XBMC TV support?
Hi!

I'm a MediaPortal user, and I LOVE the feature that gives you the opportunity to watch severeal channels on only ONE tuner.

For instance, my setup is one HTPC with a tuner. I can record to channels, while watching a third, and another PC in the house can watch a fourth channel.

This is one of the greatest things in software for TV-tuners on PC.

How is the support for this on XBMC? I think MP is a little too needy, considering the setup, and all the codecs etc. I'm therefore considering switching to XBMC (and XBMC Live) and was hoping to continue using this TV-function.

Anyone wanna clear things up for me?
XBMC only acts as a front end for tv-tuners, and at that no one has yet gotten around to connecting the front end with a windows backend like the MP TV-server or Windows MCE. However, if you are up to install linux and MythTV, I hear good things.
xbmc can stream tv from dreambox and dbox with enigma linux
the plugin network tuxboxclient make this possible
I have a Linux server running VDR, which records my TV shows and provides storage for all my media files, and a Windows-based XBMC box in living room. The VDR server generates xml info files of the recordings so that they are scanned to my XBMC movie library automatically for viewing. It works like a charm. Support for configuring of recording timers could be useful if integrated into XBMC, but my current way of browser access to VDRAdmin for that is quite OK.

For some reason, this TV support talk always seems to revolve around live TV viewing. I have no need for that, since the actual TV that I use as XBMC's display is anyway always the best UI for viewing TV.
WhiningKhan Wrote:For some reason, this TV support talk always seems to revolve around live TV viewing. I have no need for that, since the actual TV that I use as XBMC's display is anyway always the best UI for viewing TV.

Is a point-of-view. In my house there aren't any antenna cable because i use streaming from a server to all media center/TV in the house. I don't need set-top-box and i can switch from DVB-T to DVB-S (FTA) simple changing channel. I think it's a very nice architecture and i'm using it since 3 years: another point-of-view.

I think that Live TV support is essential for a media center sw. I'm trying to use XBMC as a upnp client for my dvbviewer recording services but 9.11 alpha and beta releases don't work (i started a specific post).

Just to share: actually i'm running the old meedio sw for "static" content (music, movies, picture) and dvbviewer for live tv (used in client/server configuration dvbviewer-dvbviewer recording service).

Regards.
natethomas Wrote:XBMC only acts as a front end for tv-tuners, and at that no one has yet gotten around to connecting the front end with a windows backend like the MP TV-server or Windows MCE. However, if you are up to install linux and MythTV, I hear good things.

MythTV and xbmc on Linux sounds perfect!

Need a guide regarding getting it set up though. Sad
NorDemoniac Wrote:Hi!

I'm a MediaPortal user, and I LOVE the feature that gives you the opportunity to watch severeal channels on only ONE tuner.

For instance, my setup is one HTPC with a tuner. I can record to channels, while watching a third, and another PC in the house can watch a fourth channel.

This is one of the greatest things in software for TV-tuners on PC.

How is the support for this on XBMC? I think MP is a little too needy, considering the setup, and all the codecs etc. I'm therefore considering switching to XBMC (and XBMC Live) and was hoping to continue using this TV-function.

Anyone wanna clear things up for me?

Hi
I have just started using MP and would like to know how this is done, if you could share with me Big Grin

Thanks
Look here>>> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65488
Have fun and good luck
jok3r Wrote:Look here>>> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65488
Have fun and good luck

Thanks for that, but I don't think I explained myself very well, what I wanted to know was how to view multiple channels with a single tuner card in MP

Can't find any info on the MP website or forum so was googling and found this thread
Thanks for that

I think maybe I didn't make myself totally clear, I wanted to know how in MP you could get a one tuner card to be able to record and watch different channels, but I think I have got the answer anyway

Cheers
if you read the posts in that script thread for mp plugin, it appears to be quiet well supported and developed atm.

cudos to the huys working on it.

i look forward to seeing it merged into main installer.

so let me ask you this...

does mp tv server running its front end allow you to view 2 x channels on 2 x different playback pcs using one dvb-t/s card? or am i reading this wrong?

Dam0
Dam0 Wrote:if you read the posts in that script thread for mp plugin, it appears to be quiet well supported and developed atm.

cudos to the huys working on it.

i look forward to seeing it merged into main installer.

so let me ask you this...

does mp tv server running its front end allow you to view 2 x channels on 2 x different playback pcs using one dvb-t/s card? or am i reading this wrong?

Dam0

I seems like it can as long as all the channels are on the same transponder, I tested this yesterday all be it on one PC (as i only have a singleseat setup) this is for dvb-s can't comment on dvb-t

Not sure where in the world you are but transponder info can be found here
http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC TV support?0