Vertical Blank - Audio out of Sync
Hello-

Running the latest beta, new to XBMC (from mediaportal) and love it!

I've installed it on a clean box (dual core, win7x64, 8gb ram, ATI 4800 series video card, latest catalyst drivers).

I have the GUI running at 60hz, and set it to match the refresh rate when playing a movie. It switches to 24hz no problem.

The issue I have is tearing in random locations, but the audio is in perfect synchronization. When I then enable "enable vertical blank during playback" the video is perfect (little judder here and there) but then the audio floats out of synchronization. Some movies it's much worse, especially if I rewind and then play (for example the 1080p DTS rip of There Will Be Blood from newsgroups.)

I've tried to set it to sync audio on both options and no dice.

I thought I read somewhere on here after doing searching and searching that this was an issue in this beta but can't find that thread anymore. Maybe I'm crazy... Is anyone else experiencing this?

Why do I have to enable vertical blanking on such a powerful PC?

Thanks for your help
Same problem here but with Nvidia 9300 onboard. I can't find a happy medium on Beta 1. Either the audio is out of sync or the video is jittery.
Likewise - with nvidia GT210.
Have you tried it with just vsync enabled and no adjust refresh rate?

I've found that to be my best experience with video playback. Also, I don't use sync playback to display either.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
Yes, disabling change refresh rate and enabling vsync causes what seems to be perfect playback...

It appears at 24hz I get smoother video but maybe that's my mind playing tricks... how does this work? How does it play a movie if i'm at 60hz? Pulldown?
For me, disable change refresh, no audio sync and vsync enabled worked well but I saw some tearing, the fix for me was to set deinterlace to none during playback (then set as default for all movies).
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5755

There is a ticket for this, that I created long time ago. Nothing happens with this issue I'm afraid :/
I just went from Beta2 to the latest SVN build in Ikons thread and it seems much better.

Tested on video that was noticeable jerky yesterday and seems much smoother and no loss of audio sync.
mindweaver Wrote:http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5755

There is a ticket for this, that I created long time ago. Nothing happens with this issue I'm afraid :/

As far as i know it's been like this since the feature got introduced... with different delays in different formats (24, 25fps, avi, mkv) making it unusable for me.
Is there any progress on this problem? I've seen some activity in the ticket but no replies.
You might get a little better playback if its switches. But honestly, I've found the differences to be so minor that I end up disabling it. For me, the best setup so far has been no audio adjustment, vsync enabled (fullscreen vsync, not fullscreen as a window) and no refresh rate adjustment.

Problem with "judder" is that it could be in the actual video stream too. I've always noticed that movies playback much better than TV rips, for example.

Tearing, though, is definitely a vsync problem, no other way. If you have to force it through drivers, then that can also work. I know nvidia atleast has profiles you can set up. Just set up a profile for xbmc that has vsync always enabled at the hardware level.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vertical Blank - Audio out of Sync1