• 5(current)
AppleTV Event Client for Linux in development...
Evinyatar, any luck this weekend? I finally managed to make linux@atv work, so I might dig into code and try to make it send remoteid+code.
Evinyatar, I manged to patch atvclient's code, so I can use 63 buttons with my appletv. Any interest in putting that into your code?
Sure. Could you pastebin the patch? Thanks!
Sure,

here is the patch file,
and here is the full atvclient.cpp

I did some more testing today, and hopefully all buttons are now mapped correctly.
zeldi Wrote:Sure,

here is the patch file,
and here is the full atvclient.cpp

I did some more testing today, and hopefully all buttons are now mapped correctly.

i can't wait to get off work today and go home and try this out on my atv running xbmc under ubuntu 8.04. yay!!!

is there anything else I need to do to get my harmony 700 set up properly?

actually, come to think of it, I probably can't leave it in ATV device mode, right or an activity built around the ATV itself as a device?
I'm about to test the recently postet AppleTV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image.
Could someone be so kind and post a step by step guide on how to get my Harmony remote with all available buttons to work with the ATV? I think I have read all the post about it, but im still kind of lost here.
trevorcobb Wrote:i can't wait to get off work today and go home and try this out on my atv running xbmc under ubuntu 8.04. yay!!!

is there anything else I need to do to get my harmony 700 set up properly?

actually, come to think of it, I probably can't leave it in ATV device mode, right or an activity built around the ATV itself as a device?

On Harmony you have to add new device, choose: Computer->Media Center PC->Plex (manufacturer)->Plex Player (model). That's pretty much it. Then you might do some button customization in xbmc and that's it.

How did it go trevorcobb?
feikenberg Wrote:I'm about to test the recently postet AppleTV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image.
Could someone be so kind and post a step by step guide on how to get my Harmony remote with all available buttons to work with the ATV? I think I have read all the post about it, but im still kind of lost here.

-Install Ubuntu
-Download atvclient from github
-replace atvclient.cpp with the one from my link
-compile and install atvclient as described in original atvclient README
-on harmony, add new computer->media center pc->Plex (manufactrer)->Plex player (device)
-and it should work
-keymap.xml is the default keymap supplied with recent builds
zeldi Wrote:-Install Ubuntu
-on harmony, add new computer->media center pc->Plex (manufactrer)->Plex player (device)
-and it should work

Thank you for you answer! I did all that with the USB image, but had no success. I had no error messages, had to perform a "sudo apt-get install libusb-dev" though, so I suppose I did it right, but my Harmony continues to behave like a normal ATV remote.
feikenberg Wrote:Thank you for you answer! I did all that with the USB image, but had no success. I had no error messages, had to perform a "sudo apt-get install libusb-dev" though, so I suppose I did it right, but my Harmony continues to behave like a normal ATV remote.

I am not sure what you mean by USB image, but pls do:
-ssh to appletv console,
-stop atvclient service (/etc/init.d/atvclient stop)
-manually start atvclient (just type atvclient, or if you're not root sudo atvclient), on console you should see output like this:
Code:
Creating socket...
Preparing button map...
Paired to: 0
Ready!

now press some keys on Harmony (up, record, info), you should see "hex command: xx xx xx xx xx" output on console, pls share what output you get when you press those commands.
Thank you Zeldi for your help. I did everything again with a new image and now it's working perfectly! Big Grin

BTW, I meant this USB image: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74992
Grabbed another Harmony over the weekend for use on my TV in the bedroom that has the ATV hooked up to it. Thanks a lot for the button patch. It's working wonderfully. So nice not being limited to 6 buttons as before.
zeldi Wrote:-Install Ubuntu
-and it should work

i did all this, and it seems to work, kind of (on my ATV running Ubuntu)

i set a custom button to OSD, mapped to F5 (as per http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55660). when pressed it doesn't bring up the OSD, it instead pauses. it seems I am still working on a ATV remote button limitation. not sure what i am doing wrong here...
scorneil Wrote:i did all this, and it seems to work, kind of (on my ATV running Ubuntu)

i set a custom button to OSD, mapped to F5 (as per http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55660). when pressed it doesn't bring up the OSD, it instead pauses. it seems I am still working on a ATV remote button limitation. not sure what i am doing wrong here...

Are all other buttons working as expected? Please send me the hex code which you get when you press the F5 button on your remote; how to do it-pls see my reply to feikenberg.
zeldi Wrote:Are all other buttons working as expected? Please send me the hex code which you get when you press the F5 button on your remote; how to do it-pls see my reply to feikenberg.

this is weird, previously I got the console, now I do not:

Code:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/atvclient stop
[sudo] password for xbmc:
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/atvclient
Usage: /etc/init.d/atvclient {start|stop|restart|force-reload}
xbmc@atv:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/atvclient start
xbmc@atv:~$

not sure what now

PS - left, right, up, down, ok, menu work (same as ATV remote, and same as prior to atvclient install)
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV Event Client for Linux in development...0