Hickups/stuttering on ION. Caused by caching?
Hello I'm having the same problem under Karmic 64bit with xbmc beta 2 version in my asrock 330!!
Here's a log from my system which was updated to the 195.22 nvidia drivers and xbmc beta 2. I'm still seeing minor stuttering that does not appear to be bitrate dependent.

http://pastebin.com/mf56e3c9
I get the impression that sometimes its down to the encoding of the file itself.

e.g - I have one 720 MKV Dexter episode that "skips" once every 10 seconds or so, but all the other files from that series play just fine.
I'll have the exact same setup as mentioned above (ION Intel Atom 330 Board, Sony Bravia Z4500), so I'm also very interested in your modelines in xorg.conf. Also i'm only in the beginning of configuring everything.

What i can tell you so far is that you made the right choice with the ION by using XBMC on Linux, i tried Win7 & MP before with&w/o CoreAVC, results are just horrible. So back to good old XBMC and Linux, and the only thing i noticed so far is tearing, as an anime fan i tested some very problematic test videos like this karaoke subtitled opening video here: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/132004/Lia%20...ion%29.mkv and it plays waaaay smoother even with the tearing than CoreAVC under Windows 7 for me even though i had the green (CUDA enabled) icon there. Just awesome. I hope we can overcome the small problem with the stuttering, too.
You can solve the tearing by allowing vsync in the xbmc options.

This is the important part of my xorg.conf. It matches the fps of the movies with the TV. You probabbly don't need the DPI settings.
Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Sony"
    ModelName      "Bravia 40WK5500"
    HorizSync       14 - 70
    VertRefresh     48 - 62
    Option         "DPMS"
    # These modelines are needed so the 24 fps movies can run without stuttering. Extract as root with:
    # X -verbose 6 > ~/xlog.txt 2>&1
    ModeLine "1920x1080@50p" 148.50 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine "1920x1080@60p" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine "1920x1080@24p" 74.16 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
    # Set the correct DPI manually, it somehow defaults to 32x32"
    Option  "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "ION VGA"
    # Needed to reduce stuttering
    Option         "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        # Only these modes are allowed for good playback
        Modes "1920x1080@24p" "1920x1080@50p" "1920x1080@60p"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
This makes panning movements smooth. The problem is you're still left with framedrops and stuttering even when there are no framedrops.
I have been banging my head with this problem for weeks, but I seem to have found a solution. Out of desperation, I literally plucked the xorg.conf from post #23 here and now I am getting nice smooth motion and no jumps or stutters. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54685&page=3

Notice the
Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
That seems critical for Karmic.

I have all the other Sync options turned on. I watched a movie last night without stopping it to change settings and cry half way through (my wife and kid were pretty thrilled!) Nod
I think you can also do that through your gdm user interfaces. Disable visual effects, among others composite.

Some user also told you that you could do that with the nvidia driver 195. That sounds reasonable. I think that one of the features in this driver is the ability to use full GPU throttle while playing video, while disabling for the rest. That also gives less heat for the NVIDIA GPU.

Alternatibly, you can run your xmbc as standalone. Simply install the package and select it as your default Xsession. By doing that, removing your password, and setting a small timeout you will allow your family to easily enjoy your xbmc while you can still play with your ubuntu.

Enjoy.
Is there a way to disable the powermizer via xorg.conf?
I am not an expert.

I just installed the nvidia beta driver 195, and keep the default options from the driver and works like charm.
Thx @ WWWilco. Thx! I already followed the HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct resolution (xorg.conf) Guide which seems to miss the composite off hint. I'd like to know how you could possibly get the correct modelines for stuff like 23,967hz etc. if even possible. On a sidenote, i noticed that setting the NoEDIDModes option before testing with X is quite pointless, at least to me....
gokudo Wrote:Thx @ WWWilco. Thx! I already followed the HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct resolution (xorg.conf) Guide which seems to miss the composite off hint. I'd like to know how you could possibly get the correct modelines for stuff like 23,967hz etc. if even possible. On a sidenote, i noticed that setting the NoEDIDModes option before testing with X is quite pointless, at least to me....

Agreed... the responses he quotes are impossible to get with the NoEDIDModes setting since they're EDID modes Smile.

My TV actually responds with the proper 23.976hz and 59.94 settings which I'm using and they work great.
Well, the NoEditModes setting doesn't make a difference for me. I'm not quite sure what it does btw.
horserider Wrote:I think you can also do that through your gdm user interfaces. Disable visual effects, among others composite.

Some user also told you that you could do that with the nvidia driver 195. That sounds reasonable. I think that one of the features in this driver is the ability to use full GPU throttle while playing video, while disabling for the rest. That also gives less heat for the NVIDIA GPU.

Alternatibly, you can run your XBMC as standalone. Simply install the package and select it as your default Xsession. By doing that, removing your password, and setting a small timeout you will allow your family to easily enjoy your xbmc while you can still play with your ubuntu.

Enjoy.

That solved my issues ! See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64015
dan1son Wrote:My TV actually responds with the proper 23.976hz and 59.94 settings which I'm using and they work great.

My question is, how do you actually obtain the proper settings for these modes? They weren't listed in my X logfile, does that mean they aren't possible for me? Or is there another way to get the correct settings? Alternatively i would be interested in the modeline settings from the user(s) above who have figured out 23.967 and 59.94 modelines already and are using an ION with Sony Z4500 so i could just copy them. Now to the problem with stuttering, i haven't encountered any by spontaneous checking severel files. I have yet to watch a movie in full length to see if they happen on occassion 2-4 times in a movie for 1 sec as reported here, too, will do that this evening. And i'm using XBMC Beta 2 as normal install in ubuntu, no live whatsoever install.

EDIT: No surprise, i have the exact same problems as everyone, i will try tedh's hints tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Strangely enough, not with ALL videos. Tried a h.264 720p one no cllearly visible issues. With an SD movie however i did have them.
gokudo Wrote:My question is, how do you actually obtain the proper settings for these modes? They weren't listed in my X logfile, does that mean they aren't possible for me? Or is there another way to get the correct settings? Alternatively i would be interested in the modeline settings from the user(s) above who have figured out 23.967 and 59.94 modelines already and are using an ION with Sony Z4500 so i could just copy them. Now to the problem with stuttering, i haven't encountered any by spontaneous checking severel files. I have yet to watch a movie in full length to see if they happen on occassion 2-4 times in a movie for 1 sec as reported here, too, will do that this evening. And i'm using XBMC Beta 2 as normal install in ubuntu, no live whatsoever install.
You have to start X in verbose mode and extract the modelines from the verbose log. There are some forum posts about this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hickups/stuttering on ION. Caused by caching?2