buffering issues
its running on a dell laptop. Windows 7
Baldo Wrote:its running on a dell laptop. Windows 7

I believe nate means what are the hardware specs?

Processor/memory?
http://pastebin.com/m35f361db

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name OFFICE_COMPUTER
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model RK575AA-ABA a1740n
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, 1867 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.06, 24/11/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Canada
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name OFFICE_COMPUTER\Steve
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 851 MB
Total Virtual Memory 3.98 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.54 GB
Page File Space 1.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Doesn't look like the fault is in your hardware...at least from first glance.

However...did you try playing several videos and then posting a debug log?? I don't see the actions one would usually see when looking at a debug from somebody trying to play video.
I cant play several videos. Thats the problem. They all buffer. It only happens in Navi x by the way.
sooooooooooo any ideas/help? I have super internet connection by the way if that helps.
Old topic but I'm having a very similar issue. However my setup is as such.

FreeNAS server with SMB shares:
Gigabit Network with Cat6 cables:
HTPC: C2D E6300, 2GB Ram, 250GB (5400RPM drive, 8MB Cache), Win 7 Pro 32bit, ATI HD5450.
HDMI out to the TV.

The buffering is only when I'm playing my TVShows. I haven't tested sufficiently enough to see if they are happening with my movies.
I agree with the last poster, this thread seems to be old and dead with no constructive solutions provided. In any case, I am having the exact same issue with my setup and that my setup is very similar to the others that are having issues. I have an iomega storcenter pro ix4 NAS (which uses SMB sharing similar to at least one other poster here), and I'm running wirelessly to the storage server, and I have a very sturdy HTPC hardware setup that I've been using for years on MP, and also works fine in any and all media players (vlc, wmp, etc).. I've always disliked MP and was thrilled to find XBMC as an alternative. I'm not counting on any good input from this thread but figured I'd reenforce the notion that this does appear to be an issue that needs resolution. If I end up finding an answer I'll be sure to post back here for the greater good.
To reinforce this even further, i just ran into th exact same buffering issue in XBMC.

I have a Synology NAS connected through a dd-wrt router to my htpc (zbox). In my case wireless is not even being used. Everything worked fine for about 3 months, but all of a sudden i got all my *.mkv movies buffering at random times. Sometimes it runs 10-13min before buffering, sometimes less.

Before this issue came up i had ZERO buffering in XBMC...in fact i didnt even see the buffering screen. My LAN is all cat6 and i got no clue what to do next.

The only things that i did recently was:
1) Ran some updates in ubuntu 10.04 which may have contained some SMB share stuff.

At first, i thought maybe one of my routers was going, so i did a hard-reset on the dd-wrt router, redid all the settings, etc. and still got the same issue.

I am going to look into this whole SMB share next...perhaps some settings got messed up, but i dont even know where to start Sad
I too have this problem. Gigabit LAN, verified 30MB/sec file copies, no problems with Media Player Classic HC. XBMC buffers now and then.

This has to be some kind of bug. If it makes any difference I use a Radeon 3200 based mono with hardware video decoding. CPU is an Athlon X2 low end.
make sure that your router is set your channel width to at least 200-400MHz that is default for me, you will also want to check to see if the frimware on your router is current as well as having current drivers for your NIC, I am assuming that you atleast have an N router. This will not completly eliminate buffering but, having done this myself the majority of my buffering occurs at the beginning so its really not that much of a bother for me
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
This is going to be long i guess Smile

I have worked on XBMC for a week now to get it flawless, i got it worked quite fast with some basic setup, XBMC on my laptop with Wifi to a WNDR3700 router.

But then i wanted to get my home built NAS with the goodies on to stream it to my laptop, i used SAMBA to share a folder, it worked i checked Iptraf and it was around 8-16Mbit/s depending on the movie.

After that i wanted it to go further, I wanted to have the opportunity to take with me my laptop to my friend or parents and then stream the material.
I know this would be possible theoretically because their DSL line is around 16Mbit/s+. So i started to test out with VPN and OpenVPN was the best one to do so i installed it on my NAS and borrowed my neighbors Wifi to test it out, and it worked. So i needed more bandwith i tested my laptop at my job
and it worked flawless, and i checked iptraf the same speed as home.
Could be because my home and job is in the same city and same ISP.

