• 2(current)
.MKV Subtitles not displaying on XBMC
I need a sample file not a log. I don't have any clips with forced subs
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hello,

I do not have this problem, all my mkv's with subs work correctly in XBMC 9.11 and it worked in all versions.

I noticed one thing, I once enabled teletext in XBMC options and it made subtitles not working. Can you check in your settings and try disabling the teletext function ?

Benoit
Tartifless Wrote:Hello,

I do not have this problem, all my mkv's with subs work correctly in XBMC 9.11 and it worked in all versions.

I noticed one thing, I once enabled teletext in XBMC options and it made subtitles not working. Can you check in your settings and try disabling the teletext function ?

Benoit

I will try that but are you referring to regular subtitles or forced subtitles? I have no problem with regular subtitles from MKV, just forced ones. Forced subtitles should display even if subtitles are disabled in the player, which they don't in XBMC at least from an MKV. Works in other players.
elupus Wrote:I need a sample file not a log. I don't have any clips with forced subs

Okay, fair enough. I will have to see if there's a tool I can use to clip a sample out and then upload it somewhere so you can take a look at it.
Oh sorry I referred to basic subtitles in fact, I did not check with forced subtitles, I will test it tonight.

But for mkvs in which I have forced subtitles I noticed that they appear in the list when getting the OSD display, so I think you are right with the way XBMC handles it: they only appear if you set them in OSD. This is an issue if you want to display both forced and basic subtitles.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.
Tartifless Wrote:Oh sorry I referred to basic subtitles in fact, I did not check with forced subtitles, I will test it tonight.

But for mkvs in which I have forced subtitles I noticed that they appear in the list when getting the OSD display, so I think you are right with the way XBMC handles it: they only appear if you set them in OSD. This is an issue if you want to display both forced and basic subtitles.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

It's also an issue if you normally leave subtitles disabled (because you have other movies with regular english subtitles that you might occasionally want to turn on), and start to watch a movie with forced subs. The foreign language part of the movie will play and you won't catch the forced subs since they aren't displayed.

I am encoding a test sample from Kill Bill Vol 1 in MKV format now. Will have to see how big it is and figure out if I can find a way to host it. The sample should be under a minute so hopefully just a couple of hundred MB.
Okay, I have the sample file, it is hosted here for a very short period of time (I am probably going to get into trouble for bandwidth use, copyright infringement, etc);

https://home.comcast.net/~audi-fan/force...st-002.mkv

You can see the file play here with Media Player Classic;

As you can see the subs show up. I did not enable subs for the title, they just play automatically because this is forced! This is especially handy if you have multiple subtitle tracks, one forced and one not forced.

Here's the same file played in XBMC 9.11 Camelot;

As you can see, no forced subs. If I enable the "subtitles" checkbox in XBMC then it will play this track but only if it is the FIRST sub track, if any other sub tracks are present they will not be available. This is not how this should work. Forced sub track should always play whether or not the radio button for subtitles is selected.

For background, here's how the track was ripped;

Clown_BD

Subs processed in BDSup2Sub for 480P .sup output;

Whole thing packaged for MKV output with MKVMerge;

Notice that the SUB track is labeled FORCED
Can some developer type person confirm they've received the sample file? I need to remove it today.
Haven't had time.. but i'll have it in 10 minutes downloaded to an awkward location for me :/
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

elupus Wrote:Haven't had time.. but i'll have it in 10 minutes downloaded to an awkward location for me :/

Okay, no worries, just send me a PM or reply to this thread (which I'm monitoring) if you need me to host it up again for you.

Thanks for taking a look at it. Subtitle related bugs/implementation issues are certainly a thorn in my side as I have many titles with forced subtitle tracks.

Thanks again,

V
Okey, at this moment ffmpeg does not provide any info about if a stream is forced or not (naming shouldn't matter). It only provides info about if it's default or not.

So to begin with, i'd have to fixup ffmpeg to support it. I'll put it on a todo list, but no idea when i'll get to it. (it's quite low prio for me)

elupus Wrote:Okey, at this moment ffmpeg does not provide any info about if a stream is forced or not (naming shouldn't matter). It only provides info about if it's default or not.

So to begin with, i'd have to fixup ffmpeg to support it. I'll put it on a todo list, but no idea when i'll get to it. (it's quite low prio for me)

Okay, so possibly this is a problem upstream from XBMC in ffmpeg. This is understandable. Do you know what I might have to do to open a ticket about it?
It would be on https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/, but don't expect them to be nice to you Smile

What you are after is exposing the Forced flag as a ffmpeg disposition flag when demuxing mkv.

Unless you can provide them with a patch nothing is going to happen thou. So not sure there is a point.

Okay, that is a fair reply, even though a disappointing one. Plenty of other software players are capable of handling this.

Perhaps when MKV becomes more popular we will see a solution that works for XBMC.
When mkv becomes more popular Smile, it's just about the defacto format nowadays.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.MKV Subtitles not displaying on XBMC0