[LINUX] HOW-TO get Hama MCE Remote Control to fully work in Ubuntu 9.04
Thumbs Up 
vibowit Wrote:Hi,
To make it work under Karmic you have to edit:
./home/[xbmc-user]/lircstart.sh

add one line to it
Code:
ln -s /var/run/lirc/lircd /dev/lircd

With this modification it works like a charm in Karmic and XBMC 9.11 beta2.
I have not hama, but Vista MCE Remote VRC-1100 and the codes are identical.

Thanks and regards.

got my Hama remote today! unpacked it - put batteries in - plugged the IR receiver in and copied your single line into ./home/[xbmc-user]/lircstart.sh and voila! the Hama MCE Remote worked!!!

I did not have enough time to test all buttons but it seems that the most important buttons work. I will try all of them later on when my wife goes to bed Rolleyes ...

One thing I realized during my short first test was that the volume buttons need to be pressed more times and do not react if you press and hold down the volume up (or down).
thanks ... Big Grin

EDIT:
just went thru all the buttons of the Hama MCE Remote and it seems that not all the buttons are working ... funnily I found out that no lirc is installed! I am running Ubuntu 9.10 ...
rebuilding ....
for me all works fine (I have been following the Wiki for Hama setup)

Has anybody succeed pairing HAMA IR-receiver with Logitech Harmony remotes?
Looks I cannot find the IR-receiver in the Logitech database. Keypresses can be learned, but there are serious lags and repeat problems.
Any help?Confused
Does anyone know how several posts and replies of mine have just disappeared from this thread? I was even unsubscribed from it?
i think, this is the reason:
http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/03/17/were-back/
ah makes sense now, thought something like that. shucks now I have to start troubleshooting from the start. One thing I would like to know, when I finally got the remote mapped I see that most of the keys map to the same command, how do you get around this? how can I make 2 different keys which map to the same command actually do different things?? Seems impossible?

Thanks
i am sorry, i don't have a workaround for this and learned to live with this "problem" as i don't really need that much keys. the main keys are working and that's ok for me. for anything else, there's a wireless keyboard ;-)

the problem is that some buttons are two ir commands in reality and i simply skip the first one as i don't really know how to interpret two commands. if anybody has a solution, please share it with us.
Funny, I had given up on getting 100% of the Adesso to work months ago, since the important buttons worked out of the box, I called it even for $25. After all this time, I followed the instructions in the first post and additionally creating the symlink. My Adesso 1100 now 95% works, (buttons under colored keys are a bit flaky, but figuring out 4 is better than 20 keys). I know get one-touch access using the colored keys, and the existing keys still function and are cleaned up a bit. I will also mention, there is a stick in the Wiki regarding the Hama, and those instructions do NOT work. If an admin catches by this, this post should be used instead (though they are a bit similar, and the wiki post uses the proper udev rules file rather than a bash script...fyi). Major props to all involved, you have successfully made XBMC work with a $25 remote! It doesn't get any better than that.

FYI Karmic with an older v20xx XBMC build on a Zotac.
hm ... there are many post missing: here is a REAL nice solution:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8827

Try it. When done you will think "lirc suchs"!
( Only source code )

I changed the setup a little because I liked the keyboard emulation of the Hama MCE for my Launcher ( ubuntu netbook-launcher )

hama_mce.rules
Code:
#
#  start the hama_mce HID parser/keycode translator for XBMC
#
#  There is also a LIRC driver available for this, but some buttons are unusable then, since
#  they send mouse button events instead of key press events.
#
# SYMLINK and MODE is not needed. but set the right OWNER!
BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idVendor}=="05a4", SYSFS{idProduct}=="9881", SYMLINK+="hamamce" OWNER="xbmc", MODE="0666"

now I can start the hama_mce binary ( read link doc ) and the xbmc with a little script. And only then the other input devices from the hama mce are dropped (keyboard/mouse).
wow the post by xoanon about ticket http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8827 makes the HAMA MCE REMOTE / ortek vrc 1100 remote work flawlessly..

why isnt this more popular? i have been struggling with this remote for months, and this simple thing makes it work. all the buttons, it even diferentiates the info button from the right click...

now i have a question, i am using the TV button to exit xbmc and run tvtime. and this kernel driver intercepts remote signals and sends them directly to xbmc. my question is, how can i make it release the intercepting and make it work with tvtime OR make this program work also with tvtime ? any ideas?

thanks in advance
Juanjo
Philips 32PFL6606D
Intel N3150 fanless + 4Gb DDR3 + SSD 64Gb + 3TB+3TB WD RED
Hama MCE remote.
Ubuntu 18.04 minimal install + KODI
Hi @all

i bought an hama mce remote 52451 and it seems to be an impossible job to get this remote running. i really followed all the steps of this tutorial but irw returns nothing while i'm pressing buttons on the remote.

I don't understand the last two posts. How can i integrate this into my configuration? Do i have to follow the tutorial an the beginning of the post also then?

i'm getting crazy with this remote Angry

I'm using yavdr 0.2 and want to use the remot efor vdr and xbmc.

Thanks a lot
could anyone please explain how to install the thing xoanon refers to?

i have followed both the wiki page and the first post of this thread. i never could use all keys of the hama remote.

do i have to delete lirc?

would be really nice if someone could post a short explanation on how to use this.
I'm very interested too.I've compiled the hama_mce binary and it works,but I don't know how xbmc can comunicate with it.Do I need to write a script?How?
Thumbs Up 
ok Ernie,I've got it!!Big Grin

First: compile the hama_mce bin and fire it up .
Second: make sure that the option "Allow programs on this system to control xbmc" is enabled.
Et voilà!!! It works perfectly!!!Also the infamous "i" key !!! Yeah NodNod

If you have problems,check with ps -ef if you see the hama_mce running and then check with netstat -a -n if udp port 9777 (eventserver) is listening.That's all!

We need this eventclient in Dharma final!!!PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!!
thank you slux!

i think i did something wrong. maybe you can point me in the right direction.

i've compiled the hama_mce binary but something went wrong.
can you tell me how to remove it so i can start again?

cheers,
ernie
I, too, tried compiling this on xbmc Live dharma. Did a make and a "sudo make install", but now XBMC wont start. My system will not go past the bootsplash of ubuntu/xbmc (the one with the dots underneath it).

I still have ssh access to the system, though

EDIT: No, wait. It actually boots, it just takes 2 minutes now...

EDIT2: wow, the event client works very nicely. Keyrepeats work now Big Grin. I just wish I could keep using it. Unfortunately making my system take way longer to boot... well... sucks Sad
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get Hama MCE Remote Control to fully work in Ubuntu 9.042