PC Power button not working in XBMC
I've got exactly the same problem. Does anyone have a fix yet?
Hi,

can anybody try these commands (assuming is running under user 'xbmc')?

Code:
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

Cheers.
i SSHed in while XBMC is in fullscreen and all those commands do nothing and output nothing.
Put only the 1st line, then hit <enter>. After this you will need to insert your password.
After you put the user password you can enter all the others at once.
If you copy/past all at once, the result will be no output.

Cheers.
I'm willing to try it out, but what does it do? And is there a possibility that I mess things up with this?
http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKi...uth.1.html

"polkit-auth is used to inspect, obtain, grant and revoke PolicyKit authorizations."

It will authorize user xbmc to suspend, hibernate, reboot and shutdown.

Regards.
Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
polkit-auth: AuthorizationAlreadyExists: An authorization for uid 1000 for the action org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions with constraint '' already exists
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
Same for me...
So, the problem isn't the lack of privilege for user XBMC. This was very common in the previous revisions.

Cheers.
The previous versions actually had an option for "front powerbutton action" in the "power saving" settings menu. That isn't there anymore, and apparently it defaults to nothing now.

I guess if xbmc is going to absorb the button press, we need the option back to specify what it should do.
I don't know if is default to nothing. Both my computers running XBMC 9.11 (12/24/09) shutdown when I press power button in XBMC. I'm running Karmic minimal install.

The problem, in fact, is when I'am in command line. In this case, power button does nothing. That's odd...

Regards.
I get 'polkit-auth: command not found' when trying to use those commands. BTW I am running XBMC as a fullscreen app with a gnome session logged in as my regular user (not XBMC user), and pressing the power button does nothing for me until I quit XBMC. As others have said the power down configuration options only affect the "soft" button, while the physical power button is disabled by XBMC.

I also have the problem with the DVD drive ignoring physical button presses once a software program has accessed the DVD. Sad
FireMan Wrote:Hi,

can anybody try these commands (assuming is running under user 'xbmc')?

Code:
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

Cheers.

I did enter to root password after the first command, I still get no output. But then I am running a full ubuntu install not the live, maybe I already installed polkit, I cant remember I will have a look when I get home.

The command still outputs nothing.
Same here, power button does nothing and also DVD drive after it has been accesed by XBMC. Using Karmic and Camelot.

The powersaving menu suggests that XBMC action is to 'quit', this only brings me back to Linux, not shut the machine down!

My other HTPC is running Jaunty with Alpha 2 and the power button shuts the machine off. There's a little beep from XBMC and then off! Not so anymore...
This has fixed the shutdown/suspend problem for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PC Power button not working in XBMC1