R.I.P. nforce
I've been looking around newegg, and I noticed that there are barely any Nvidia based motherboards on there, and then I checked zipzoomfly, and the same thing. Its like they stopped making chipsets. I finally found some info about whats going on.

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/45113.aspx

which led me here

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=791&type=expert

It said that they would continue to produce chipsets for AMD boards, but from the availability in nvidia based motherboards it seems like they stopped producing them. So is nvidia officially out of the desktop motherboard market?

It seem like nvidia has been dancing around the subject, and doesn't want to admit that they have. What a screwed up thing to do. They should have made an announcement or something. This sucks, they are the only ones that have working GPU offloading in linux. That means if I want t build a XBMC machine for a friend, which is what I was looking into, I have to pay $40 to $50 more for a graphics card. When what I want to do is save cash and use imbeded graphics solution.
You may not be able to find new mobos with nForce anymore, but I think ION is the replacement for the embedded video. As you can see by searching around here mobos like the ZOTAC 330 nd the ASROCK 330 are highly popular and quite economical.
HTPC Rig:
Acer Revo 1600 /Tira2 IR rcvr
NAS: UNRAID
You should read the article that I linked to. Yeah there still doing ION, but it looks like thats it. I'm not sure if I would consider that a "desktop" chipset. I'm talking about ATX, microATX, and server boards gone.

Looks like its going to be AMD vs Intel. AMD CPU + AMD chipsets vs Intel CPU +Intel chipset. Kind of weird, and I hate seeing other company's dropping out like this. SiS, VIA, and now Nvidia.

I'm sure its only a matter of time before AMD's opensource drivers start offloading in Linux, at least I hope so.
Its Intels fault and they question whether Ion 2nd Gen will still appear cant see them dropping that though as its been quite popular, luckily I bagged a GA-E7AUM Big Grin

Why wouldn't you not consider the Ion a desktop chipset it has a GeForce 9400 exactly the same as the E7AUM
I guess because of the mini itx form factor. Plus, while the atom is a great low powered cpu, its not that powerful. I guess because you can't swap out the CPU, its embedded.

I actually don't care. If you want to consider ION a desktop chipset, then go right ahead. You're probably right. The point is that they are dropping everything else. Oh I think that are still going to make mobile chipsets for laptops and macs.
I was talking about the nvidia chipset that means the GeForce 9400 which is a desktop chipset for iGPU your talking about the Ion board as a desktop solution in which case no I wouldn't call that a desktop solution
I think it only works with atom processors. They stopped making Intel chipsets because of pressure from Intel's legal department, and the only reason they can still make atom chipsets is because it still has a FSB. At least I think thats what I read in the article that I linked to. Might have been the one after that. Not sure and I don't have time to check since I have to get ready for work. There is no reason for them not making AMD chipsets, they just don't want to.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
R.I.P. nforce0