HQ Software upscaling does not work in Beta2
Oh ta - I am now running RC1 (live).
So I guess I will wait for RC2.
alanwww1 Wrote:Note that the fix is only in svn yet. It will be only available in rc2 or in the final version.

Or you built from svn ?

Is it possible to take RC1 Live and change to a PPA with a newer build which has the fixed software scaling?
freddyflinty Wrote:Is it possible to take RC1 Live and change to a PPA with a newer build which has the fixed software scaling?

No sense. I think the ppa in live is set to the stable branch. So i think in a few days when the final stable version comes out, you just need to make a
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

And done. All will work fine than.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks.. hopefully it's that simple. I didn't have much luck with apt or aptitude in the previous live releases.. sources.list always needed work.
alanwww1 Wrote:No sense. I think the ppa in live is set to the stable branch. So i think in a few days when the final stable version comes out, you just need to make a
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

And done. All will work fine than.

How about changing the sources in LIVE to the SVN PPA? Would that not work?
Is this fixed in final camelot ?
Schumi Wrote:Is this fixed in final camelot ?

Yes it is !!! Working great !
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
alanwww1 Wrote:Meanwhile great devs Bobo1on1 and Elupus picked up the problem and solved it. Big Grin
The solution is also backported to Camelot release branch. This means that it will be working in the final Camelot release. All you guys have to do is put the following code into ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <highqualityscaling>1</highqualityscaling>
    <highqualityscalingmethod>8</highqualityscalingmethod>
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks for the Devs for making the Camelot release even better.

ps.:
Note that 7 is for Bicubic (SW), 8 is for Lanczos (SW) (the best quality in my oppinion), 9 is for Sinc (SW)

I don't see advancedsettings.xml in ~/.xbmc/userdata/ do I create one?
liq456 Wrote:I don't see advancedsettings.xml in ~/.xbmc/userdata/ do I create one?

Yes. It is not there by default. Just create it !
alanwww1 Wrote:Yes. It is not there by default. Just create it !

Is there a way I can verify its working?
lol. if you can't tell the friggan difference, what's the point of wasting the cpu cycles in the first place?
spiff Wrote:lol. if you can't tell the friggan difference, what's the point of wasting the cpu cycles in the first place?

Its not like I can switch it on the fly to see the difference.
liq456 Wrote:Its not like I can switch it on the fly to see the difference.

You can check the difference by opening up the OSD while playing an SD movie by pressing "M" on the keyboard. Than in the video settings you can change upscaling method on-the-fly.

There is a HUGE difference in my opinion in case of SD movies if you are watching them in full HD resolution. Check this ticket where you can see comparison shots:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7053

If the resolution difference between your movie and your TV resolution is not so big than you won't see much improvement. Eg. upscaling 720p movie to 1080p. But that's a different story as we (i at least) use vdpau for those.
liq456 Wrote:Is there a way I can verify its working?

As others said, if you can't see the difference in the first place it shouldn't be a big deal.

To check if it is working you can also look at your CPU utilization by pushing "o" on your keyboard during non VDPAU-playback. There will be a noticeable difference. In my experience Bicubic is the least taxing, with lanczos in the middle, and sinc being the most intensive.

As alanwww1 has also said, lanczos looks best for me.
alanwww1 Wrote:You can check the difference by opening up the OSD while playing an SD movie by pressing "M" on the keyboard. Than in the video settings you can change upscaling method on-the-fly.

There is a HUGE difference in my opinion in case of SD movies if you are watching them in full HD resolution. Check this ticket where you can see comparison shots:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7053

If the resolution difference between your movie and your TV resolution is not so big than you won't see much improvement. Eg. upscaling 720p movie to 1080p. But that's a different story as we (i at least) use vdpau for those.

Thanks I got it working I missed typed something before. It does make big difference, thanks for the tip. I wonder why it not a option to choose from in the regular options, any other cool tips like this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HQ Software upscaling does not work in Beta20