Switching operating systems on my HTPC
First off, I just wanted to say I love XBMC! I've been running it since I built my HTPC earlier this year and it has been working like a dream so far! Thanks for all the amazing work! Everyone is jealous of my home theater setup when they visit my place. Smile

I have been running XBMC on Windows 7 and everything has been pretty smooth. Really haven't had any complaints until last night, I booted it up and Avast told me it found a trojan. Not the end of the world by any means, but as someone who has been primarily a Mac / Linux user for the past couple of years, viruses just haven't been something I worry about having to deal with. Also, I'm running the Windows 7 RC so I'll have to deal with licensing issues in the coming months anyway.

So to kill two birds with one cost-effective stone, I'm thinking of just switching over to Ubuntu to run XBMC. But I've got a few questions for you folks to see if I can still run everything the same way that I am now.

1. Can I back up my UserData folder from Windows 7 and have it import correctly on an Ubuntu installation? Anything special that I need to do or can I just plunk it down on the Ubuntu install? I'm streaming the files from a network share on my iMac, so file locations won't have changed.

2. How are people finding XBMC on 9.10 Karmic now (64 bit specifically)? I've heard opinions on either side. Just wondering how it's coming along with respect to stability, driver issues, etc.

3. Not XBMC related, but hopefully you guys still have some recommendations. I most often don't have a keyboard / mouse hooked up to the HTPC and control everything with my iPhone. I use the XBMC remote app (which is awesome!), and an app called iTap as a touchpad / keyboard; however the iTap receiver is only compatible with OS X / Windows. Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar app that is Linux compatible? [Edit: FYI I'll be doing most of my "input intensive" work via SSH or VNC so as long as the iPhone app can point and click that's good enough for me.]

Thanks!
Latest Avast updates have been causing it to throw out random false positives. I just read about it on techreport's shortbread yesterday.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
joshuass Wrote:Latest Avast updates have been causing it to throw out random false positives. I just read about it on techreport's shortbread yesterday.

I figured a false positive was the more likely case, since I never download anything using the HTPC, and most of all because it showed up in a Logitech SetPoint dll file. That said, I still have the licensing issue to deal with come March (or whenever MS is having the Win7 RC version start rebooting every hour). Thanks all the same for the heads up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switching operating systems on my HTPC0