Grub Error 17
I have Beta 1 installed to a USB memory stick

was working fine till I changed some settings in my bios (nothing changed related to HDDs)

and now I'm getting the Grub Error 17 error message on attempting to boot from the memory stick

I've read up and found it could be either

(1) as the partition has become corrupt

(2) as the "drive ID" has changed as the bios has been saved -ie the Grub loader is now pointing to the wrong place

which is more likely please ?

if (2) does this mean after installing a Linux dist you can't really make any changes in your bios afterwards ?

thanks for any help, Buckster
It's probably #2. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GRUB_Error_17
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
thanks - looks complicated - looks like anew install is required Sad

question - am I asking for trouble anyway as I have an external HDD (USB) - which is not always on + the USB memory stick with the XBMC/Linux installation on it

so therefore there is a high chance "device ID" /order could change therefore messing up a future install ?
New install not needed, just fix grub.

# grub
grub> root (hd0,6)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

You'll need to substitute your location in for the 0,6 in the above but you get the idea don't you?

1) Describe your system to us, i.e. I have one HDD (SATA) and one USB HDD or two HDDs (both SATA). Also, did you install grub on your primary HDD (i.e. /dev/sda) or did you put it on your usb HDD?
2) Boot a live Linux CD and post the output from a "fdisk -l"
thanks Grasky - its a PC with 2xNTFS drives (which I'm not using with Linux at the moment)

+ a 1.5TB external HDD (USB)
+ a 4 GB USB Memory stick

installed from a Memory Stick onto the other Memory stick (the one listed above)

grub is on the memory stick

thanks
Too complication. Put grub on your 1st hhd and then point it to your win o/s and your memory stick o/s. You'll have the same problem though because grub depends on the correct order of drives; if you leave on out of the mix, it won't know and look where it isn't... why not just give xbmc a small partition one of your hdds and bang using a usb memory stick all together?
I'm having a similar problem. I installed RC1 from one thumb drive setup with unetbootin to another thumbdrive and I get the grub error 17. During setup, I installed grub to the same thumbdrive i installed xbmc live to (/dev/sdb1). The computer is a acer revo 3610 and has a 160gb hdd with win7 on it (/dev/sda). Any ideas?
josh1014 Wrote:I'm having a similar problem. I installed RC1 from one thumb drive setup with unetbootin to another thumbdrive and I get the grub error 17. During setup, I installed grub to the same thumbdrive i installed xbmc live to (/dev/sdb1). The computer is a acer revo 3610 and has a 160gb hdd with win7 on it (/dev/sda). Any ideas?

My advice to you USB stick folks:

graysky Wrote:Too complication. Put grub on your 1st hhd and then point it to your win o/s and your memory stick o/s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Grub Error 170