• 3(current)
[LINUX] Problems compiling crystalhd branch
andrereis Wrote:Here's a couple of questions for the *NIX gurus in here:

1- When you say it only works with Ubuntu 8.04 due to the kernel version, is it really just because of the kernel? Or is the system's toolchain also relevant?

2- If (1), it's just the kernel, can I get a Gentoo install but use Ubuntu's 8.04 kernel sources instead? I'm going to try this but if it's a no-no they you just saved me a couple hours of pointless work Smile

3- If I nuke the AppleTV hard drive without backing it up, can I get an image to restore it somewhere on the net?

4- Since an official announcement from Broadcom could still be many weeks away, perhaps our community could set up a .deb for Ubuntu8.04 that would result in a working installation of XBMC and kernel driver (can it be a <M> module?) so that people don't have to procure code, files and instructions from all over the net?

Cheers everyone

1) yes. kernel version related, a double free of a semaphore. older kernels don't care, newer ones will panic.

2) Ubuntu 8.04 is running 2.6.24-24-generic, something similar with Gentoo should be fine.

3) Backup the CONTENTS of recovery, not a dd, just copy the contents and put it somewhere safe. See http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/ATVBackup. The contents of recovery is the only thing you need to revert to out of the box factory software.

4) Not me, and I don't recommend it, the deb will be out of date in about a day as this is a development branch. Once you have a linux install, svn up and compiling a new version is simple. Just takes some time.

This thread is the official un-official source of info regarding building a running crystalhd branch under linux.
cake Wrote:1080p playback working smoothly here as well Smile It is pretty "choppy" at first, but it might be related to buffering? It seems as xbmc has enough resources to play with but the system in general is slow and sluggish. Did you guys do any other tweaking other than the stuff davilla already mentioned? I guess I'd be better off running xfce instead of gnome..

I just set up a new session type for XBMC, so instead of going into a gnome desktop at logon it goes straight into XBMC. You can choose the session at the logon prompt. No memory hogging desktop environments for me.
Just create a simple script /usr/bin/launch-xbmc containing:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/xbmc --standalone
Chmod 755 it. Then create the file /usr/share/xsessions/xbmc.desktop:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=XBMC
Comment=XBMC
Exec=/usr/bin/launch-xbmc
Icon=
Type=Application

In the logon screen click 'Options' and 'Select session'. Choose XBMC from the list et voila.
davilla Wrote:up to r25106, the frame display jumping should be resolved. still sort of a hack but at least now it's inside the crystalhd class and not in the renderer.

That was quick Big Grin Those 720p videos play fine now. 1080p is playing smoothly at 50% cpu. This thing is absolutely amazing! Great job, davilla!
Next stop; trying to sort out the Apple remote under Linux... that'll have to wait until tomorrow though Smile
Evinyatar Wrote:That was quick Big Grin Those 720p videos play fine now. 1080p is playing smoothly at 50% cpu. This thing is absolutely amazing! Great job, davilla!
Next stop; trying to sort out the Apple remote under Linux... that'll have to wait until tomorrow though Smile

Smile Smile Thanks

I will say that I'm not using the Apple IR Remote on the AppleTV under Linux. The good old MS MCE USB remote/receiver works great and it still the best remote I've found for XBMC. It even has a volume up/down that I can map to the TV volume.
Davilla,

Your fix definitely took care of my odd black bar flicker problem. Everything is working flawlessly. The Matrix Blu-Ray rip has been playing for around 45 minutes straight with no flaws over 802.11n with full DTS audio track at 1080p/24. It's amazing! Everything I've been looking for. Thank you so much for the effort.

Let me know if I can help test anything if something comes up. I have the environment setup and going, so it's no sweat to drop in new code and compile (just takes a bit). Now for some tweaking... gotta get rid of this keyboard and mouse that's floating around the living room, make it startup on its own, maybe get the remote working (or buy another one).

Thanks!
Evinyatar Wrote:I just set up a new session type for XBMC, so instead of going into a gnome desktop at logon it goes straight into XBMC. You can choose the session at the logon prompt. No memory hogging desktop environments for me.
Just create a simple script /usr/bin/launch-xbmc containing:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/xbmc --standalone
Chmod 755 it. Then create the file /usr/share/xsessions/xbmc.desktop:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=XBMC
Comment=XBMC
Exec=/usr/bin/launch-xbmc
Icon=
Type=Application

In the logon screen click 'Options' and 'Select session'. Choose XBMC from the list et voila.

