[AppleTV] XBMC System Display 1080p not showing?
agree, getting 1080p decoding done first is priority.. Wink
I have to agree with HDKev, whats it all for? I can apprecaite those with 1080 files wanting to view them, so do i, but why bother having them if you can watch them in the full 1080 glory? In my case, when looking at this as a media center solution, I saw many comments how using the CrystalHD card will "decode" 1080 files. When seeing that comment, I went out and bought an ATV and CrystalHD asap. No where did i see the cavet that "you can decode 1080 files but you really cant watch them in 1080 because there is a limitation with XBMC & ATV locking the resolution at 720p".

If only i had known that earlier, i would have not gone down this road and forked out $AUD200+ for this setup, I would have looked at going the Aspire Revo that actually decodes and outputs 1080 over HDMI.

I know it may sound like a dig, but its not, I have used and promoted XBMC for years on xbox and consider it the 'gold' standard in media center software. I can compare this to putting a high powered engine (V8, turbo, etc) inside a mini. Sure it will have power, but you can't actually use it because there will be no traction when you put the foot down.Nod

I think the issue needs to be worked in tandem with the perfecting of 1080 decoding.

davilla Wrote:You can +1 this all you want and that's not going to make it happen any faster. Since 720p display output does work and there are much more pressing issues, this one is low on the priority list.
phez Wrote:In my case, when looking at this as a media center solution, I saw many comments how using the CrystalHD card will "decode" 1080 files. When seeing that comment, I went out and bought an ATV and CrystalHD asap. No where did i see the cavet that "you can decode 1080 files but you really cant watch them in 1080 because there is a limitation with XBMC & ATV locking the resolution at 720p".

If only i had known that earlier, i would have not gone down this road and forked out $AUD200+ for this setup.

You can get 1080p decode and display on ATV with CrystalHD over HDMI running XBMC on Linux. So your money is not completely wasted and your criticism is not relevant.

This is a *work in progress* and right now the focus is on getting the bugs out of the decode/playback so that all supported 1080p will playback without stuttering.

For me, I am sticking with ATV OS and am content with 720p output as I actually use other apps aside from XBMC on my AppleTV.
I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but I'm led to believe a few may be confused: You can get 1080p output of the ATV OS (no decode though), but just not with XBMC (without Linux).
phez Wrote:I have to agree with HDKev, whats it all for? I can apprecaite those with 1080 files wanting to view them, so do i, but why bother having them if you can watch them in the full 1080 glory? In my case, when looking at this as a media center solution, I saw many comments how using the CrystalHD card will "decode" 1080 files. When seeing that comment, I went out and bought an ATV and CrystalHD asap. No where did i see the cavet that "you can decode 1080 files but you really cant watch them in 1080 because there is a limitation with XBMC & ATV locking the resolution at 720p".

Personally, I'd rather not restrict my viewing pleasure because something is not available in 720p. And, I'm not interested in transcoding my bluray rips to 720p.

LOL, and besides. unless you are running greater than a 50" display when sitting 8 feet or greater from the screen, guess what ? Your eyes can't resolve the difference between 720p and 1080p. It's biology. Sit closer or have a larger display, then you can resolve the difference.

Now if someone want's to investigate this on their own to see if any of the display resolution changing "tool" out there can force 1080p. I'd certainly take a closer look at what they do with the idea of adding it to XBMC under the AppleTV under AppleTV OS. Until then CrystalHD playback and stability IS my primary focus.
D-tyme Wrote:I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but I'm led to believe a few may be confused: You can get 1080p output of the ATV OS (no decode though), but just not with XBMC (without Linux).

Actually it's not quite like that. The ATV has a 1080p output mode, which sends a 1080p signal to the TV, but it has no 1080p content, and in my viewing the menus look identical in both modes so I'm going to bet even on 1080p output, 720p is just upconverted to 1080p by the video card. It's as if the OS is always in 720p.

Apple has no reason to actually support 1080p. Maybe they added it for people who's displays ONLY support 1920x1080?

That being said... I run Linux on my ATV and get 1080p just fine, although since the ATV is on a 40" TV and I can't really see a difference between 720p and 1080p from my bed, the point is moot. I find the interface faster in ubuntu which is the main reason I've kept it.
Actually for your eyes to resolve 1920*1080 at 8 feet you need minimum 60"
interceptor121 Wrote:Actually for your eyes to resolve 1920*1080 at 8 feet you need minimum 60"

LOL, I was being conservative for those young people out there with eagle eyes. Us old farts with multiple pairs of glasses can't see squat anyway so it would be 100" at three feet for us Smile
davilla Wrote:LOL, I was being conservative for those young people out there with eagle eyes. Us old farts with multiple pairs of glasses can't see squat anyway so it would be 100" at three feet for us Smile

I compared my benq PE8720 with my benq W10000, wich are pretty much the same exact projectors, difference is 720p and 1080p. On my 106" screen from about 8 feet away. With the desktop image, the difference is obvious. With video however, the difference isnt all that great. So I have to agree.

Being able to decode the files is nice though. All my mkv`s are 1080p so this makes me consider an apple TV for my 4 year old daughter rather than a mini. On her 50" she wont notice the difference anyways. My main concern with the ATV is that i believe symlinking to my my main XBMC userdata folder might be difficult from it, and Ill rather cash out a couple of hunded dollars more for another mini, than having to maintain several libraries.
RckStr Wrote:I compared my benq PE8720 with my benq W10000, wich are pretty much the same exact projectors, difference is 720p and 1080p. On my 106" screen from about 8 feet away. With the desktop image, the difference is obvious. With video however, the difference isnt all that great. So I have to agree.

Being able to decode the files is nice though. All my mkv`s are 1080p so this makes me consider an apple TV for my 4 year old daughter rather than a mini. On her 50" she wont notice the difference anyways. My main concern with the ATV is that i believe symlinking to my my main XBMC userdata folder might be difficult from it, and Ill rather cash out a couple of hunded dollars more for another mini, than having to maintain several libraries.

Wait a second... I'm just making sure I understand this all correctly. You have two 106" projectors, and your 4 year old has her own 50" TV with an ATV or MacMini attached?

But I agree... 720p to 1080p isn't huge no matter what for video, but for text it sure can be.

EDIT: I just realized your nick is RckStr... go figure. Smile
Would adding a display setting from OS X 10.4.9 display framework help ? Is one of the settings disabled perhaps? Maybe do a compare with the two display files from OS X 10.4.9 for Apple TV and 10.4.9 for Macs ?

Found this, maybe it helps forcing resolution....

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?s...3120929454
I think the issue is that Xbmc does now want to force 1080p but gather display capabilities with EDID unfortunately some panels do not return 1080p as possible resolution or return nothing and xbmc defaults to 720p@60Hz
similar issues happen in os x and programs such as switchers take care of Reading enhanced timing data to fix the issue
XBMC uses the standard OSX display handling API, I've said this about a hundred times. Even pointed out where in the code this happens. I would suspect this is backed up at the OS level with EDID info from the display.

Thing to note, over the various ATV OS updates, I have seen more and more, display quirks being added (at the OS level). I suspect this is custom EDID over-rides for displays with known bad EDID info. As yet, I have never heard of an non-frontrow app running on the AppleTV that is able to set 1080p display resolution under the AppleTV OS. So frontrow is doing something special and different.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] XBMC System Display 1080p not showing?0