[WINDOWS] Testers wanted for MCE remote control support!
Information 
I need volunteers to test some changes I've made to improve support for remote controls.

Long term members of this forum will know that ever since v8.10 I've been building custom versions of XBMC that provide ad hoc support for MCE remote controls. I'm now at work on changes to support remotes that will, if successful, be included in XBMC v10.5 (the work is too late to go into Camelot). Anyone interested should download http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/keymod.zip and follow the instructions in the zip to install and configure the test build.

The changes are to support the control, shift and alt keys in the key map. So for example you can configure control-P to execute the Pause action, the point being that many remotes send control-P when you press the Pause button. The test build will only be useful if your remote works by sending keystrokes, but most cheap remotes work this way and the official Microsoft remote can be configured to send keystrokes.

Please post your experiences and opinions in this thread. This isn't an official build so don't hassle any of the XBMC team except me or you'll make me very unpopular! :-)

JR
Just registered to say thankyou - this appears to be exactly what I need Smile

I've been an xbox xbmc user for years, and only recently built a PC to replace it. Never needed to register here since I managed to fix any problem I had myself.

However, the cheap MCE remote copy I have insists on having the Next Track and Previous Track buttons the wrong way around compared to any other remote. Until now I've had to resort to a AHK script to remap all the remote buttons to their XBMC equivalent... hopefully this will remove the need for AHK.

Thanks,
Mike
MikeyBe Wrote:Next Track and Previous Track buttons the wrong way around compared to any other remote

Did you try changing the next/prev mapping? Did it work?

JR
Control+P = Print not Pause ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
The modifiers work pretty well for me, but I seem now to have problems with the volume controls, which, if I'm right, are based on something entirely separate from keyboard commands, right?

I only spent a little time looking at the solution though and may try trouble shooting tonight.
natethomas Wrote:I seem now to have problems with the volume controls, which, if I'm right, are based on something entirely separate from keyboard commands, right?

Depending on your remote the volume controls send either an APPCOMMAND message, a VK_VOLUME_UP keypress or an entirely different keypress. What does ShowKey show when you press the volume up/down buttons?

JR

I have this remote, and I was hopeful this app may help me, but no alas..

Out of the BOX xbmc works to a point, I get the play / pause stop / ffwd etc.

But anything more and I'm stumped. I have tried event ghost and various others and still fail to unlock the potential of the remote.

The main keys I am looking to get working are (I) information. and Volume, Context menu would also be a bonus.

Any Ideas I'm stumped.
Alright, after a bit of review, I think I fixed it. For whatever reason, when trying to make the remote compatible for both XBMC and Windows MC, I updated the registry to change the volume up and down from VK_VOLUME to f10 and f9. My problem was that I failed to update the new keymap.xml that you provided to see this.

showkey, btw, did not show my hitting the f10 key and rarely and unreliably showed hitting the f9 key. Regardless, after updating the keymap, volume is working in both XBMC and MCE.
Broads Wrote:Image

Out of the BOX xbmc works to a point, I get the play / pause stop / ffwd etc.

But anything more and I'm stumped. I have tried event ghost and various others and still fail to unlock the potential of the remote.

The main keys I am looking to get working are (I) information. and Volume, Context menu would also be a bonus.

Any Ideas I'm stumped.

Did you use ShowKey and then map the keys using the id's given doesn't sound like it to me as I have exactly the same remote so know it should be possible with this release

As for (I) if its exactly the same as mine then that's right mouse click, currently the only way to get that to work is using AutoHotKey
Broads Wrote:Image

Out of the BOX xbmc works to a point, I get the play / pause stop / ffwd etc.But anything more and I'm stumped. I have tried event ghost and various others and still fail to unlock the potential of the remote.

Hi, I bought one remote like the yours here in spain, the model is exactly this: http://www.t-visto.com/productos/disposi...indows.htm

I have the same problems with it and i found a solution. Use eventghost, but you must add to eventghost two devices, generic human hid (the remote) and generic keyboard. Some keys of the remote produce events on remote and some on keyboard, now you can program evenghost to use almost all keys. I use the colored keys to INFO, codec info , adjust 4:3 zoom,etc.

Good luck,

Mochilote.
Mochilote Wrote:Hi, I bought one remote like the yours here in spain, the model is exactly this: http://www.t-visto.com/productos/disposi...indows.htm

I have the same problems with it and i found a solution. Use eventghost, but you must add to eventghost two devices, generic human hid (the remote) and generic keyboard. Some keys of the remote produce events on remote and some on keyboard, now you can program evenghost to use almost all keys. I use the colored keys to INFO, codec info , adjust 4:3 zoom,etc.

Good luck,

Mochilote.

I'm guessing you haven't even tried the XBMC build above ?

Unless I have a remote that looks exactly the same as yours but gives out different codes in which case it wouldn't work with mce either then you should be able to get it to work with this build

If not with autohotkey you can get every button working including (I) which is a mouse button
I've just updated my test build to make the changes work properly on Linux. If anyone would like to try the new build (jhust to make sure I haven't broken anything) it's at http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/keymod.zip.

Thanks,

John Rennie
jhsrennie Wrote:I've just updated my test build to make the changes work properly on Linux. If anyone would like to try the new build (jhust to make sure I haven't broken anything) it's at http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/keymod.zip.

Thanks,

John Rennie

Hey man,

Just wondering, have you updated this for the final release of camelot (for windows, specifically) which was just released?
elgen Wrote:Hey man,

Just wondering, have you updated this for the final release of camelot (for windows, specifically) which was just released?

http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/camelot.zip

Incidentally, thanks to all the Linux users who helped out. The changes are now in the SVN and they do work on Linux.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/camelot.zip

Incidentally, thanks to all the Linux users who helped out. The changes are now in the SVN and they do work on Linux.

JR

Awesome! My FWD, RWD and Volume Up and Down as well as Mute buttons all work as expected using your modified .EXE!

Having read your readme, I am not sure WHY they work now though. Allow me to be clear, I do NOT modify any .XML files, all I do is overwrite the XBMC.exe with yours.

So if all you have done is add support for CNTRL, ALT, etc. combo keys in the .XML, why do my WM_APPCOMMAND based buttons now work with your modified .EXE, where they DIDN'T work with the standard camelot release?

Just curious, and thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Testers wanted for MCE remote control support!1