XBMC and Xbox 360 [Please use descriptive titles!]
To be able to run unsigned code on 360 u will have to have a 360 that was not updated past 7371 witch i bet most people did since they want Live and the jtag hack is not easy to do. I just don't see many people will do this to there 360 it would be much easier to just buy a cheap htpc and keep your 360 that can play games online.
natethomas Wrote:I thought it was notable that no question was actually asked in this post. As such, instead of answering some imaginary question, I will make a quick point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883103228

This can play HD content, is small, quiet, and requires absolutely no hacking. It also costs $200.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q...ps-sellers

This is big, loud, probably can't play HD, and requires a great deal of hacking that will screw up your XBMC Live account for ever. Also, it costs $300.

The best reason to hack the original Xbox was that it was smaller and cheaper than any similarly speced computer. That simply is not the case with the 360.

BTW, I picked the $300 system because it has a 120 GB harddrive, which is, at least, closer to the 160GB of the $200 system. The $200 Xbox 360 is a sham.

What is up with you guys? It seems you don't have a clue what Xbox360 is! It can already run apps like emulators in decent speed and so your points don't make sense. Of course it can play HD as it's power is more than enough to handle it. You are also complaing that it doesn't use a x86 CPU, but you may reconsider to port XBMC to ARM CPUs or other kidn of odd hardware.

And what do you know about us 360 owners what we want or don't want to do with our Xbox360s? If you can spend several ohours to port a XBMC dist we owners could JTAG our Xbox360 consoles without complaining.

Besides you can use any harddrive with the current dashboard hack. Please don't make assumption based on incorrect fact. You also request donations and why don't you listen to the donors? Do you still complain if you get 15 grand or what?
jillripper Wrote:What is up with you guys? It seems you don't have a clue what Xbox360 is! It can already run apps like emulators in decent speed and so your points don't make sense. Of course it can play HD as it's power is more than enough to handle it. You are also complaing that it doesn't use a x86 CPU, but you may reconsider to port XBMC to ARM CPUs or other kidn of odd hardware.

And what do you know about us 360 owners what we want or don't want to do with our Xbox360s? If you can spend several ohours to port a XBMC dist we owners could JTAG our Xbox360 consoles without complaining.

Besides you can use any harddrive with the current dashboard hack. Please don't make assumption based on incorrect fact. You also request donations and why don't you listen to the donors? Do you still complain if you get 15 grand or what?

hold your horses.
i understand that all of you asking this, as xbox360 owners, would like xbmc to run on it. but please also understand that you are (i think) a niche audience.

you can get xbmc running on a small ion box for less than the cost of an x360, so the only reason for developing for yet another platform would be so it's convenient to you.
I would actually rather have the devs put their effort in new features or expanding existing ones, rather than focusing on porting (and let's not forget the maintenance cost?) xbmc to a niche hardware platform.
try to see the big picture please.

note: i am not a member of the xbmc dev team and this opinion is simply my own
Well its sad too see how xbmc turned out, im also hoping some one still has the xbox spirit in them... Seems to have been lost looking at some of these comments...

i remember the days when you guys first got xbmp playing the matrix sample at high speed lol.

my 360 is now homebrew'd it wasnt hard at all, i dont really want any other hardware under the tv when my 360 already plays xvid etc... all i want is mkv support.
The ion box cannot be compared to an Xbox360 performance wise. A console with maximum capabilities to play games and free choice of HD contents is prefered by several owners of this console. And why should we buy an ion based box when we already have a Xbox360? Then you have to add another cost! The noise from the console is a of a subjective opinion and there are some Jaspers out there, which can be JTAG upgraded. Besides those ion boxes are NOT available everyhere priced at a lower pricetag compared to a Xbox360.

How many of you raise you hands up for XBMC for Xbox360? I will definiately do it! I also believe there are like over 50 000 people who would like this app ported to this console.

Another good question is why Apple TV was so internesting to make a port to. That junk of hardware cannot play 1080p files and is more expensive also because it is a damn Apple brand!
Look, Jill and Adi, I think you are not getting the point here. XBMC is open sourced software. The current official dev team has no interest in making an Xbox 360 port, and, because they are not getting paid, they only program things they are interested in.

However, BECAUSE XBMC is open source software, you and the 50,000 other people out there with interest are totally welcome to take it and do with it as you please. If you want to develop a version for the 360, more power to you! Do it with all haste! I probably wouldn't personally use that version, but I'm sure many people would be extremely grateful. None of us here are stopping you from doing so.

As to the donation question, once again, the devs do not get paid. They do what they are interested in. If you don't like what they are interested in, donate somewhere else. Maybe you could even donate to a group that you put together who actually made your port!
Adi51 Wrote:Well its sad too see how xbmc turned out, im also hoping some one still has the xbox spirit in them... Seems to have been lost looking at some of these comments...
oh come on. you make it seem like the xbmc team took a 180° turn and changed religion. as someone so beautifully stated it before in this thread:
it is what it is: history.

Adi51 Wrote:my 360 is now homebrew'd it wasnt hard at all, i dont really want any other hardware under the tv when my 360 already plays xvid etc... all i want is mkv support.

well then, you should take it up with microsoft. after all, they're the ones you forked your cash over to, not team xbmc.

seriously, i get the "i would like it on my xbox360, can you do it?" question. but not the cheap remarks when you get a "no, because of X and Y".
Maybe im missing something then, but if ive gotta hook the pc up to the tv i might as well just use windows media player or centre?

Im sure someone will make a media player for the 360, just hoped it would be you guys since you did a kick ass job on the xbox. Sad
jillripper Wrote:Another good question is why Apple TV was so internesting to make a port to. That junk of hardware cannot play 1080p files and is more expensive also because it is a damn Apple brand!

Because it's my favorite toy and I have several of them. Since I'm one of the lead OSX XBMC developers, I make sure that XBMC works well on the AppleTV.

Now stop moaning and get working on the port to the 360, as we say, patches are always welcome and don't expect developers who work on this project to have the have the same wants and wishes that others might have. It just does not work that way.
Adi51 Wrote:Maybe im missing something then, but if ive gotta hook the pc up to the tv i might as well just use windows media player or centre?

Im sure someone will make a media player for the 360, just hoped it would be you guys since you did a kick ass job on the xbox. Sad

Someone did. Microsoft. Your 360 will play exactly the same things your computer's MCE will play. If that's good enough for you, then you're done! Congrats!
the homebrew hack on the 360 is limited to very few machines now too, microsoft patched that back door months ago. I have an exploitable 360 but would much rather use my ion based machine as xbmc is perfect on it - and i'm more than grateful for that Smile
Still 360's are cheaper than ion based systems in the uk. And the hack is no more difficult than installing an x3 chip to the original xbox.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and Xbox 360 [Please use descriptive titles!]0