Moving music folder
Question 
I'd like to move the music folder on my media server.

If I do though, is my XBMC library going to fail to work because the paths are all different? I don't really fancy having to clean it out and readd everything, as I'd have to set all the artist/album info again...

Is there a way to move the files without having to change anything in XBMC?

Cheers!
I can't guarantee this as I've never tried, but it should work fine:

1. Ensure you don't have automatic music library updates on startup enabled.
2. Move your music.
3. Scan that new music location. This should duplicate everything in the library.
4. Clean the library. This will get rid of the duplicates.
5. Voila!

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Will all the metadata still be there though? I spent a couple of hours going through and setting up thumbs, bios etc.

Should I do a music library export first? I assume that creates .nfos etc like for movies?
I *think* so, yes. I'm not 100% sure of this, however.

Perhaps you can copy your music to the new location and scan that while still having the old music there?

Ofcourse you could backup your old musicdb incase things turn pearshaped. It would be great to test this out.

And yes, exporting .nfo's is an option, though it depends somewhat on your folder structure as to how successful it is. If you use a strict artist/album/songs.mp3 structure then it'll be pretty good. That's assuming ofcourse that you want .nfo files scattered throughout your folders.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yup library export has created all the images and nfos. So hopefully I just scan it back in...
Looks like it's all run back in fine. Rather impressed Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving music folder0