New Handbrake doesn't like XBMC for XBox?
I started using the new handbrakecli (0.94) but it doesn't like my switches from the prior version. Does anyone have the settings for the new handbrake that will work on my old XBox?

John
DenverNEWBie Wrote:I started using the new handbrakecli (0.94) but it doesn't like my switches from the prior version. Does anyone have the settings for the new handbrake that will work on my old XBox?

John

You'll have to stand by for a couple of days on that one. I'm finalising my settings for the Mac version 0.9.4 GUI using the x264 codec (should be easy to adapt for cli). It's 95% there now, just a few videos have stuttered. I'll iron it out soon though.

What was your string in 0.9.3? You know xvid / avi has been dropped completely?

UPDATE

Updated settings 12-1-2010: HERE

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Yup. Had a friend who gave me his optomized string. Hang on, its pretty nasty:
C:\users\john\handbrake\HandBrakeCLI -C 2 -i z:\NewStuff\TEST_DVD\VIDEO_TS -o Z:\MoreVobs\Converted\TEST_DVD.mkv -f mkv --deinterlace="slow" -P --detelecine -e x264 -b 1100 -2 -T -a 1,1 -E ac3,faac -B 160,160 -R 0,0 -6 dpl2,dpl2 -D 1,1 -U -F --markers="C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\TEST_DVD.csv" -x ref=4:mixed-refs=1:no-fast-pskip=1:bframes=6:b-pyramid=1:weightb=1:nf=1Confusedubq=7:trellis=1:analyse=p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8:8x8dct=1:ratetol=4.0:qcomp=0.5:me=umh:merange=32:no-psnr=1:no-ssim=1 -v
Well I'm using the Mac GUI version, but codec settings should be the same.

Here's my plist, pretty much final.

Code:
<dict>
        <key>AudioList</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>AudioBitrate</key>
                <string>384</string>
                <key>AudioEncoder</key>
                <string>AC3 Passthru</string>
                <key>AudioMixdown</key>
                <string>AC3 Passthru</string>
                <key>AudioSamplerate</key>
                <string>Auto</string>
                <key>AudioTrack</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>AudioTrackDRCSlider</key>
                <real>0.0</real>
                <key>AudioTrackDescription</key>
                <string>English (AC3) (5.1 ch)</string>
            </dict>
        </array>
        <key>ChapterMarkers</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>Default</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>FileFormat</key>
        <string>MKV file</string>
        <key>Folder</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Mp4HttpOptimize</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>Mp4LargeFile</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>Mp4iPodCompatible</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>PictureAutoCrop</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>PictureBottomCrop</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>PictureDeblock</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>PictureDecomb</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>PictureDecombCustom</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>PictureDecombDeinterlace</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>PictureDeinterlace</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>PictureDeinterlaceCustom</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>PictureDenoise</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>PictureDenoiseCustom</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>PictureDetelecine</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>PictureDetelecineCustom</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>PictureHeight</key>
        <integer>544</integer>
        <key>PictureKeepRatio</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>PictureLeftCrop</key>
        <integer>10</integer>
        <key>PicturePAR</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>PictureRightCrop</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>PictureTopCrop</key>
        <integer>2</integer>
        <key>PictureWidth</key>
        <integer>720</integer>
        <key>PresetBuildNumber</key>
        <string>2009112300</string>
        <key>PresetDescription</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>PresetName</key>
        <string>xbox 0.9.6</string>
        <key>Type</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>UsesMaxPictureSettings</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>UsesPictureFilters</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>UsesPictureSettings</key>
        <integer>2</integer>
        <key>VideoAvgBitrate</key>
        <string>1360</string>
        <key>VideoEncoder</key>
        <string>H.264 (x264)</string>
        <key>VideoFramerate</key>
        <string>Same as source</string>
        <key>VideoGrayScale</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>VideoQualitySlider</key>
        <real>21.5</real>
        <key>VideoQualityType</key>
        <integer>2</integer>
        <key>VideoTargetSize</key>
        <string>700</string>
        <key>VideoTurboTwoPass</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>VideoTwoPass</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>x264Option</key>
        <string>keyint=240:min-keyint=24:ref=8:mixed-refs=1:no-fast-pskip=1:bframes=6:b-adapt=2:b-pyramid=1:weightb=1:no-cabac=1:subq=7:analyse=p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8:8x8dct=1:ratetol=4.0:qcomp=0.5:me=umh:merange=32:cabac=0:deblock=1,1</string>
    </dict>

So this is the advanced string.

keyint=240:min-keyint=24:ref=8:mixed-refs=1:no-fast-pskip=1:bframes=6:b-adapt=2:b-pyramid=1:weightb=1:no-cabac=1Confusedubq=7:analyse=p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8:8x8dct=1:ratetol=4.0:qcomp=0.5:me=umh:merange=32:cabac=0:deblock=1,1

With each source you need to vary the picture size (pixels).

