New HTPC, GF9400 vs G210 vs G220
Hi all,

I have been running XBMC for a while now (from my laptop) and love it, so I am considering building a dedicated HTPC for it.

I plan on running WindowsXP, with an LGA775 E6300 Cpu. I know that XBMC doesn't yet fully do DXVA in Windows but I have tested this CPU out and it seems to handle most 1080 stuff okay, and most of the stuff being played will be 720p anyway.

Having said that, if it does become an issue I can always throw on linux for VDPAU.

Considering that, the only other requirements I have are:
- At least 3 on board sata ports
- Audio over HDMI.

Apparently the IGP Nvidia 9400 is pretty good with this for both windows and linux, with LMCP 7.1?

The only problem with the 9400 is it can be difficult to get motherboards, the only real option is the DFI jr gf9400-t2rs. Not such a problem as the price is -okay- and it has good features.

So I basically have 2 options

1. DFI JR-GF9400-T2RS motherboard
2. Any other 775 motherboard with a G210 or GT220 drop in card.

From what I have read the G210/220 might have better video quality/features/decoding. However I have also read that even though it is meant to have LCMP 7.1, it doesn't currently work in windows or linux.

Lastly is there much difference between the 210/220?

So. Is my information correct, and are there any suggestions on these options?

Thanks!
Does anyone know if the G210/G220 Audio over HDMI issues are exclusive to linux, or does it not work in windows as well?
Audio issue is Linux only. Works great in windows.

Hopefully only a matter of time before nvidia sort some Linux audio drivers.
Buy an XBMC dev a Xmas Drink here!
Thanks for the confirmation! Maybe I am best off getting some cheap gigabyte LGA775, G41 motherboard and putting a GT220 in there.

That would have to be better than using the on board X4500 surely?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC, GF9400 vs G210 vs G2200