Selling media pc's with XBMC pre-installed
Hi Guys,

In my office reception I have set up a PC with a copy of XBMC on for clients to play with whilst waiting to see me. I've had several people ask me if I would build a media centre for them.

I've had so many requests in fact that I am considering starting a subset of my business dedicate to selling XBMC media centre PC's.

Is this something I am allowed to do?
You can do this as long as you are charging only for the hardware & the configuration. You will need to clearly state that XBMC is Free Open source software licensed under GPL and you will need to provide a copy on CD. As far as content goes............obviously you will not be able to distribute any copyright protected material. Other here, including the XBMC team can shed some more light on the GPL stuff. There was a thread on this a few weeks back. Try a search on this forum.
Oh good thats what I was hoping to hear Smile Thank you.
Hogfan is correct. Actually, you can even charge for a CD with the software itself, so long as the CD includes the source code or provides an easy means by which the purchaser can get the source code. As the GPL folk say, open source software is free as in speech, not necessarily free as in beer.

Of course, the easier thing to do to avoid dealing with the hassle of explaining that is to say that the software was compiled from http://trac.xbmc.org/browser, is free, and you are only charging for hardware and labor.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Selling media pc's with XBMC pre-installed0