Anyway, so far i got XBMC, OpenVPN, SABNzbd, Sickbeard, CouchPotato, rTorrent, XBMC, website to work that i wanted.

Now i wanted to test it live at my parents, took with me my laptop and plugged it in, OpenVPN worked, XBMC worked with SAMBA and i could start to play a movie. Then the Buffering came i was like WTF!.

Checked the Iptraf at the VPN on my NAS, 3-8Mbit/s.. hmm something isnt right, started to check OpenVPN optimization, did what i could, i checked
my SAMBA configuration all over again, and XBMC configuration.
Nothing worked so i thought maybe the line wasn't enough so i went to my friend, the same issue their. So i started a transfer a file with SAMBA the speed was 1.8MB/s (around 18Mbit/s) the same goes with FTP transfer.
So i thought why is a normal transfer so fast but not the stream ?

So i checked for another solution, FTP, UPnP, NFS. FTP didnt worked as i wanted, UPnP didnt play Rar archives for some reason with Mediatomb.
NFS didn't work with Windows 7, it didn't mater what configuration i did on my NAS, i could mount the folder in Windows 7 but but as fast i wanted to go into it, explorer.exe hangs.. Well so i got back to check even more configurations, didn't find anything.

So yesterday night i was desperate so i took an computer i had at my parents installed Ubuntu 10.10, with OpenVPN and XBMC and mounted my folder with NFS, seriously mount with NFS in Ubuntu was easier then mounting a hard drive...
Well when i got the setup ready it was 5:am on the morning so i had to sleep some, but i did some test first and got the streaming working and now i saw really good speeds on my connection around 12-16Mbit/s was the streaming on through the VPN so i was happy and went to bed.

Now i thought i was done and mounted the NFS drives and updated the library and everything, and was about to test it more then 2 minutes, so I took a 720p movie and started it. It was good for about 10-15min the it started to buffer, i was like whats wrong now ?
Iptraf showed good speeds but then I looked in "top" to see how much the CPU is working and it was on 20-22% idle and 90-100 load and that wasn't so good because the VPN need some CPU power as well.

So i ran into BIOS overclocked my CPU from 2.0Ghz to 2.8Ghz and raise the memory to the GPU, and now the cpu runs around 50-60% with a 720p movie on, and i haven't seen any buffer at all so far.

So what i have learned so far is that SAMBA sucks donkey ass for streaming, to weak cpu/gpu may do some buffering.

Sorry if I have wrote something unclear, it can explain it better if anyone want to, i have found so many guides and how-toConfused on the NET so i want to share my thoughts a little Smile
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:make sure that your router is set your channel width to at least 200-400MHz that is default for me, you will also want to check to see if the frimware on your router is current as well as having current drivers for your NIC, I am assuming that you atleast have an N router. This will not completly eliminate buffering but, having done this myself the majority of my buffering occurs at the beginning so its really not that much of a bother for me

I am using gigabit ethernet hard wired in, not wireless. I have verified that file copies over SMB from another Windows box easily hit 30MB/sec+. The XBMC box itself is running Vista with pretty much everything turned off.

Dharma (10.1) is exactly the same as 10.0. It isn't just high bandwidth movies either, 720p TV rips stop for buffering too.

Just to re-iterate an important point, Media Player Classic HC plays the same files perfectly.
mokojono Wrote:I am using gigabit ethernet hard wired in, not wireless. I have verified that file copies over SMB from another Windows box easily hit 30MB/sec+. The XBMC box itself is running Vista with pretty much everything turned off.

Dharma (10.1) is exactly the same as 10.0. It isn't just high bandwidth movies either, 720p TV rips stop for buffering too.

Just to re-iterate an important point, Media Player Classic HC plays the same files perfectly.

Check the CPU usage when you are playing the movie.
The first post in this thread is from 2009, and in 2011 many users are with this problem. I think this issue is being ignored but for the record I have the same issue with the dharma stable release and now with the new Eden beta1 release.

I have a wired connection from my PC to the router and from the router to the HTPC. The Network is running at Giga and during the movie playback is just around 2,5% of use. The CPU in the HTPC is more or less 30% and the HDD response time in the PC is around 4ms (the movies are in this HDD). So, with this values, there is no apparent hardware issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
buffering issues1