• 3(current)
XBMC on Acer Revo 3610 & Windows 7
Absolutely. You can configure XBMC to tell which files are opened with which player.
joebanana Wrote:Absolutely. You can configure XBMC to tell which files are opened with which player.

Oh excellent I did not know that as I've only ever used it on a patched Apple TV. Thanks for the advice.

Having read this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61355 I had assumed that HD viewing was not possible without running this modified test version.
Go here : http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback
and read the playercorefactory.xml method section that explains how to use multiple players.
Excellent, that all seems fairly straightforward.
If you can live without windows xbmc live on the revo is simply amazing.
I personally opted for the R3610 because for a cheap price, it came with Win7.
For that, I don't want to use anything else than 7 if it works the way I want.

There are other reasons I want to stick with 7 :

- I can quit XBMC anytime and do something else.
- I can use my Webcam with Skype to chat with friends.
- I can... a lot of things.

If it works well under Win7, I don't see why it would be better with the Live version.
Like you said "if it works the way I want" It all depends what you want, personaly I didnt need or want an o/s on my revo. All I was going to be doing was play media. Xbmc doesnt run the same on windows as it does on linux vdpau isnt supported in windows for expample. I don't know how xbmc runs in windows with the drivers that are out there for the revo. But I do know my revo boots into xbmc in 25 ish seconds and doesnt drop a frame on anything. Its all down to what you want a dedicated htpc with xbmc or a windows based htpc setup.
Agreed. As long as your Revo works the way you want, and so does mine, we're both happy Wink
The OS will be important for me as I need to run Squeezebox Server at the same time.
Well, I got my system Set up nicely, and I must say, Im very happy with everything.

Here's my final (so far) setup
Windows 7
Ghostscript (I added AudioNextLanguage support)
PS3 Remote
WMP-HC used for my 720p MKV's (Dsplayer doesnt do subtitles yet)

I have the entire remote set for XBMC and added tags for WMP-HC so i can navigate the files and switch audio tracks and subtitles

the only small glitch i have is that if fakefullscreen is on 2 things happen:

1. audio cant be heard on startup until i alt-tab to xbmc. apparently it doesnt startup on top or something.

2. using a external player minimizes XBMC and it does not restore itself. again alt-tab restores it to normal

both problems are nonexistant if it dont use fakefullscreen and im fine with that.

if any one wants my scripts for ghostscript for PS3 remote lemme know, it works pretty much out of box
Windows 7 - XBMC live Dualboot
Acer Aspire REVO R1600 - PS3 Remote
Nvidia ION LE 230
3GB Ram
Im currently running XBMCLive 9.11 b1 as well as Windows 7 on one machine.

I also have a third partition set to hold all of my media which I can access via smb:// from other computers on my network for easy transfer as well as win7 and xbmc.

Thinking about writing out a guide.. anyone interested?
It would be great

I was looking for this.

Been using my Acer Revo with ubuntu + xbmc, but it would be great to go back to W7 and dual boot with XBMClive.
I setup my R3610 last night and so far I'm very impressed. To begin with the Revo seemed to be very sluggish, especially when loading the nVidia control panel, but after removing the pre-installed Acer bloatware everything is much more responsive. The removal of McAfee alone improved the performance.

XBMC is installed and works great and tonight I will complete my setup.

I'm hoping to buy a Belkin Mini Bluetooth Adapter and configure my PS3 remote to work with the Revo.

The Revo comes with W7 64bit, would it run any better with W7 32bit as I have that and may install it if the performance may be improved even more.
I totally recommend Win7 32bit, and yes, I agree with the Nvidia CPL. It does suck for speed.

I figured this out last night, set your power plan to high performance. the balanced plan is ok, but you really need every clock cycle you can on a atom
(especially since the 1600 isnt Hyperthreaded)
Windows 7 - XBMC live Dualboot
Acer Aspire REVO R1600 - PS3 Remote
Nvidia ION LE 230
3GB Ram
I've formatted my R3610 and reinstalled with Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit and it is definitely running faster than with the Acer customised 64bit version it was supplied with.

It's a great media pc and runs silently.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Acer Revo 3610 & Windows 70