REQ: Windows 7 Guide to SMB Shares.
Hello,

I would like to make a request. I have been using XBMC on my Xbox Classic for several years now and have never been able to properly setup SMB shares from my computer to the Xbox. I tinker around with it once in a awhile but I can never seem to get it to work. I now have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installed on my computer and STILL can't get it to work.

I used to use CCXgui but it doesn't seem to work in Win 7 64-bit. I have fallen back to installing XBMC on my computer and enabling the UPnP Server, which works, but is not ideal.

Can someone in the know PLEASE write a definitive guide to setting up SMB video shares in Windows 7 (64-bit preferably) to stream to an Xbox with XBMC? Please make it as simple and n00b friendly as possible. Step-by-step instructions. Cover every angle you can like static IP vs DHCP (I'm using static on my network personally), and removing the Windows Live Assistant thing. I would be forever greatful to whomever can do this.

PLEASE and Thank you.
Introduction

As has been documented elsewhere, XBMC's scrapers and library work best when full access to video and audio files is provided to them via an SMB share. However, MS is making it more and more difficult to share using SMB in Windows. You have to turn off Homegroup and do all sorts of other messy things. The following is a guide to quickly and easily turn SMB sharing on in Windows 7.

Preparation

As a initial step, you should be connected to your network. I, personally, am connected using a LAN cable and have been provided an IP address by my router using DHCP. If you prefer to use Static IP, there should be no real problem. If you can see the internet, you should be connected enough to the router for our purposes. Also, when you are first connecting your Windows 7 computer to your network, it will ask if you are connecting to Home, Work, or a Public network. This guide presumes that you selected Home. The same steps SHOULD work if you selected Work. They will almost certainly not work if you selected Public. Also, sometimes you will be asked to be certain if you want to do something or you will be asked to go up a level in clearance to do something. This guide presumes that you agree to all of that.

The Process

Step one: Click the "Network Internet Access" icon at the bottom right of your screen, next to your clock, speaker icon, and possibly power icon. Click open the "Network and Sharing Center."

Step two: Locate and click "Choose homegroup and sharing options." You are now on the "Change Homegroup settings" window. In this window, click "Leave the homegroup..." A warning will pop up. Go ahead and click "Leave the homegroup."

Step three: You are now presented with a page labeled "Share with other home computers running Windows 7." From here click the link "Change advanced sharing settings..."

Step four: You are now at the "Change sharing options for different network profiles" page. This is where you are going to do the nitty gritty. I'm going to go option by option. Most of these will probably already be configured correctly, but I'll tell you how they should be configured, nonetheless.

Network Discovery: turn on network discovery

File and printer sharing: turn on

Public folder sharing: Your choice. It can be on or off.

Media Streaming: By default, this is off. You can turn it on if you want, but it is not why we are here, so I'm going to leave it off for now.

Password protected sharing: Turn off password protected sharing

HomeGroup connections: This doesn't really matter, since you already left homegroup. However, I allowed Windows to manage my homegroup connections. It seemed easier than arguing.

Step five: Click Save changes. Now close the window that says "Share with other home computers running Windows 7."

Step six: Navigate to a folder you want to share. I am navigating to D:\Movies. First, left click on D:\Movies (or whatever your folder is named) to make sure it is highlighted. Then, right click on the folder. Put your mouse over "Share with" and four options should pop up "Nobody, Homegroup (read), Homegroup (read/write), Specific people." Click "Specific people..."

Step seven: You should now be on a dialog that is entitled "Choose people to share with." Your goal is to share the folder with "Everyone." On the dialog there should be a list of people. This list might include "Administrator," your username, "Guest," and "Everyone." It might only contain a subset of that group. If "everyone" is listed, simply click everyone, then click "Share." Voila, done. If you want to decide whether to keep Everyone as a Reader or change them to a Reader/Writer (or vice versa), read Step eight.

If Everyone is not listed, click the dropdown arrow next to the "Add" button. "Everyone" should be on the list there. Click it, then click Add. If "Everyone" isn't on the dropdown list, you may be able to type "Everyone" in and click Add. Feel free to comment if this is an issue and/or it doesn't work.

Step eight: Once "Everyone" has been added to the list, you have two choices. You can choose to keep "Everyone" as a Reader only, in which case XBMC would be able to read the files, but could not write anything into the folder, meaning it could not correct file names or export nfos and tbns into the folder, if you want that. Or you can choose to change Everyone to Read/Write, using the drop down arrow on the Everyone line. Then XBMC can export, but you have to deal with the danger that anyone on the network could change the files.

Once you've made your decision, click "Share."

Step nine: Repeat steps seven and eight for all folders you wish to share.

Conclusion

Now you can add your sources in XBMC without difficulty, but the guide to XBMC sources and scraping is in the Wiki and doesn't need to be repeated here.
Thanks Nate,

I've followed step by step and found your instructions very clear and concise.

However, it changed nothing and I still got workgroup not found.

So..I:

a) Created a user on my Win 7 called XBOX and gave it a password XBOX
b) I went to settings in XBMC and set default user and pw as XBOX and XBOX

tried again.. still WORKGROUP NOT FOUND

so I disabled my firewall "Kaspersky IS 2010" and voila it worked.

So I dunno which part did the trick but its now working finding all my shares

Now to sort out my firewall to permit it to work while enabled.
OK : for those with similar probs:
In Kaspersky just go into settings>System security>firewall settings>networks and set the network to local or trusted.
Maybe this reply is 3 years to late but better late than never

I couldn't get my classic xbox connected to my windows 7 64b pc. The xbox could see my share but when i wanted to connect it kept asking me for a user name and password. so just like Herra i

a) Created a user on my Win 7 called XBOX and gave it a password XBOX
b) I went to settings in XBMC and set default user and pw as XBOX and XBOX

it didn't work for meSad

After lots of swearing and cursing i finally got it working by following this guy's instructions on youtube. its old but it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...Qomxrp2AXA

http://sshcs.com/xbmc/ it's a newer version as in the video but it got the job done perfectly for me

The only thing i did different to make sure my xbox xbmc installation wouldn't get damaged.
I changed the name of the xbmx folder you have to copy to your xbox to xbmctwo just to make sure it didn't wrote over the xbmc folder witch already existed in my xbox.

Hope this post was useful for anyone and not a complete waste of bits and bite's

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
REQ: Windows 7 Guide to SMB Shares.1