MCE remote and Dish Network 5.3 IR Remote on Windows 7
Ok, I have an XBMC setup on windows 7 (retail version, not a beta or pre release)
I am using an MCE remote reciever, and have tried this with 2 different models of MCE recievers, an older one and a newer model.
The problem i have is this: the MCE reciever logged all my remote presses fine, with several different remote controls, but did not respond to some other remote controls i had. the important one is the Dish Network 5.3 IR remote. so after some diggin, i found a fix for the MCE / Windows 7 remote combo (i forget the exact fix, but i think it was the extra service with elevated priveleges?) at any rate, once i applied the fix, it now sees the remote key presses on my dish remote.

the problem now, is that the same key press will register a different value each time.
so, for example, if i hit the "up" button, it registers 5:03:43 PM MceRemote.Unknown.15FFFFFFF07FFFFFFC5FFFFFFF57FFFFFED4 and if i hit the same button again, it will register a different value, such as
5:04:28 PM MceRemote.Unknown.15FFFFFFF57FFFFFFD5FFFFFFF47FFFFFFD4
5:04:29 PM MceRemote.Unknown.15FD7FF75D7F5FFDD75FD7FF75C7F5FFDD70
5:04:30 PM MceRemote.Unknown.15FD7FF75D7F5FFDD71FD7FF75D7F5FBDD74
5:04:31 PM MceRemote.Unknown.15FD7FF75D7F5FFDD75FD7FF75D7F5FFDD70
5:04:31 PM MceRemote.Unknown.15FD7FB75D7F5FFDD61FD7FF75D7F5FFDD74
5:04:32 PM MceRemote.Unknown.14FD7FF75D7F5FFDD65E97FF75D7F0FFD974
5:04:32 PM MceRemote.Unknown.57F5FFDD75F97FF75C7F5FFDD74
5:04:33 PM MceRemote.Unknown.15FD7EB75D7F5FFDD75FD7BF75D7F5FFDD74

but as you can see, never the same value twice. now i have an old RS232 IR reciever from a packard bell remote (hey....i did say it was old) that i plugged into a windows XP machine and using winlirc it recognizes the dish network remote just fine. I really want to use eventghost because it is working perfectly in my setup, but i really want to have this all work with the MCE remote reciever and not need to add winlirc and complicate things more.

My ultimate goal is to use the dish remote to control XBMC so that way i can use the same remote for 2 different things (i plan on using the "aux" mode of the remote for XBMC)

so please someone help! if there is any data that i need to provide, then please tell me and i will do so

Thanks!
bummer, i was hoping someone would have an idea or 2....
I have a feeling that the dish remote doesn't send codes in the same way that an mce certified remote sends.
If you can figure out all of the different codes each button sends, you could maybe do something with that?

I don't use event ghost :/

Another option is to look at using a Harmony remote, since those can be configured to work like an MCE remote, and control just about every type of ir device out there.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
joshuass Wrote:I have a feeling that the dish remote doesn't send codes in the same way that an mce certified remote sends.
If you can figure out all of the different codes each button sends, you could maybe do something with that?

I don't use event ghost :/

Another option is to look at using a Harmony remote, since those can be configured to work like an MCE remote, and control just about every type of ir device out there.

i have the harmony 880 which works fine when programmed using a sonicview remote. oddly enough, when using the harmony to transmit the dish codes, the problem persists.....it's something about the codes itself that is the problem i think.
as for why i don't use it....i don't want my kids tossing that remote around, and the wife really is accustomed to the dish remote...
I belive I know what your problem may be. I used to be a Dish installer and when you program the remote AUX mode you have to tell it what kind of device you are programming it to first, then set a code for that device. I would try and set that device to a TV so that it uses most of the buttons. Some device codes will only use certain buttons. I dont remember the exact process for the device code off hand but it should be in your manual. If you dont have one post back ive got a stack of em. Before you ask any questions about the remote though I would need to know what kind you have. Black Or Silver, IR or UHF. ETC all the info should be on the back of the remote.

Hope this helps. Now if I could just figure out why my WinLIRC and EventGhost is working with XBMC.....LOL
ozman911 Wrote:I belive I know what your problem may be. I used to be a Dish installer and when you program the remote AUX mode you have to tell it what kind of device you are programming it to first, then set a code for that device. I would try and set that device to a TV so that it uses most of the buttons. Some device codes will only use certain buttons. I dont remember the exact process for the device code off hand but it should be in your manual. If you dont have one post back ive got a stack of em. Before you ask any questions about the remote though I would need to know what kind you have. Black Or Silver, IR or UHF. ETC all the info should be on the back of the remote.

Hope this helps. Now if I could just figure out why my WinLIRC and EventGhost is working with XBMC.....LOL

Just in case someone else is having this problem, i did eventually figure out the issue. the dish remote uses a frequency that is not handled properly via MCE remote IR recievers. I upgraded to a better one that supports the higher frequency (64hz i think....) and the problem has now been resolved

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE remote and Dish Network 5.3 IR Remote on Windows 70