Nice man, however in this standalone mode I'm getting those horizontal lines "scrolling" down the screen. Do you know if thats because of some gnome+nvidia settings not getting loaded somehow?
cake Wrote:Nice man, however in this standalone mode I'm getting those horizontal lines "scrolling" down the screen. Do you know if thats because of some gnome+nvidia settings not getting loaded somehow?

"horizontal lines 'scrolling' down the screen" sounds like a vsync problem.
davilla Wrote:"horizontal lines 'scrolling' down the screen" sounds like a vsync problem.

And is that something that could/would be different when running xbmc in standalone mode? Im starting to think it was a coincidence that those lines appeared when xbmc was running in standalone mode because i just got them when running xbmc from inside gnome as well. They just suddenly started to appear after maybe a full hour of perfect playback. It went away after a stop and start of the video. I dunno how helpful this is though Smile

Anyway, big thanks to davilla for all his great work!
davilla Wrote:The good old MS MCE USB remote/receiver works great and it still the best remote I've found for XBMC.
I was just getting used to the AppleTV remote in XBMC. But I might just try using the MCE remote with the AppleTV receiver. Catting /dev/hidraw0 shows output when pressing buttons on the MCE remote so it might just work.
Well I think I'm about as setup as I'm going to get with ubuntu 8.04 on the ATV. I bought the SIIG MCE remote yesterday and set it up. Had to compile LIRC since the version included in 8.04 doesn't support that remote. I upgraded the NVidia drivers to 190 version. Setup manual modelines per discussions on here about the Aspire Revo. I'm running synergy in case I need to get a keyboard and mouse on that box (if xbmc crashes). I also setup auto login for XUbuntu and have xbmc auto starting.

Reboot now starts xbmc and mounts everything for me. So far so good.

I think my black boxes/lines problem is a bandwidth issue over 802.11n so running a wire down a floor might be in my future. I need to further test this theory, but all and all this is slick as hell and works very admirably. Nice job Davilla and team! Can't wait for full support!
Following this thread with great interest I may just dive in and try Cake's guide on setting up XBMC on Ubuntu (http://dingleberry.me/2009/11/compile-xb...t-on-linux) -- kudos to all directly and indirectly involved... and please keep it up-to-date for us noobs Nod

Apart form the obvious benefit of utilizing the Broadcom I think Dan1son's comments on a much smoother GUI sounds very interesting indeed! Before diving in...

1. Can I just connect a USB keyboard and mouse and use these with Ubuntu (I believe not everything step can be done via SSH)?

2. And, is it possible to use the Apple remote running Ubuntu? Does it take a lot of work?
<slightly off-topic />

I'm trying to give the crystalhd branch a swing with distcc as I have 2 machines in the network with enough cores to spare (trying to beat the 15min speed record Davilla spoke of earlier). I think I have to do some magic with the bootstrapping as the ./configure chokes on distcc --version

any pointers?

thanks!
Martijn
Dear Davilla,

Just got my ATV+Ubuntu8.04+XBMC setup working, and it's fabulous. Fabulous, I tell you. I cannot begin to tell you how many levels of awsomeness you're into right now.

I am experiencing an annoying bug with subtitles though. They play for 4-5 seconds and then they're gone; if I stop the movie and play it again, they work for another 4-5 seconds before vanishing.

Is this a known issue?

Cheers
andrereis Wrote:Dear Davilla,

Just got my ATV+Ubuntu8.04+XBMC setup working, and it's fabulous. Fabulous, I tell you. I cannot begin to tell you how many levels of awsomeness you're into right now.

I am experiencing an annoying bug with subtitles though. They play for 4-5 seconds and then they're gone; if I stop the movie and play it again, they work for another 4-5 seconds before vanishing.

Is this a known issue?

Cheers

Hehe, I like it Smile

Possible, not even begun to resolve subtitle issues, if any.
cbm64 Wrote:<slightly off-topic />

I'm trying to give the crystalhd branch a swing with distcc as I have 2 machines in the network with enough cores to spare (trying to beat the 15min speed record Davilla spoke of earlier). I think I have to do some magic with the bootstrapping as the ./configure chokes on distcc --version

any pointers?

thanks!
Martijn

configure does not know about distcc so configure like normal. then

mkdir -p /usr/lib/distcc/bin
cd /usr/lib/distcc/bin
ln -s ../../../bin/distcc cc
ln -s ../../../bin/distcc c++
ln -s ../../../bin/distcc gcc
ln -s ../../../bin/distcc g++

export PATH=/usr/lib/distcc/bin:"${PATH}"

only need to make the symlinks once. you can add the PATH to your login. I just paste and run it from a ssh session.

bootstrap and configure does not use distcc so they are poky, same with the link.

"make -j8" and away you go.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Problems compiling crystalhd branch2