Rowmote funtionality
I have XBMC running on a MacPro. I just got Rowmote Pro because I needed to remotely launch XBMC. This app does this very well. I also wanted to use it as a remote control. I can't back out of menus, no esc key, and I can't rewind. Other people like this app so I figure I am missing something. Any one know what I am doing wrong?
Well I played with Rowmote some more. You have to hold the fast forward button for it to do more than just skip forward. Problem is controlling the speed. I could not get it to rewind other than skip 30sec or so each touch. The small esc key is not as nice as the big button in XBMC Remote. Accessing the contextual menus I still have not figured out. Well it launches the apps nicely but I could have done that for free. I will continue to use XBMC Remote for the remote and probably Rowmote to launch since I paid money for it.
I'm the developer of Rowmote and happy to answer your questions. You could also have emailed me directly (I noticed this thread via Google Alerts).

Rowmote's remote control works like the Apple hardware remote in XBMC:
- Tap to skip forward
- Press and hold to fast-forward/rewind
- 'Menu' to back out of menus (there is no need to use the keyboard's Escape key)
- Press and hold 'Play' to access the contextual menu

Please let me know, here or directly, if there's anything else I can answer for you.
evands Wrote:I'm the developer of Rowmote and happy to answer your questions. You could also have emailed me directly (I noticed this thread via Google Alerts).

Rowmote's remote control works like the Apple hardware remote in XBMC:
- Tap to skip forward
- Press and hold to fast-forward/rewind
- 'Menu' to back out of menus (there is no need to use the keyboard's Escape key)
- Press and hold 'Play' to access the contextual menu

Please let me know, here or directly, if there's anything else I can answer for you.

Hi there,

anywhere I can find a side to side comparison between rowremote and xbmc remote when intending to control appletv2?

thanks
Rowmote Pro provides control over the complete Apple TV experience - Apple's own menu system (including keyboard input for Apple entry forms that would otherwise require keying each key individually), XBMC, Plex, and any other third party application. It does this with a classic remote control style interface, with the addition of a keyboard, so is intended to be used while looking at the TV. You could, of course, play/pause and change volume while media is playing without looking.

XBMC Remote, on the other hand, can control only XBMC. This means you need some other solution - be it Rowmote, Apple's Remote app, or the hardware remote control - to launch XBMC on the ATV. That may be a minor inconvenience if you only use XBMC, or it could be thoroughly annoying if you switch back and forth regularly. Most people are probably somewhere in-between. It provides a more media-rich control experience for XBMC specifically, with display of active album art, navigation of the media library from the device (without looking at the TV), and so on. It's more useful than Rowmote if you are controlling XBMC from another room and XBMC is already running.

My 'Remotes' folder on my own iOS devices has:
- Rowmote Pro
- Remote (by Apple)
- iTeleport
- NumPad
- XBMC Remote
- Plex Remote

Each has its own context and uses. I hope that you find Rowmote Pro is a great part of your media control experience Smile
evands Wrote:Rowmote Pro provides control over the complete Apple TV experience - Apple's own menu system (including keyboard input for Apple entry forms that would otherwise require keying each key individually), XBMC, Plex, and any other third party application. It does this with a classic remote control style interface, with the addition of a keyboard, so is intended to be used while looking at the TV. You could, of course, play/pause and change volume while media is playing without looking.

XBMC Remote, on the other hand, can control only XBMC. This means you need some other solution - be it Rowmote, Apple's Remote app, or the hardware remote control - to launch XBMC on the ATV. That may be a minor inconvenience if you only use XBMC, or it could be thoroughly annoying if you switch back and forth regularly. Most people are probably somewhere in-between. It provides a more media-rich control experience for XBMC specifically, with display of active album art, navigation of the media library from the device (without looking at the TV), and so on. It's more useful than Rowmote if you are controlling XBMC from another room and XBMC is already running.

My 'Remotes' folder on my own iOS devices has:
- Rowmote Pro
- Remote (by Apple)
- iTeleport
- NumPad
- XBMC Remote
- Plex Remote

Each has its own context and uses. I hope that you find Rowmote Pro is a great part of your media control experience Smile
Does it work with Mac OSX? Is XBMC remote better than Rowmote in anyway (I see that you still use it regularly since it is in your folder...)

thanks a lot for your thorough answer.

