• 7(current)
.MKV Subtitles not displaying on XBMC
ok thanks!
m0bbed Wrote:ok thanks!

OK. I just tested this Version:
XBMC (Dharma 34160)

But subs are not working, the same problem as all versions before! The settings in mkvmerge are:
- default track flag: no
- forced track flag: no

despite this settings the german subtitle (which is the first one in the file) starts automatically.

What do I do wrong? please help!
If you are trying to display the subtitles, you have to have them enabled. When playing a file open the Video OSD (press 'm' on your keyboard, or equivalent remote button) go to audio settings and ensure enable subtitles is checked. The whole idea of this thread and the fix was that xbmc was not recognising the 'forced' flag in mkv files. Where the mkv files has forced track flag subs 'on', there is no need to have subtitles enabled from the osd - xbmc recognises the flag and sets them to on automatically.

If you don't want subtitles to show, then disable them from the OSD and check 'set as default for all movies'
ehm?
But this is exactly the problem I have and I was looking forward to be solved. Maybe an example makes it more clear:

movie 1:
sub 1 = german
sub 2 = english

movie 2:
sub 1 = german forced
sub 2 = german
sub 3 english

I want Xbmc to play movie 1 without showing any subs, because none of the 2 is forced. Movie 2 has to show the sub 1 (forced sub).

Is this possible or not? I mean every other player (wdtv live, media player classic...) is able to do it correct.

m0bbed
That's not what you stated in the first example (neither forced or default). Firstly make sure subtitles are disabled for all movies. Disable them from the OSD and make sure you 'set as default for all movies'. Once you have done this xbmc should play the first file without subs and the second with 'forced' German subs.
Quote:Firstly make sure subtitles are disabled for all movies.

Hi, that was the problem! Now it is just working fine! Thank you very very much, I can't tell you how long I was waiting for this fix.

Now XBMC is perfect for me.....

m0bbed
Glad its sorted.
Testing this in RC1 of Dharma and it's still broken. I freshly ripped The Sum of All Fears from Blu-ray (with PGs subs) to an MKV file using Clown_BD and MKVMerge.

Clown_BD correctly identified and separated out the forced subs. I then mark these as default=yes and forced=yes in MKVMerge and create the MKV.

When the default is to have all subs off, the subtitle track still does not play automatically, the user must manually go in and turn the sub track on for the title. FORCED SUBS SHOULD DISPLAY AUTOMATICALLY regardless of how subs are set globally or for an individual title. That's the idea of 'forced'.

Really annoying that almost a year on this bug still has not been fixed.
voip-ninja:
It works here and if you read further up it works for other people too. So its either a new bug or you do something wrong. Post a debug log non the less.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:voip-ninja:
It works here and if you read further up it works for other people too. So its either a new bug or you do something wrong. Post a debug log non the less.

elepus,

I have tested this some more and I think I understand the issue.

I was manually going in and deselecting the subtitle radio button to test if subtitles would come on automatically but this was actually causing the breakage.

The way it now appears to work, is even if subtitles are disabled by default for all titles, when XBMC reads the stream info it then "enables" the subtitle radio button and selects the forced/default track for selection.

You can still manually go in and turn it off which will then re-disable the subtitles completely.

I would propose that a slightly better way possibly of handling this is either a separate selection during playback for turning off "forced" subtitles if a user really wants to do this, or playing back the forced sub track without actually showing the user in the UI that the subtitles are enabled.

Obviously different users will feel differently about this.

Thanks for following up with me.
I know I am ressurecting an old,old, very old post, but I got this problem today and searched it on Google and this were the first options it showed, but didn't give me an answer or solved my problem.

In order to show subtitles from .mkv files I had to type in the console:

sudo apt-get install libass-dev

If it still doesn't work, use:

sudo apt-get install libass5

You may have to use Putty to login.
Use login: "pi" and password: "raspberry" (without quotes). Or use "osmc" for both login and password.

Hope it solves other people's problems Smile
The user manually adding this shouldn't be required and might simply be a minor error with OSMC's dependencies.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.MKV Subtitles not displaying on XBMC0