• 50(current)
Back Row General Discussion
Hi Sharpe, me again Wink

Just a quick design idea....don't know if you'd like it but I've been thinking about the song info that displays at the top right of the artist slideshow while music is playing.

The background shaded box for this song info often clashes a bit with the artwork. (Looks odd when a small shaded section is covering a small part of a vertical artwork). I think it might look clean if the shaded background box wasn't used at all for this info. What do you think?

Thanks!
Hi mate yeah I usually have it disabled personally - so what are you thinking? Have you got anything in mind?
I reckon it would look fine as it is, just without any shaded background box for the banner. I know it might then not be clear to read on top of occasional artworks, but given how frequently the artworks change that wouldn't be a big deal. What do you reckon?

Thanks!
Me again....just thought of another couple of things to add to my request list...whenever you have time to look into it I'd love to know your thoughts on:

1. Shaded box behind music now playing banner (see above)

2. Would it be possible for random music on homescreen to display and play albums instead of songs?

3. Just read about some kind of library editor script that runs in Cirrus extended (here) . Have you heard about this? Would be amazing to be able to edit genres from within XBMC.

Thanks again for all your work on the only skin I ever use!
(2012-06-20, 14:16)kiboy6 Wrote: Me again....just thought of another couple of things to add to my request list...whenever you have time to look into it I'd love to know your thoughts on:

1. Shaded box behind music now playing banner (see above)

2. Would it be possible for random music on homescreen to display and play albums instead of songs?

3. Just read about some kind of library editor script that runs in Cirrus extended (here) . Have you heard about this? Would be amazing to be able to edit genres from within XBMC.

Thanks again for all your work on the only skin I ever use!

No worries

1. Do you mean lose the entire box or just the gradient shading? ie would you still want a darkened rectangle around the info or nothing except the text and album cover? To be honest I'm pretty tempted to get rid of the label entirely I don't think it's needed.

2. I didn't realise it wasn't set up for albums - it's meant to be. I'll fix that and make it match the recent albums widget,

3. Just looking into that now - will let you know

Quote:nothing except the text and album cover

Yeah..that's what i was after. I find the text and album cover quite essential as it allows one to glance at the screen and see what's playing. However i find the shaded box behind it can often look a bit jarring on top of many slideshow images.

Sounds great on the other points.

Thanks so much for always considering these little things Smile
Okay I've done the 1st 2 points - Also I've made the now playing label a little more diffuse as well which I think looks better.

Yeah I do like the edit library script it's very neat. I can't add it to Back Row's video info screen though as it's using a script within the skin folder itself. In order to use it in Back Row (and other skins in the official XBMC repo) the script would need to be in the XBMC repo as a maintained addon. Then the skin can mark it as a dependency and then be used.
1 and 2 are exactly what I was after - thanks so much.

3 will be amazing if/when that script makes it into the official repo.

One other question - I have my own images I prefer to the shillouettes to use for movie and music genres. Unfortunately, now that BackRow SVN updates directly through XBMC my custom images get overwritten on every update. I tried making them read-only files, but that just makes the update fail altogether.

It's not a big deal, but I was just wondering if there were anything that can be done to get around this?

Thanks again.

(2012-06-20, 17:31)Sharpe Wrote: Okay I've done the 1st 2 points - Also I've made the now playing label a little more diffuse as well which I think looks better.

Yeah I do like the edit library script it's very neat. I can't add it to Back Row's video info screen though as it's using a script within the skin folder itself. In order to use it in Back Row (and other skins in the official XBMC repo) the script would need to be in the XBMC repo as a maintained addon. Then the skin can mark it as a dependency and then be used.

Any chance you could let me see them? I could end up using them
Of course Smile I don't remember where I got them from but the movie ones are here

The Music ones I use are a bit more of a motley collection - there's only a few and genres I don't use are missing - but you can get them here

I would be happy to collaborate on finding more if you're interested Smile Personally, I much prefer the genre icons in colour and easily distinguishable.

(2012-06-22, 07:51)kiboy6 Wrote: I would be happy to collaborate on finding more if you're interested Smile Personally, I much prefer the genre icons in colour and easily distinguishable.

Welcome on board - yes absolutelty that would be great Smile
Thanks. What do you reckon of the movie genre set? Are those good to go?

Will try to find a solution to complete the music genre set Smile
I'm not able to check at the moment (stuck at work) I'll get back to you later on via PMs - I'm sure they'll be fine though - I trust your taste.
Cool...I found a thread where some kind users have made packs of music genre icons ready to go. I tweaked one of those packs a bit here.

Let me know if you think it should be trimmed a bit - that pack contains a LOT of genres!
Okay it's added a bit to the skin size but it's not too bad - I've made the changes and added the new genre icons.
  • 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Back Row General Discussion6