• 5(current)
"adjust display refresh rate to match video"
Memphiz Wrote:You see this dvd behaviour only when refreshrate adaption is turned on?

It never happened before I upgraded to the latest nightly, and started using the feature. I turned it off just now for testing, and started playing a dvd three times and had no trouble. Then, I turned it back on again and started playing the same dvd and playback was super slow (you would not be able to watch the movie at that speed), plus no sound.

Before I turned the feature on, my display was using 24Hz, but with the feature on it changed to the correct (for this content) 50Hz. It is automatically changing the refresh rate, but sporadically it renders the 50Hz movies/series unplayable. 24Hz content seems to be doing fine, but then it does not have to change the refresh rate either.

EDIT:

I have done a little more testing, such as uninstalling SwitchResX, which did not help. I changed my default refresh rate from 24Hz to 60Hz, and watched XBMC switch to 50Hz automatically, but still playing the content extremely slowly. Using 60Hz on my display settings, and then trying to play some 24Hz content in XBMC shows the same behaviour. It will automatically switch from 60Hz to 24Hz, but the playback is in extremely slow motion.
xbmc.log in debug mode.
I gave it a try, and it seems to work fine, though i havent had the time to thoroughly test it. Smile

Thanks for this patch, it was totally unexpected Smile
davilla Wrote:xbmc.log in debug mode.

Here it is: http://pastebin.com/vMAukk3X

Hope it is useful. Laugh

Thank you for your good work and help!

EDIT:

I should add that low-quality SD content (xvid/mp3) seems to play fine when XBMC auto-adjusts to 50Hz from 24Hz. I will do some more testing.

EDIT2:

SD content at 60Hz also plays fine, again auto-adjusted from my usual 24Hz. Seems like only my HD or DVD content is affected by the slow, approximately 7 FPS.
Video changes from 60Hz to 24Hz depending on source material. One odd behavior, however. When the switching to and from 24Hz, the OSX desktop becomes visible for a 1/4 second or so (running Snow Leopard).

Another observation, my TV reports the refresh rate switching to 24Hz (and locking there) but the fps counter within XBMC shows the refresh rate bouncing around 24Hz +/- a few Hz.
m_lopez_h Wrote:Video changes from 60Hz to 24Hz depending on source material. One odd behavior, however. When the switching to and from 24Hz, the OSX desktop becomes visible for a 1/4 second or so (running Snow Leopard).

Another observation, my TV reports the refresh rate switching to 24Hz (and locking there) but the fps counter within XBMC shows the refresh rate bouncing around 24Hz +/- a few Hz.

OSX desktop visible during fade in or fade out ? What is your delay set to ?

The reported fps will vary depending on how well we are rendering, ie. nothing preempts us. If something in OSX takes CPU even for a fraction of a second, we can get locked out. That means any apps running in the background. Also, remember that 24 fps != 23.976 fps. By default, OSX will see 24 but you need to use SwitchResX to get 23.976.
davilla Wrote:OSX desktop visible during fade in or fade out ? What is your delay set to ?

The reported fps will vary depending on how well we are rendering, ie. nothing preempts us. If something in OSX takes CPU even for a fraction of a second, we can get locked out. That means any apps running in the background. Also, remember that 24 fps != 23.976 fps. By default, OSX will see 24 but you need to use SwitchResX to get 23.976.

OSX desktop is visible for both fade in and fade out. I'm not familiar with SwitchResX but will look into it and install. With regard to background applications, I'm not sure what all is running in the background. The Mini is a dedicated HTPC that only runs XBMC and is my first Apple PC. Regardless, should have some time tonight to do further testing.

Question, on my Win7 XBMC installation (bootcamp) I use the <adjust refresh rate> and <over ride> settings. Is this also necessary in OSX?
davilla Wrote:OSX desktop visible during fade in or fade out ? What is your delay set to ?
Both.. Tried setting delay to 3 sec but it didn't have any effect on this.

Just for comparison, Plex flashes blue background when switching refresh rates.

Fully patched Snow Leopard on 2010 mini, mini > hdmi > avr > tv.

Switching itself has worked on every video i've tried Smile
toiva Wrote:Both.. Tried setting delay to 3 sec but it didn't have any effect on this.

Just for comparison, Plex flashes blue background when switching refresh rates.

Fully patched Snow Leopard on 2010 mini, mini > hdmi > avr > tv.

Switching itself has worked on every video i've tried Smile

retry with the next nightly ... i might have fixed the desktop flashing ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I have made a new debug log for you, this time using the nightly from 8th of December (latest as of this writing). It contains three playback attempts of a DVD and the first two resulted in slow ~7FPS, while the third and last attempt resulted in normal playback.

Again I have had my display on 24Hz and XBMC automatically switches that to 50Hz.

I hope this helps. Smile
As of this:

Code:
INFO: Found possible resolution for display 0 with 1920 x 1080 @ 25.000000 Hz

I wonder why it switches to 50hz instead of 25hz ... but thats only a cosmetic i think Wink

Ahh no ... i found it in your advancedsettings.xml i think

Code:
<override>
  <fps>25.0</fps>
  <refresh>50.0</refresh>
</override>

Did you try without that override?

Beside that you don't need the override from 23.976fps to 24hz. XBMC is smart enough to figure this on its own ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
You also could play with the sync settings in video playback ...
Memphiz Wrote:retry with the next nightly ... i might have fixed the desktop flashing ...

It is fixed, thanks.
Removing the overrides from advancedsettings.xml did not help, unfortunately. I also tried to enable A/V sync based on video (resampling audio), but the issue persists.

Let me know if you want more logs. Smile
Could you try to enable the delay for resoultion switching - for something like 5 secs or so and report back if that helps?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"adjust display refresh rate to match video"0