But only with video players that support it. Does XBMC yet?

This was a great review, thanks for posting your thoughts of the device.
Looks like Acer discontinued the Aspire Revo 3610, Newegg shows it as a Deactivated Item, and CDW says the following: "This product was discontinued as of Thursday, December 10, 2009. Call for availability."
Just to throw my setup in..

Acer Revo 3610
3gb Ram
160gb HDD (stock)
Windows Xp
XBMC Beta 2
Alaska Skin
Flash 10.1 beta (for HD Flash playback)
Eventghost with Cyberlink Remote set up for XBMC

With this set up, my 720p MKV's play flawlessly over wireless without a single dropped frame. No doubt it wont play 1080 without MPHC but... i don't have any of those Big Grin
DISCONTINUED? Crap! This thing *just* hit the US market about a month ago, and it's freeekin' discontinued? >Sad

Anyone know the full story? Something better/faster/cheaper on the way?
It's not discontinued. Read HERE
sneeks Wrote:I setup my R3610 last night and so far I'm very impressed. To begin with the Revo seemed to be very sluggish, especially when loading the nVidia control panel, but after removing the pre-installed Acer bloatware everything is much more responsive. The removal of McAfee alone improved the performance.

XBMC is installed and works great and tonight I will complete my setup.

I'm hoping to buy a Belkin Mini Bluetooth Adapter and configure my PS3 remote to work with the Revo.

The Revo comes with W7 64bit, would it run any better with W7 32bit as I have that and may install it if the performance may be improved even more.

Sneeks,

I have an Acer with SBMC, Hulu Desktop and Boxee installed, I want to buy a PS3 bluetooth remote as I hear they work well for this application.

I would love to hear how yours is working, my wife wants to be able to press
play, pause, stop etc. on the remote instead of bringing up the on screen remote like she does with the AppleTV it's replacing.

Thanks
FS
I just set up my 3610 and am getting horrible wifi speeds. With my laptop in the same room I get 15 mbit downloads, and yet the revo is under 1.

Thoughts? I updated windows and the wifi drivers.
I've never been able to get decent speeds over wi-fi so I turned to wired, which is what I wanted to do anyway.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Acer Revo 3610 & Windows 70