Colorspace conversion (pc<>tv) 0-255 => 16-235
I'd love to see this incorporated as well.
For windows PC's with Nvidia graphics you can solve it with these settings until this feature appears in XBMC:

ehm... why would you want to do that, if you can set Limited Range in nvidia control panel ! Stare Eek

http://img99.imageshack.us/i/capturevv4.jpg/

This is issue for other people than nvidia+win users.
ezechiel1917 Wrote:ehm... why would you want to do that, if you can set Limited Range in nvidia control panel ! Stare Eek

Because that only effects video playback and not the User Interface.
I would really like to see this as well.
athloni Wrote:Because that only effects video playback and not the User Interface.

hm, it used to work for everything when I had nvidia gpu.
ezechiel1917 Wrote:ehm... why would you want to do that, if you can set Limited Range in nvidia control panel ! Stare Eek

I am running Nvidia and Windows. I have the video part at the bottom of you picture. But mine doesnt say television. It is hooked up to a Panasonic Plasma. Would this maybe be because it is hooked up through a DVI-HDMI cable and doesnt have the HDMI output on the back of the card?

When I change this to 16-235 it does nothing in XBMC. It does work in windows media player though. Any ideas on why. Its like it doesnt see XBMC as a video player and only a desktop application.

So I guess I am asking how I can get XBMC to be recognized as a "video player" for Nvidia. Or is it even possible because it doesnt use an overlay (just a broad guess)?
Its a shame that XBMC lacks this feature.
Studio levels should be also available for the UI, not only in VDPAU rendering. Especialy for those who use Linux because on Linux you can't set the Nvidia driver to output YCbCr444.

There should be an option to the XBMC Apearance Settings called:
"Use Studio Color Levels (YCbCr444) - Yes/No"

With these settings not only Video playback looks right, but also the User Interface, Skin and pictures slideshows.
So in using an Nvidia control panel is it safe to say a TV is always getting 0-255 for XBMC?

This is an issue for everyone inclusing NVidia/Windos uses. If you change the TV/Video seeting in the Nvidia control panel it only effects video players that use overlays (I believe). If I crank everything up in these Nvidia control settings I see a difference in WMP and VLC etc. But there are no changes within XBMC.
I guess you're right I don't use Windows with nvidia GPU anymore, but I'm almost sure it used to work globally when they introduced it.
elupus Wrote:if somebody searches, i've posted the exact brightness/contrast setting to achive that. (don't remember right now) it will only affect video playback thou, but that is the most important.
Thanks, but that only effects Video Playback, not the UI. The Skin and also Picture slideshow don't look good.
Sad
Will this feature become part of XBMC in the future?
Well I just got an ATI card, trust me I hate ATI, but it does the colorspacing correctly for the desktops. I will keep both cards just in case Nvidia pulls their head out and adds a colorspace option to their desktop.
SlaveUnit Wrote:Well I just got an ATI card, trust me I hate ATI, but it does the colorspacing correctly for the desktops. I will keep both cards just in case Nvidia pulls their head out and adds a colorspace option to their desktop.

So with ATI I can change Colorspace in Linux?
Dont know. I use windows. But with my ATI card I lose the ability to use advanced shaders. Its pretty much a no win situation for something or antoher.

With your Nvidia cards are you guys using DVI or HDMI? I wonder if the HDMI port gives a different colorspace over the DVI.

Update: Well I bought a cheapy BFG 210 geforce card with an HDMI port to see if it does change the colorspace. I couldnt even get the system to install/see the card. Something in the device manager with the PCIE slot ran out of resources. Pretty sad on a c2d 2.66 with 4GB ram. I updated the MB's bios to the latest but that didnt change anything. Both ATI and Nvidia should just get together and get off the video biz. They are both pretty crappy in my book.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Colorspace conversion (pc<>tv) 0-255 => 16-2350