• 11(current)
Req native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option
It is not that easy. There is a feature request thread about it already. A team external developer also already brought up a pull request. (i don't find it right now). There is a big discussion why what he provided was not "good enough" for us. The problem itself is more complicated then most users think and that was revealed in that pull requests comments.

Unlikely to happen for helix. Someone would need to find that pull request (i guess its linked in the corresponding feature request thread) and try to make it acceptable.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
... I thought technically this is pretty much the same than the automatic refresh rate switching, which is already working reliably.

For the automatic refresh rate switching, the frame rate has to be determined by xbmc, and then the refresh rate is switched accordingly. I guess determination of the native resolution of the video is pretty much the same, from the technical point of view.

?
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10
(2014-07-14, 15:22)ix400 Wrote: I would immediately donate 50€ if this is implemented.

Chris

+1
(2014-07-14, 16:56)ix400 Wrote: For the automatic refresh rate switching, the frame rate has to be determined by xbmc, and then the refresh rate is switched accordingly. I guess determination of the native resolution of the video is pretty much the same, from the technical point of view.

Framerates tend to match exactly.
Resolutions don't. What do we do with an SD xvid video that is 608x340?
Do we display it as 640x480 with black bars on all sides? Users will complain that video doesn't fit their screen.
Do we resize it up to 640x350, and then let display resize it again? That will probably look worse than just doing the poorer resize once.

If you've set the display resolution to 640x480, then the GUI and subs will look awful. People will compain.

I think the first thing to do is to demonstrate the advantage.

Manually set the resolution in xbmc to 1280x720 or 720x576 or 640x480 (whichever matches the video best).
Set the zoom mode to actual size (so no scaling is done in xbmc). Take a photo of the screen.

Take another photo when xbmc has done the scaling with display at 1920x1080.

Post them for people to compare. If the improvement is huge, then you'll be more likely to convince a dev to try to implement this.
You should read my posts.

Resolutions that are 'standard' should be passed through without any scaling. I was talking about true 2k and true 4k files.
(2014-07-03, 10:16)ix400 Wrote: That's a pity.

An alternative for me would be to permanently run XBMC in UHD mode. However, upscaling of 50i and 60i does not work then, since my little intel nuc can do uhd only at 30p max.

So I have to switch between hd and uhd resolution manually all the time.

Maybe I can map a resolution switch to a remote button? I'm using openelec.

This is probably possible using the same JSON-RPC/script method for settings changing that some users use for audio: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=199579
(2014-07-14, 19:46)ix400 Wrote: You should read my posts.

Resolutions that are 'standard' should be passed through without any scaling. I was talking about true 2k and true 4k files.

True 4K content, as you put it, is 4096x2160, while UHD tv's are 3840x2160 so there's no 1:1 pixel mapping there either.
Whatever.

It just would be helpful to have a 'pass through' function for resolutions that conform to a standard like hd, uhd, sd or 4k.

To make it clear: At the moment it is not possible to watch uhd and hd material in turn without manually altering the resolution setting.
If you can consider an upscaling to the standard resolution from xbmc in theory you can achieve this with an addon.
But i think that xbmc doesn't provide supported resolutions in json rpc so the addon when you start to play the video have to parse the log to get the allowed resolutions and it's not that easy. Also the subs will have some problem (too big) and the gui will be awful but it's a quicker start point..
Hello

I want to implement this feature but I want to make it correctly. Which are the proper steps to follow?
Thanks in advanced.
Code for this feature already exists. Have a look at this pull request and the comments from other developers/users. This might give you an idea where to start and how to do it conform to kodi/xbmc requirements. You can start off by using the code from that pull request, the author explicitly allowed it.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1096
I have a more recent changeset for this.
But there still some cases where the chosen resolution is wrong.
https://github.com/X-dark/xbmc/compare/n...esolution2

Native resolution can be switched on/off in the GUI.
Hello X-dark

How can I help you with these issues?
basically the user should turn a "autoresolution" switch in the settings on and have the best possible experience without the need for further manual configuration. for that all possible use cases have to be considered.
that is atleast what i figured from the comments in the original native resolution pull request. all these (advanced) options need to be reduced to their absolute minimum.
(2014-12-05, 14:49)X-dark Wrote: I have a more recent changeset for this.
But there still some cases where the chosen resolution is wrong.
https://github.com/X-dark/xbmc/compare/n...esolution2

I tried this. Spotted one bug with Live TV (I was using simple IPTV addon).
In the channels view (with video playing windowed) it starts in GUI resolution (1080p).

If you switch to fullscreen (TAB) the HDMI resolution changes from 1080p to 576p which is fine.
When you switch back to channels view (TAB again) it remains in 576p resolution (which is quite ugly) and should probably return to 1080p.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option9