Streaming Audio directly to XBMC
What I want to do is stream a mp3-file from my PC/MAC to the XBMC.

I know that i can stream media to xbmc via upnp/smb. But what i wanna do is have the control on my pc. I image a setting where i sit on my coach with my Laptop, opening iTunes (or something similar) and play a song which will not only be played by the speaker of my laptop but also by my surround system conntected to my XBMC.

Is this possible?

At the moment my xbox is connected to my wlan router, so that i have wifi-connection to my xbox. I assume that the hardware is not the problem.
Best bet probably is to use the web interface for xbmc.
But the problem with the web interface is that the music must be in the library of xbmc. I just want to stream it to xbmc to play it.
I found the Airport Express which does exactly what I want: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/feat...tunes.html

Isn't it possible to replicate the same functionality in xbmc?
Well this kind of functionality is better suited outside xbmc, and in the lower levels.

If you run XBMC on a pc now, you can reinstall with Ubuntu instead and share your audio card. Then you are able to connect to that audio card from other linux distrobutions. This capability isn't installed in XBMC Live since the engine that is able to stream can't do passthrough (which is vital for many using xbmc live).

You should google some for pulseaudio, it allows this streaming.

You can also (this is abit less easy to do though) share your media via http, ftp, samba or whatever and use xbmc-send to tell it to stream.

xbmc-send --host=xbmcip --action=Play(smb://laptop/somesharefiled.mp3)
Disclaimer, the action might not be play and the url you send needs to be done correctly so your terminal can handle it.

A friend of mine though streamed everything that came from the soundcard (in osx) and made it to a shoutcast which he then connected to with xbmc.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I think what Harry's asking about is a Shoutcast/Icecast server: the playlist is determined and "broadcast" from the PC to any listeners, XBMC included.

There's several flavors of FOSS servers available - Google is your friend.
crackers Wrote:I think what Harry's asking about is a Shoutcast/Icecast server: the playlist is determined and "broadcast" from the PC to any listeners, XBMC included.

There's several flavors of FOSS servers available - Google is your friend.

I'm having a really hard time coming up with an "optimal" way of doing this. I also want to use/control iTunes from my PC, stream to my XBMC (running Ubuntu), play through the sound card, into my stereo.

If anyone has any hints into how to do this, it'd be great. FYI - I have been researching A LOT, and haven't found a concrete answer that I liked yet. Sad
Why not simply add the music source (wether it's in your LAN or internet, you can map the location to a drive letter right?) to XBMC and use the web interface?

Or simply install Teamviewer to control your HTPC from where ever you are? Its a free, light and very fast remote desktop tool.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming Audio directly to XBMC0