What are the largest available reliable 2.5"/3.5" IDE/PATA hard drives?
Star 
1) I currently have an Xbox running a recent build of XBMC. It has a 500GB Seagate Barracuda which has performed well but is harder to find right now. I want to replace it with a larger model if possible and use the current Xbox HD in my main PC instead.

2) I'm looking to get an Apple TV for 720p HD content and to have a smaller, quieter media centre to replace the Xbox as well. I'd like to upgrade the stock 160GB drive for the largest 2.5" model available.

3) I thought about buying 1TB or 1.5TB SATA models and using a converter, but the word is that they aren't reliable in the Xbox and I'm guessing that there wouldn't be room for anything like that in the AppleTV.

So, all these things considered, which are the largest IDE harddrives available and where might I find them?
Also, ensure that you'll be able to lock / unlock the hard drive you end up buying.
You only need a lockable HD if you are using xbox live (On your origional XBox), otherwise there in no need to lock it and any drive (IDE) will do.

I am using an Xecuter3 chip and I believe that in theory the maximum is 2TB as long as you use LBA48 and tweak the cluster size, but much depends on what method you are using to mod the XBox, the bios needs to support LBA48 which I assume is the case if you are already using a 500GB drive.

It should be noted that a partition limit of FATX is 256GB so any more than that and you will need to have multiple partitions.

The initial setting up of the HD is a little tricky and if you get it wrong then you will encounter issues, again it should not be an issue if you have already setup a 500GB drive.

I have no idea about using a SATA to IDE converter, it is something I have considered myself, but ultimately I have decided that a HTPC is the way to go. The XBox I feel has reached its limits and something more is now needed to get the best out of XBMC, not to mention HD playback.

It may be worth looking at a NAS solution, I am using a 2TB giganas which was the cheapest I could find, It was very simple to connect it to both the XBMC and the rest of my home network and takes away the problem of storage.
Homepage for XBMC Media Companion, and XBMC-DB - seperate nfo files http://www.billyad2000.co.uk
Forums for XBMC Media Companion http://billyad2000.darkbb.com/
you need a lockable drive for softmodded box thou..... if it wont lock it wont work....
save yourself the headache and go the NAS route. i have a 4TB readynas that i store all my movies, TV, music, and pictures on that all 3 xboxes point to so all the libraries are the same.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What are the largest available reliable 2.5"/3.5" IDE/PATA hard drives?0