[Linux] - USB 2.0 Support [slow]
When I try to move files in the file manager of XBMC it appears that using a memory stick its super slow. I've heard that Umbuntu had issues is there a way to correct it? I'm pretty sure when I installed it I used the Jaunty CD.

I originally used these two commands so auto mount my memory stick. I'm not 100% sure how they work, but its what I found and it appears to work great until I try to move/copy a file in the file manager.

Code:
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.device.volume

When I view 2-3meg photos off a memory stick it seems to repond pretty well, but when I try to move a 100meg or larger avi file it seems to be rather unresponsive.
I was told by somebody that they moved several MP3's recently with no issue. I wonder if its a file <size> problem not a file type. I tried a 100meg file, 700meg file and a 1.4gig file with no luck.

I didn't try anything as small as a 3-5meg MP3 file.
Hi,

I make some tests a few minutes ago. I'm very disappointed with the speed to copy from the ASRock ION330 to the USB stick.

The ASRock is running with Ubuntu 9.04 minimal with the latest XBMC beta (9.11 beta 1, i think).

Let's see the numbers:

I copy one single large file, of 2.82gb size to the USB stick in my desktop computer (Windows 7). The stick is a empity 16GB Cruiser Micro, formatted using fat32.

Time to copy from desktop to USB stick: 8min50s
then I copy the file from the stick to my notebook: 2min02s (+/- 25200mb/s)
Then I copy to the ASRock/XBMC: 1min57s

So far, so good.

But then, I started test save to USB stick.
I was so slow that i give-up!!!! In the same 8min50s only 17% of the file was copied!! Lame 1028mb/s (less then 1mbps). It's a ridiculous speed.

Also, the system has a very high load when saving files to USB, but not a high CPU use:

Code:
top - 18:23:48 up  3:00,  1 user,  load average: 2.06, 1.72, 1.29
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  4.0%us,  1.1%sy,  0.0%ni, 70.3%id, 24.1%wa,  0.1%hi,  0.3%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   1543900k total,  1509152k used,    34748k free,    13740k buffers
Swap:  1951856k total,        0k used,  1951856k free,  1239684k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
3151 xbmc      20   0  305m 125m  20m S   19  8.3  74:04.75 xbmc.bin
7312 root      15  -5     0    0    0 D    2  0.0   0:07.69 usb-storage

Regards.
I take it nobody is experiencing this same problem or just doesn't care. Wink
Hi,

If you google for linux+usb+slow, you will found thousands of complains about slow USB when saving data. This is not new (several users complain about this since 2004). The solution looks to be, unanimous may I say, mount de device in asynchronous mode.

So, I believe XBMC is auto mounting USB devices in sync mode (not sure about that, but fits in the problem description).

Regards.
kizer Wrote:I take it nobody is experiencing this same problem or just doesn't care. Wink

This topic isn't in the right place. It is not off-topic and is not hardware related.
It's more like a linux and/or XBMC issue. And it happens with my desktop to (intel x48/IC9 chipset), so, isn't related only with ION.

Let's start a new one in the right forum and hope people help us. I really need a fast USB, since my ION will work like a NAS for MKV's Sad

Regards
Thanks Fireman. I'll give it a whirl in the Linux area and see if I can get any more biters. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] - USB 2.0 Support [slow]0