Basically with this preset you need to keep the total encoded pixels less than 300,000 . (704x400 = 281600)(720x540 = 388800)
This is with AC3 pass through. If you use MP3 or AAC it takes more processor, so drop your total encoded pixels.

This is not my final. I've been using CQ at 20-22 (57%-61%)? but I'm not certain if you can reliably run vbv-maxrate in this single pass setting. I'm still learning.

I thought AVI was still there but not xvid...more of ffmpeg.
dwmcqueen Wrote:I thought AVI was still there but not xvid...more of ffmpeg.

Nope. No more AVI. Well, in the Mac version anyway, but pretty sure it's across the board.

Basicaly they're saying, AVI is a dead container.

THANKS for the info. Let me know when you get a final setting.
DenverNEWBie Wrote:Yup. Had a friend who gave me his optomized string. Hang on, its pretty nasty:
C:\users\john\handbrake\HandBrakeCLI -C 2 -i z:\NewStuff\TEST_DVD\VIDEO_TS -o Z:\MoreVobs\Converted\TEST_DVD.mkv -f mkv --deinterlace="slow" -P --detelecine -e x264 -b 1100 -2 -T -a 1,1 -E ac3,faac -B 160,160 -R 0,0 -6 dpl2,dpl2 -D 1,1 -U -F --markers="C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\TEST_DVD.csv" -x ref=4:mixed-refs=1:no-fast-pskip=1:bframes=6:b-pyramid=1:weightb=1:nf=1Confusedubq=7:trellis=1:analyse=p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8:8x8dct=1:ratetol=4.0:qcomp=0.5:me=umh:merange=32:no-psnr=1:no-ssim=1 -v

I notice you're running deinterlace and detelecine. This is only required depending on the source material, not always.

Give it a test run without these, and with my advanced string (after the -x in yours)

Also, with my string you might be able to bump up your bitrate to 1200 (but it may spike a bit above that)

Cranial Wrote:I notice you're running deinterlace and detelecine. This is only required depending on the source material, not always.

Can you explain in what instances one or the other should be used?
Sory - meant MPEG-4 is still there, which I thought took less CPU power to decode. Are we better off with H.264 or MPEG-4 for the xbox?
DenverNEWBie Wrote:Can you explain in what instances one or the other should be used?

If you open up your source and it looks like this in handbrake preview:

Then you need to select "de-interlace". Otherwise leave it off.

As for detelecine, I've never used it. But from what I've quickly read, it's for source material that has had extra frames added to it to change it's frame rate. e.g. 23.98fps up to 30fps for television broadcasting. I think detelecine removes these extra frames? I may be corrected, I've never looked into it.

dwmcqueen Wrote:Sory - meant MPEG-4 is still there, which I thought took less CPU power to decode. Are we better off with H.264 or MPEG-4 for the xbox?

MPEG-4 (ffmpeg) will use less cpu power to decode. But x264 will give you a better overall final quality, and a smaller file size. I haven't had much success with ffmpeg, but then again, never did pursue it much.

Might give it a test for fun.

Cranial Wrote:Here's my plist, pretty much final.

Thank you Cranial! I'm going to try this. When you get to the REAL final, let us know!
Wink
If it's helpful to anyone, I use these settings in 0.9.4 for TV episodes that are in 720p x264 mkv files:

Picture:
- Keep the original size (If it's 1080p, I choose "Loose" for Anamorphic instead of "None" and lower the width until the height calculates to 720)
- Cropping - Automatic

Video Filters:
- Leave it to all the regular defaults

Video:
- Video Codec: MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)
- Framerate: Same as source
- Quality: Constant Quality set to 83.33% QP:6

Audio:
- I just leave this to whatever it defaults to, mostly because I'm not sure how to optimize this any and what I'm getting works. =) Advice? Most files I encounter will show 2 tracks, "AAC" & "AC3 Passthru.

I do nothing with the rest of the tabs.

This results in extremely few dropped frames, if any. I compared the results of several settings of the Constant Quality and found this to be truest to the original and still have it play beautifully on the old XBox and also still manage to cut down the file size by around 50%.

I was upset when I upgraded to this version and found that support for AVI was dropped, but I think it was a blessing in disguise as it forced me to play with the settings again and I think the way I'm doing them now looks even better than before and actually takes less time to reencode. I had been changing them to AVI using 2 pass average bit rate of 1500 in the previous version.
Rollins,

Those settings work well when you start with HD source material. But when encoding from SD DVD source better results can be obtained with x264.

It's all a suck it and see situation really. And if you have a surround sound receiver select AC3 pass through.

Anyone want to use my settings, use the one I posted earlier in the thread. It'll be a bit until I have time to mess with them further. If you have any problems with them, let me know, it will help with the final settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Handbrake doesn't like XBMC for XBox?1