• 3(current)
AppleTV Event Client for Linux in development...
That looks good, thank you.

I did not do the atvclient start, I just rebooted, maybe thats the problem

is there anything that would conflict with atvclient? like maybe atvtool or lircd etc?

I'm still getting my feet wet with linux, but I'm trying to learn.
Evinyatar Wrote:I honestly thought this was enabled by default. I should probably write up a manual Smile

It is Smile I'm just an idiot who was trying to disable anything I *thought* was extraneous in an effort to keep the CPU load low to improve GUI performance.
TeknoJnky Wrote:is there anything that would conflict with atvclient?
I just got the same behaviour you did so something is wrong with the current version. I suspect it's the brightness switch but I haven't had the time to investigate it yet. Will look into it asap!
This is working really well for me, thanks
Evinyatar Wrote:I just got the same behaviour you did so something is wrong with the current version.
Odd... now I can't reproduce it. @TeknoJnky; are you still experiencing this problem? If so, do you have atvtool in your startup? And which options are you passing to atvclient?
pretty sure I had removed atvtool, I will check again when I get home.

I'm not running any options, only followed your howto instructions

only
* sudo apt-get install build-essentials automake
didnt work had some error

and

* sudo rc-update.d atvclient defaults
should probably be
* sudo update-rc.d atvclient defaults

Smile
Could someone explain what this is? Is it possible to use the appletv's remote controller? I have 24" iMac with a similar remote. Would it be possible to use this as well?
The wiki explains it best: http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclient
It could be made to work with Macs, but I'd have to install Linux on my MBP. If there's enough demand, and given enough encouragement, I might just do that Smile

But I'd rather focus on getting universal remote support working on the AppleTV first. So far, no luck getting the AppleTVIR or AppleIRController kexts loaded under 10.4.8... I'm not even sure which kext contains those...
I'm now on my third and final approach to figuring out the universal remote bit. The first approach being loading some kext which I failed to do, the second disassembling any framework or kext that even remotely looks like it might have something to do with it. So now I'm trying to learn M8C assembly and spitting through the firmware dump using m8cutil's disassembler so I can try to figure out what triggers the magic behaviour. If anyone has any more ideas, please do tell! Thanks Smile
Evinyatar Wrote:I'm now on my third and final approach to figuring out the universal remote bit. The first approach being loading some kext which I failed to do, the second disassembling any framework or kext that even remotely looks like it might have something to do with it. So now I'm trying to learn M8C assembly and spitting through the firmware dump using m8cutil's disassembler so I can try to figure out what triggers the magic behaviour. If anyone has any more ideas, please do tell! Thanks Smile

Have you tried contacting Peter Korsgaard, he did the original atvtool for linux and might be able to provide some hints. Not sure if he ever tackled that new firmware but I did mention it to him at one time. [email protected] will have the backlog.
I sent him an email a couple of days ago but haven't heard back from him yet.
Hi Evinyatar.

I followed all the steps described here

http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclie...ubuntu-804
http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclient

But it won't let me control XBMC, on the LiveXBMC based on Ubuntu 8.04

A proof that the system recognizes the signal is that when I hold down the "menu button" + the "fast/forward button" XBMC shows a notification that says: "Remote Paired".
And when the XBMC fades out the screen brightness because of inactivity, and I hold down a button, the brightness comes to normal.

What should I do to make the remote control XBMC successfully?

thank you!

jp
I solved it! Smile!

The thing was pretty simple. On LiveXBMC 8.04 you have to first:

Follow the instructions here:

INSTALLATION:
http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclie...ubuntu-804

PAIRING TO THE APPLE TV:
http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclient
(yep just hold down the "menu" button + the "fast/forward" button)

ADDING THE APPLE TV REMOTE KEYMAP INSTRUCTIONS TO XBMC:
The version of XBMC included in LiveXBMC 8.04 saves the keymaps in the file
Quote:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Keymap.xml
so all you have to do is replace the content of that file with the content of this file
Quote:http://trac.xbmc.org/browser/trunk/syste...Remote.xml
which is basically the keymapping file of the Apple Remote.

--
And that's it.

Thanks Evinyatar for creating this great utility.

Merry Christmas

Smile

jp
Can someone please spoon feed me so I know what I'm talking about? Smile

When I was running xbmc on the original aTV OS, I had my Harmony 525 working perfectly. Pressing play would play a file, pressing stop whilst playing would stop it, I could even press forward or back to change forward or back in a song whilst at the main menu without being in a visualisation!

now I've installed linux on the aTV, the standard apple remote and harmony 525 work but the harmony seems to have lost its functionality of pressing the play/pause/stop buttons etc. I copied across the Keymap.xml before I installed linux on the aTV and have placed it in ~/.xbmc/userdata/ and ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/ to no avail.

reading through this thread, am I correct in saying that it's not working because of the universal remote functionality (or lack thereof)?

cheers,

Jason.
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:
Hi Jason. That's indeed because of the lack of universal remote functionality. I still haven't managed to crack that one yet.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV Event Client for Linux in development...0