Minimal System to Run XBMC
Does anybody know minimal system specs to run XBMC? (Windows or Ubuntu). Minimum speed requirement and minimum video requirements.

I am thinking of building one up for a relative and, this time, I thought I would get some advice. My thought is that it doesn't seem that having a whiz bang speed monster is really necessary. I keep seeing selloffs of machines running around 1.8ghz and I was wondering if that is fast enough. (they are selling these things off cheaper than I can buy a decent motherboard!)

Thank you.........
That all depends...

Linux machine running with a nvidia graphics card that supports vdpau - cpu makes no difference as all the hard work is offloaded to the gpu. Will run quite happily on a single core atom.

Linux or Windows using cpu to decode video, then you will need a lot more than 1.8ghz of cpu - used to recommend about a 3ghz core2 duo proc for full 1080p support.

If your running windows and utilise external player, then you can also get away with less cpu power.

Is no one magical answer, really depends on how you plan to set things up.
Thanks for the reply! That is exactly what I needed to know. I setup my own machine on windows because I was concerned about the drivers but ubuntu will do just fine (even though the nvidia drivers are, sometimes, a little hinky)

Thanks again!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minimal System to Run XBMC0