• 2(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO get Hama MCE Remote Control to fully work in Ubuntu 9.04
lx_cool_j,

quick q: where did you get the lircd.conf from?

I tried to make one with irrecord, but I get zeros for all of the codes. Bizarrely, I tried to make a conf file for the mouse event device and that worked.

Any info of how you did it would be great.

If anyone else has any advice, it will be appreciated too.

Thanks.
Post #15 works for the Hama MCE remote.

Things not working so far:
- mouse input via remote
- some keys are mapped to "combinations" (e.g. the #-key), which don't work in this configuration.

Any ideas?

I googled around somewhat. Apparently (correct me if I'm wrong) without lirc the remote control acts like a keyboard-mouse-combo.

Has anyone tried getting things to work by modifying the keyboard.xml?
Servus!

I'm using the remote. It took me weeks and months to get XBMC up and running. Even if only a few buttons are working, I'm glad that suspend/resume works.

I'm scared that I screw something, if I try it again. No

What are those commands for?

lx_cool_j Wrote:add the following code (IMPORTANT: the entry has to be written before "exit 0") to
/etc/rc.local
Code:
./home/[xbmc-user]/lircstart.sh

read out the event numbers for your hid:
Code:
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

you get something like this (i only copied the important entries containing Name="HID...):
Code:
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=05a4 Product=9881 Version=0110
N: Name="HID 05a4:9881"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:04.0-3/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/usb2/2-3/2-3:1.0/input/input3
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd [b]event3[/b]
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=e080ffdf 1cfffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=05a4 Product=9881 Version=0110
N: Name="HID 05a4:9881"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:04.0-3/input1
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/usb2/2-3/2-3:1.1/input/input4
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd mouse1 [b]event4[/b]
B: EV=17
B: KEY=1f0000 0 2020000 3878 d801d001 1e0000 0 0 0
B: REL=103
B: MSC=10

event3 and event4 are the two important entries from the cat we made before that we need in the next step. they could be different on your system.

create a file
/home/[xbmc-user]/lircstart.sh

please note that the code change from dec 17, 2009. the old code contained a copy/paste error...
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/etc/init.d/lirc stop
lircd --driver=devinput --device=/dev/input/event3 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc1.pid --listen=9988;
lircd --driver=devinput --device=/dev/input/event4 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc2.pid --connect=localhost:9988;

be careful to change event3 and event4 to the event numbers you got for your system.

I'm curious. Will I need those steps if the remote is recognized and working correctly besides of some buttons?
@Surjio,
i found it somewhere on the internet but edited it for my needs. @leftbit wrote that some keys are mapped to combinations. that's true, i ignored some keys in lircd.conf so they are not interpreted. pressing these buttons are recognized as one key press. the problem is, that some keys are recognized as the same key press. but that's better than nothing...

it's true that the mouse is not working any more, that's the price you have to pay for now. i don't really need it, so no problem for me.
@Evin
servus in den osten österreichs...

simply said - this is for interpreting the remote as a remote and not as keyboard/mouse combination device.
lx_cool_j Wrote:simply said - this is for interpreting the remote as a remote and not as keyboard/mouse combination device.

'kay.

I was slightly confused because I only got one event-entry. :confused2:

Furthermore remote.xml and keymap.xml were successfully loaded, but the additional buttons were still without any functions.
Evin Wrote:Servus!

I'm using the remote. It took me weeks and months to get XBMC up and running. Even if only a few buttons are working, I'm glad that suspend/resume works.

I'm scared that I screw something, if I try it again. No

I'm curious. Will I need those steps if the remote is recognized and working correctly besides of some buttons?

Yes,
In my Karmic remote was working even without lirc. I did this steps (with some modification mentioned earlier) and now all butons are usable.
vibowit Wrote:Yes,
In my Karmic remote was working even without lirc. I did this steps (with some modification mentioned earlier) and now all butons are usable.

do you use the same HAMA remote? Could you post us your config, to give us an example what's the difference betwenn your config and the config which was posted were ?

I did the same Steps as explained in the tut in the first posting, plus the modification posted for karmic, so most buttons from my HAMA remote work well, but some functions, like OSD or codec Info are not configured by this tutorial. So, what changes i must do, to get this working ?
DocEvil Wrote:do you use the same HAMA remote? Could you post us your config, to give us an example what's the difference betwenn your config and the config which was posted were ?
My remote is Ortek VRC-1100, but codes are the same, so I used this configs.

DocEvil Wrote:I did the same Steps as explained in the tut in the first posting, plus the modification posted for karmic, so most buttons from my HAMA remote work well, but some functions, like OSD or codec Info are not configured by this tutorial.
OSD buton is called "TV", and the OSD is called "PICTURES"
They are in the row under color buttons on my remote.
Really, you need so much steps to get your remote to work?
I have a somewhat different problem now.

With 9.04, the remote just worked (after editing keymap.xml and lircmap.xml for my differend remote) in XBMC.
With 9.10, the remote just doesn't work in XBMC.
Note that it works for other apps I have configured so lirc is fine.

If the remote is working with lirc and it works with all my apps, how do I make XBMC notice it's there? I still have my keymap and lircmap back from 9.04 when it worked.
Excellent tutorial!

I am not running as root so I can't use your lircstart.sh script, but after weeks trying I finally have my xbmc running with my hama remote.

Thank you very much.
Is it running out of the box with 9.10 or do i still need lirc and the whole configuration?

What about the pre release xbmc 10.04 ?
ubuntuf4n Wrote:Is it running out of the box with 9.10 or do i still need lirc and the whole configuration?

What about the pre release xbmc 10.04 ?

I ordered this remote last week and I am awaiting it next week ... so I would be intrested as well if its working out of the box with Ubuntu 9.10!?

any experience someone!?

thanks
rebuilding ....
krijeck Wrote:if its working out of the box with Ubuntu 9.10!?
Not all buttons are working in Karmic. See my previous posts.
Is it possible to start the xbmc from standby or hibernate?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get Hama MCE Remote Control to fully work in Ubuntu 9.042