• 2(current)
Win HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 7
essence25 Wrote:Perhaps you have a permission related issue..

Thanks for the reply.
Do you mean permission from the xbox to view the files or from the pc to connect to the 'media server'?
Would creating a new user 'xbox' with password xbox or is that for something completely different?
To be honest i'm confusing myself with all this SMB, http, ftp stuff - which one should i be configuring with passwords etc?
Sorry for the list of questions i think my brain has finally given up after all flashing, reflashing, installing, reinstalling, configuring, reinstalling........
Thanks.
Rrrr Wrote:Found my mistake:

Browse does not work the way one would expect
(the error says it: not implemented...)

In the Add Source screen you need to enter a full name (!) and then OK.

EXAMPLE
smb://W7PC/sharename
then OK

Hence, the instructions in post #1 are working fine, thanks so much.

Ok so just incase if no one got it to work...cuse it took me 2 hours....

Example: smb://"pc name"/"name of folder"
it has to be typed exactly like that with no quotations of course.
Frankly it would be great if the Libraries system could be implemented in XBMC. I think it makes very easy to manage stuff on the server.
To get rid of function not implemented, there is an easy fix:

Fix SMB browsing to Windows 7 shares

Add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:

###### Ubuntu Update Repos
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse

then as root in putty run:

apt-get update

then

apt-get upgrade

This installs a newer Samba with bigfixes. You should be able to browse SMB shares on Win7 now.

4g. Enable Samba
(Browse/copy directly from your windows machine to ASROCK)

Enabling SMB/Samba file sharing of XBMC Live folders

The Asrock Ion 330 comes with an internal hard drive if you would like to copy content to that HD running XBMC Live through Windows networking then that is possible. This is also useful for copying downloaded skins or plugins if you dont want to go through the built in XBMC svn-repo installer. Another possible use if you wish to run a third party media scraper like ember media manager so as to not have to use the built XBMC scraper to manage meta-data content.

Step 1) Start Putty & login as root

type in apt-get update

type in apt-get install samba & press y when prompted

Once its finished installing samba close Putty.

Step 2) Now login as root through WinSCP and browse to /etc/samba/ and right click on then edit smb.conf, then at the very end of the file add the following text lines, just copy and paste from the quote box below:

>>
[xbmc home]
comment = XBMC Home Share
path = /home/xbmc
force user = xbmc
inherit permissions = yes
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

[xbmc system]
comment = XBMC System Share
path = /home/xbmc/.xbmc
force user = xbmc
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
<<

(add any others the same way)

Step 3) Click the floppy disk icon to save changes then close WinSCP and reboot your XBMC Live system.

If all has gone well you should see your Asrock Ion 330 XBMC Live system show up in windows network browser with any folders you created in the home folder in XBMC file manager. System files for copying skins or anything else can be copied in through the system share folder.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Fiirikkusu Wrote:Ok so just incase if no one got it to work...cuse it took me 2 hours....

Example: smb://"pc name"/"name of folder"
it has to be typed exactly like that with no quotations of course.

I am sorry... but I still don't know where to type the complete route. Should it be in "add a network location" or selecting the SMB network share?

R.
bossanova808 Wrote:To get rid of function not implemented, there is an easy fix:

Fix SMB browsing to Windows 7 shares

Add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:

###### Ubuntu Update Repos
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse

then as root in putty run:

apt-get update

then

apt-get upgrade

This installs a newer Samba with bigfixes. You should be able to browse SMB shares on Win7 now.

4g. Enable Samba
(Browse/copy directly from your windows machine to ASROCK)

Enabling SMB/Samba file sharing of XBMC Live folders

The Asrock Ion 330 comes with an internal hard drive if you would like to copy content to that HD running XBMC Live through Windows networking then that is possible. This is also useful for copying downloaded skins or plugins if you dont want to go through the built in XBMC svn-repo installer. Another possible use if you wish to run a third party media scraper like ember media manager so as to not have to use the built XBMC scraper to manage meta-data content.

Step 1) Start Putty & login as root

type in apt-get update

type in apt-get install samba & press y when prompted

Once its finished installing samba close Putty.

Step 2) Now login as root through WinSCP and browse to /etc/samba/ and right click on then edit smb.conf, then at the very end of the file add the following text lines, just copy and paste from the quote box below:

>>
[xbmc home]
comment = XBMC Home Share
path = /home/xbmc
force user = xbmc
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

[xbmc system]
comment = XBMC System Share
path = /home/xbmc/.xbmc
force user = xbmc
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
<<

(add any others the same way)

Step 3) Click the floppy disk icon to save changes then close WinSCP and reboot your XBMC Live system.

If all has gone well you should see your Asrock Ion 330 XBMC Live system show up in windows network browser with any folders you created in the home folder in XBMC file manager. System files for copying skins or anything else can be copied in through the system share folder.

