• 7(current)
Req native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option
@Adam.h.

It's understandable that it's hard to keep interest up when your work is stuck in limbo for such a long time. I just wanted to chime in with what Edgewalker says above; it's a very needed feature and I appreciate the time you've put into trying to get it included. I hope you'll hang on a bit longer, until the post-Frodo work begins and new features start gettings accepted again.
yup, still kicking, but need more support from all of you of these 1% guys interested in this feature to push it trough the xbmc bureaucracy :p
I could probably get more support for this, from xbmc users outside the forum, but i dont know where they should lend their support, i dont think many of the developers view the forum. I also would assume they might not want civilians to people post on the github. I was not well received originally in my first post in support of this Smile

I think a big key to getting this added is if it PI users or others using systems with low processing power speak up more and want this feature to reduce cpu usage, rather then us wanting it for improved scaling.

It does look like their is interest from at least 1 or 2 developers which is nice, from what I could tell there is disagreement on implementation? Is there any compromise that could be made from either side?

(2012-12-19, 02:39)adam.h. Wrote: yup, still kicking, but need more support from all of you of these 1% guys interested in this feature to push it trough the xbmc bureaucracy :p

Support for what and what bureaucracy? You have no idea what you are talking about. There's active development of this feature right now in the github pull request. That page also has multiple XBMC devs who support the feature and would like to see it implemented. Not a single person is opposing this. The code needs to be worked on, and that's happening.
(2012-12-28, 10:29)Ned Scott Wrote: There's active development of this feature right now in the github pull request.
I hope you are right and you are not talking about this yada yada yada here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1096 Big Grin

okay, egg on my face. I'm the one who's not following the situation correctly. Sorry about that.

However, I still wouldn't call it bureaucracy. It they just wanted to cock-block your code then they wouldn't say anything at all and let the PR just die. Settings are a tricky thing in XBMC, and trying to get that right is as important as the feature itself. I understand that you want this to be tested first before committing defaults, so maybe that's where we should start at. I'm not a programmer and I'm not even that great at compiling, but maybe I can help organize something.
no hard feelings

I think my point is pretty simple - if I would be responsible for making this tiny PR to be something useful for users, then I need to have handy tool (advancesettings) where I can at least try some setup changes when an user will fall into any troubles with the default setup. call it a beta phase.

if this approach is not acceptable for the developers community maybe it is better than somebody else will take it over, implement it from scratch or improve/reuse my code - fine for me.
Adam - thanks for your work on this feature. This is big thing for anyone with a decent TV or receiver; and want to use those devices scaling capabilities. I'm very much in that category. I'm pretty disappointed with the current quality of SD content in XBMC. My 5 year old popcorn hour did a better jopb upscaling than my brand new HTPC with XBMC, let alone feeding native content directly to my receiver and letting it do its job better than either the HTPC or PCH.

Any chance of getting a compiled branch that does what you want to do with advanced settings in order to get a group of users testing it out? It would be just like the group that worked on the DSPlayer and/or the AE XBMC builds. You need a group of people willing to use it and test it out in order to work out the kinks. I for one would be very willing to test it out. Perhaps you can try getting a branch made once the Frodo final build is released?
Yes I would definitely be willing to test, maybe we can do this outside the xbmc ecosystem to accomplish what you want?

Im just worried this is going to die, and never see the light of day.
Same - I want to make sure that Adam's work, and it looks like he's put a pretty good effort into it, finds its way out to the community. Given all the work that went into the audio engine, and a significant part, among other things) was bitstreaming and HD sound(i.e. keeping the native sound signal intact) i look at this functionality as a necessary analog - to keep the native video signal intact, be it SD or HD, along with its refresh rate, which already exists.

Adam - let me know how I can help, if at all.
I would be great to have this feature. I'd rather let my avr do the upscaling.

Almost all my media is 720p with some files SD.
As a temporary solution, would it be my best choise to set Windows/XBMC to 720p resolution and let my avr upscale it to 1080p? Or should I just keep it at 1080p and let XBMC handle all the upscaling?
(2013-02-10, 20:43)Hoox Wrote: I would be great to have this feature. I'd rather let my avr do the upscaling.

Almost all my media is 720p with some files SD.
As a temporary solution, would it be my best choise to set Windows/XBMC to 720p resolution and let my avr upscale it to 1080p? Or should I just keep it at 1080p and let XBMC handle all the upscaling?

The problem with setting 720P output is that you will end up with 720P for all of your content, even the 1080P stuff.

At this point it's probably better to set the PC for 1080P output and allow Windows/XBMC to upscale your lower resolution content. Unfortunately that means that in situations in which the TV or AVR would do a more handsome job upscaling the lower resolution content, you will be missing out on those capabilities, until this is eventually implemented in XBMC (someday!).
I should also add that I'd still love to see this. My AVR is pretty good, certainly better than the HTPC for these kinds of things.
Am new to XBMC. This would make it a very nice addition. +1 for this feature.
+1

I also would very much like to see the addition of this feature.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option9