Video tearing running ubuntu (revo 1600)
Hey everyone first post here.

I have an acer revo running the latest version of ubuntu (9.10) and xbmc. I have quite a bit of video tearing running 720p videos. This happens mostly with fast moving action.

I am running the revo though HDMI to a 42" plasma tv with a 1080p resolution. All of the latest drives for nvidia have been installed that I know of ( I installed the ones it prompted me to install, I have the nvidia setup manager).

I have VDPAU setup and no ofter video settings that I can think of turned on in settings (vertical syncing etc). I have no desktop effects turned on.

I have 1gb of ram inside the machine with the vram set to 256mb, I have heard it plays okay with these settings.

If you need anymore info please let me know. I have been struggling for days and the only fixes I have found have been for the higher end revo now the 1600.
Wow im having the same exact issues nearly except for with 9.11 and what appears to be nearly all video not just hidef.
I haven't tried reducing desktop effects nor getting more ram and dedicating it to the video..however im wondering if there are solutions out there
Have you found something that resolved this?
Anyone else have some ideas

Drew
Not sure exactly what your problem is... but any tearing fix should be the same on your box or just about any other ubuntu box with an nvidia card. There's really nothing special about the Revo. It's just a low power CPU with a VDPAU capable nvidia card attached.

Might want to mess with "VSYNC" settings in the nvidia-settings app, and also in xbmc. Those are the usual causes of tearing.

Also make sure your box isn't defaulting to 1080i for some strange reason (most TVs can display the current resolution by hitting the display or info button).
Add this to your xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
bobo1on1 Wrote:Add this to your xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Extensions"
EndSection

THANKS!

I don't know what the original poster meant when he said "tearing," but disabling this option fixed a problem I just had with distorted video on a new install my P4 w/ 8400 HTPC running XBMC 9.11 with the 190.53 driver. I never had to do this with previous versions of XBMC, and am pretty sure (but not absolutely sure) that I was running the same NVidia driver version.
Try to add this to your xorg.conf:
Code:
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling=Native"
in the "Device" section.

Hope this works for ya...
Peterwphoto Wrote:Hey everyone first post here.

I have an acer revo running the latest version of ubuntu (9.10) and xbmc. I have quite a bit of video tearing running 720p videos. This happens mostly with fast moving action.

I had quite a bit of tearing when running compiz and XBMC.
Mixx Wrote:I had quite a bit of tearing when running compiz and XBMC.

Which is why you'll find suggestions all over the place that recommend not doing that.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Add this to your xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Extensions"
EndSection

This worked perfectly for me.

System is an Athlon X2
1gig ram
nvidia 8400 GS
Stock Ubuntu 9.10 desktop install
XBMC Camalot

I had video tearing horizontally around the middle of my screen only when the camera panned. Adding this option and only this option to my xorg.conf fixed the problem. I also have in XBMC system options vsync set to only when playing video and resolution is 1920x1080 fullscreen.

Thx for the help

Brockoli
Mixx Wrote:I had quite a bit of tearing when running compiz and XBMC.
althekiller Wrote:Which is why you'll find suggestions all over the place that recommend not doing that.

Thanks!

Had bad tearing on a new XBMC install. Figured the easiest thing to try out of these suggestions was setting Visual Effects in Ubuntu to None. Solved the problem instantly.
Just thought I'd let people know the xorg.conf fix still works in 2014. I saw tearing after upgrading my media center PC to Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. Disabling desktop effects did not fix it, but the xorg.conf change did. In my case, this is the only setting in the file. THANKS!
I upgraded my HTPC (new CPU and motherboard) and got vertical tearing. The video card was the same that on previous HTPC and there are no tearing even on slow old AMD 64 proc. I tried a lot of variants and found solution. I am using VGA and HDMI output, HDMI for LCD panel, VGA for small monitor. I looked on previous xorg.conf and found TWO "Monitor", "Device" and "Screen" sections for each output. I divided "Monitor" and "Device" sections some like this:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    ModelName      "HDMI"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    ModelName      "VGA"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 220"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 220"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable" # Disable Composite for better H264 acceleration
EndSection

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video tearing running ubuntu (revo 1600)1