Hi there i tried creating the share but when i try to browse the xbmc from my windows 7 machine i get a error message

the user name can not be found?

any ideas what that means mate
I also found removing Windows Live ID Sign In Assistant fixed the login problem from my Cyclone MKV2.
I actually found I had two copies of this program running! I don't think I requested either!
But I removed both and am now sailing full steam.

Nigel
P.S. I immediately afterwards found Windows Update wanted to install a Windows Live component and a Security Essentials element. So I will see if that has recreated the situation I had before.
I should have guessed. The Windows Update prompt did reinstall Windows Live ID Sign In Assistant and two copies aswell!!!
BUT I checked the Cyclone after removing just one of the copies and the login problem was fixed again!
AND I didn't get a prompt from Windows Update to install anything.

So now I am set FINALLY!

Nigel
thnx,i also had problems in w7....

i dont know what i did from the tutorial but no my xbox sees my public folder only .but thats ok for me since i now store my videos in that folder and xbmc plays them(avi movies) with no problem.

i also had the password problem in xbmc settings but i did something in network settings in w7,i did turn off the''password protection''to share over my network.
after i did that the xbmc did not asked for a password and goes directly to my ''users/public/movies folder.
i added that folder as''source''on the menu in XBMC and it works.

to bad i have an bad ass modem with build in router(davilink 2020)so i cant use it for online like youtube etc.(it ''upnp''is out of the software,dont know why they did that.many people have that problems with that router)
but watching movies directly frommy harddisk to the xbox to my tv works like a charm!im happy with it.
I'm stumped with this issue. Prior to a few days ago i was happily running my xbox as a media server using xbmc (a few years old version now) without any problems at all. Then i upgraded my PC to windows 7 and it just doesn't see anything on the PC.

Previously on the XBOX i would use workgroup SMB and automatically all my PC shared folders were there.

Now i've followed this guide and still nothing, the Xbox just freezes when i try selecting workgroup SMB. The guide does mention about manually adding source files, my only problem is that, that option isn't on the version of XBMC that i'm running.

I'm at a loss, can anyone help?
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but as I lost a lot of hair trying to solve this problem in the past, I thought I'd mention this relatively common issue here:

Windows 7 requires changes to the registry to keep the computer with the content on it from dropping the network shares. If you are having this problem, you must set the lanmanserver/parameters/size key to 3 (for a fileserver). Check the link for details, but don't skip this step or you will eventually have annoying dropouts of your entire media library.
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
myrison Wrote:I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but as I lost a lot of hair trying to solve this problem in the past, I thought I'd mention this relatively common issue here:

Windows 7 requires changes to the registry to keep the computer with the content on it from dropping the network shares. If you are having this problem, you must set the lanmanserver/parameters/size key to 3 (for a fileserver). Check the link for details, but don't skip this step or you will eventually have annoying dropouts of your entire media library.

I'll give that a try, however at the minute my problem is that the computer just doesn't see the xbox. Now i've looked at FTP and the xbox is set up, however the only guidance on the XBMC wiki is for setting up XP to find the Xbox via FTP, however in Windows 7 the particular functions that are in XP no longer exist to add a network place.

I was wondering though if a NAS connected to my network would be picked up by the xbox as XP used to.
Hi bluecat, just so I don't cause you any confusion, my fix wasn't necessarily aimed at you, just general help for others having Win 7 problems in the future. I doubt it will solve your particular problem.

I'm not sure if the xbox video source interface looks the same as the Linux version, but if so, just go to add video source, add new source, choose Windows file share (smb) as the type, and then under server name, type your computer name (the one with the file share), then type username, then password. When I try to go in through the existing windows file share option under add source and navigate through the workgroup, it's less consistent then just creating a new video source/windows share and typing in the server name and credentials directly.

I've noticed filesharing does not work well if you don't have a password on the account you are connecting with on the Windows machine, so make sure you've got a password set up too. (by the way, I have not read this whole thread of suggestions, so if this is repeating something, my apologies)
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
Woo hoo. sorted it out.

For everyone still having this problem i followed the following guide and managed to get it all sorted out.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Foru...5dc46ad54f

just remember to add the root of the folder i.e. hard drive to the share in the installed program.

*sighs the relief of a happy man*
No i tell a lie.

I managed to get it working but when i turned my firewall back on again to go on the internet, it has stopped working. I mean totally stopped working, not just when the firewall is on. I've turned it off again and the xbox fails to find the PC again, i've duplicated all the actions and still no joy.

However i have found this out. When i open the Network page (when you go to start and select your profile name, down the side you have network), i see my pc. When i right click on it and select 'connect with remote desktop connection', i get the error message 'Your computer could not connect to another console session on the remote computer because you already have a console session in progress'.

Now i think this is a little strange so i go to the control panel and open up the remote App and desktop connections page, only to find that there are no current session running.

I suspect the reason why a few of us managed to get this thing working the once and not again, is because it creates a session but doesn't stop it. I suspect if we could somehow close this mysterious session then it will work, but its all guess work.

However i don't know how to do that, so again can anyone help?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 74