Regards
Whenever I attempt to type in a title in Rowmote on my iPad (ver 1) for a search in Apple TV (silver, ver 1) Flash modified XBMC, I get letters added out to infinity. Example: typing in "movie", I get "movieeeeeeeeee", i.e. the keys often appear stuck. This only happens under XBMC, not the root ATV.

I wrote support and Evan Schoenberg stated "That's certainly a problem!, I'll look into this ASAP." But so far no solution. I also wrote FireCore (ATV Flash) and got the following reply, "We've heard of the issue but unfortunately aren't involved in the XBMC development process."

I just updated to RowmoteHelperATV installer 3.6 but this did not fix the problem. I also have the latest Rowmote on my iPad. Anyone have any idea how to correct? It's become so annoying that I refuse to use Rowmote. Thanx.
why not using another remote app then ... i for myself use xbmc commander...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphis, thanks for your reply and suggestion. I will look into it direcly. QUESTION: When entering text into any XBMC text block with XBMC Commander, do characters often repeat themselves erroneously? In addition to Rowmote, I also have Remote HD on my iPad. Like Rowmote, it also erroneously repeats characters. I look forward to your reply.
nope it doesn't for me. The only time where the keyboard doesn't work at all is inside of the youtube addon. But there are multiple remote apps out there for free which you could try before...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I went ahead and purchased last night XBMC Commander for my iPad (ver 1) to be used with XBMC on my ATV (Silver - ver 1). Now I have a question. I followed the set up procedures which allows me to control XBMC. So apparently setup is correct. I am connected. I can maneuver around within XBMC and I like the display of my video library. Cool. However, I am having a problem with the keyboard. When I go into a repository, such as 1Channel, and try to do a search by filling out the text block, I have problems. Not only does nothing type in the onscreen text block, but XBMC Commander immediately disconnects and states, "using cached data whenever possible". The only way I can get out of this situation is to use my hand held remote (Logitech Harmony One) and back out of the text block. How do I use the XBMC Commander keyboard in a repository? Thank you for your assistance.
XBMC is a great entertainment program, but typing into the text block for a search, writing titles, etc. is slow and tedious. Are there any iPad remotes in which you can use an onscreen keyboard to type successfully? I have the following and they all fail:

ROWMOTE:
PROBLEM: Whenever I attempt to type in a title in Rowmote on my iPad (ver 1) for a search in Apple TV (silver, ver 1) Flash modified XBMC, I get letters added out to infinity. Example: typing in "movie", I get "movieeeeeeeeee", i.e. the keys often appear stuck. This only happens under XBMC, not the root ATV.

Reply from the publisher: That's certainly a problem!, I'll look into this ASAP.
But so far no solution.

Reply from Firecore: We've heard of the issue but unfortunately aren't involved in the XBMC development process.

REMOTE HD:
PROBLEM: Whenever I attempt to type in a title in Remote HD, I get letters added out to infinity.

Reply from the publisher:This is a bug with XBMC that we are aware of, The keys sometimes get stuck. We will hopefully have this fixed with the next update.
This only happens in XBMC.
No fix so far.

XBMC COMMANDER:
PROBLEM: I am having a problem with the keyboard. When I go into a XBMC repository, such as 1Channel, and try to do a search by filling out the text block, I have problems. Not only does nothing type in the text block, but XBMC Commander immediately disconnects and states, "using cached data whenever possible". The only way I can get out of this frozen situation is to use my hand held remote (Logitech Harmony One) and back out of the text
block. How do I use the XBMC Commander keyboard in a repository?

Reply from publisher: Thats actually an XBMC problem. As soon as an addon opens a text window, XBMC suspends its internal web services, thus terminating all communication with XBMC Commander. I've opened a ticket in XBMCs bugtracker for this quite some time ago: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11213
hope this will get fixed... Unfortunately for now theres nothing i can do about it Sad

So is there an iPad XBMC remote that will operate successfully with XBMC in the keyboard mode?
Obviously not when using addons then ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rowmote funtionality0