• 2(current)
Req native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option
Philmatic Wrote:All HDTVs and most home theater receivers deinterlace video and do so at MUCH greater quality than XBMC can. Not to mention it would SIGNIFICANTLY lessen the load on PCs
That's the common concern, I think. When you have decent HD Receiver between your HTPC and TV set, you would prefer that Receiver is doing most of the video massaging work.

So I think the request is about to have Video option which upscale to the nearest standard higher resolution (480p, 576p, 720p, 1080p) instead always upscale to the 1080p. Then the Receiver or TV set would be able to do its part.

So, any chance in the nearest future to have that implemented?
Need this option too Wink

"Enable auto resolution" instead of "enable auto refresh rate"

Juste play vidéo at native vidéo resolution/framerate Wink

Thanks LB06 for correcting me.

Hope , hope Wink
Dude, you really don't want to do that. I really hope I'm misunderstanding you, but if not:

1. 720i does not exist as any broadcasting or HD standard. You most definitely do NOT want to interlace 720p to 720i only to deinterlace it back to 720p. The same goes for any progressive signal (480p, 576p, 1080p). If the source is progressive you should most definitely not be (de)interlacing anything. That would be just plain stupid.

2. If you want motion interpolation from 24->50fps, why would you want to ban 24p? You'll need it. Or do you want to go from 24p to 24i or 50i or something Confused? That would be a double mistake: interlacing progressive material (see 1) and motion interpolation (but to each his own I guess).
Yeah, you right.

Juste want original output resolution, and native framerate.
Wink Thanks
Having said that, being able to send out the native (i.e. not like in the above scenarios) resolution, framerate and type (i vs p) could definitely have its uses. Many of us are already switching back and forth between 60Hz (GUI) and 24000/1001Hz (movie), so a switch has to be made anyway. Let's say the GUI runs at 1080p60. I doubt switching from/to for instance 576p50 (native resolution, native refresh rate) would be more complicated than switching from/to 1080p50 (XBMC-upscaled resolution, native refresh rate).

But if this option would be implemented, it would be nice to have the following option as well:

When going the GUI while playing a movie it would be nice if the GUI could be rendered in the resolution and refresh rate the movie is currently playing in. The aim would be to minimize changing resolution or refresh rate. When starting or stopping the playback this change is much less intrusive than it is when the playback keeps running. This option would be nice to have regardless of whether or not native resolution output is supported or not (because of the changes in the refresh rate).

If this is implemented, it would also be great if XBMC's GUI could be (optionally) resolution independent, to make sure that the GUI always looks consistent regardless of the resolution. I.e. the GUI elements do not suddenly become bigger just because you happen to be watching an SD movie.
I think, for the first attempt, block the possibility to go to the GUI while watching a movie, with this feature enable, could solve the problem.

What do you think ?
still got the OSD and info windows over the top of fullscreen
you'r right Wink my bad Wink need some sleep.
+1 for that feature. I currently do stream all low resolution movies to a hardware media player that does the upscaling.
+1 for this feature
+1
Forget the GUI / overlay.
Just separate settings for GUI and video resolution.

For example:

Set GUI resolution to 1080p@60HZ
Set video resolution to native video resolution @ native video FPS.

If video resolution is different from GUI resolution, disable GUI and overlay during playback. If one needs to adjust settings, stop playback, adjust settings, resume playback.

The main concern would be only to get correct subbtitle scaling to match the resolution.

Media player classic on Ati cards were able to output native resolution video and correct subtitle scaling years ago.

In modern catalyst drivers long gone are the options for separately handling video output from general desktop and color options.

Nvidia also disabled video mirror about 4 years ago.
Big Grin 
+1!

This is actually on of the very few things keeping me from buying/making a home cinema system. Smile

My plans are to have a nice Panasonic plasma with an Onkyo A/V receiver (with a Marvell Qdeo) and a HTPC filled with DVD VOB's.

If else I also would need an expensive Blu Ray player like e.g. a Pioneer LX55 or an Oppo for upscale processing, and a big external hdd,
or a "standard" BR player + an expensive media player with good upscaling chip and a big internal/external hdd... etc, etc

Simplicity, cost and functionallity (video, music, even games and massive storage room!) would be wonderful if the receiver could do the upscaling job!
I suppose xbmc would actually become more accessible for the more "nooby" cinema-lovers, like myself... (since something like proper codecs or fdd-show is somewhat Chinese to me, lol)

And I really, really want to become part of the HTPC-generation...? Big Grin lol

Anyway, thanks for providing such marvellous software! and I have by now become much wiser because of these forums, thanks for that!

greets, K (and sorry for my crappy English...)
a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... so let's start Wink

I spent few hours to dig into it and the results are promising. I'm pretty fresh to xbmc though, so maybe there is better way to deal with it. Anyway, what you need to run native resolution:

- patch the xbmc with these changes and rebuild the sw: http://www.filedropper.com/xbmc-native-res
- set in your advancedsettings.xml following variable in <video> section:
Code:
<video>
   <upscalemode>1</upscalemode>      <!-- upscalemode: 0-default, 1-native scaling, 2-max scaling --->
</video>
- set your receiver to upscaling mode - upscale source to maximum display resolution (1080p in my case)

How it works:
- the GUI works with maximum resolution
- when the player is spawned it reads the source dimension and sets the renderer to the lowest supported resolution which is the best match for the source resolution
- the movie is played with lowest acceptable resolution and is upscaled by the receiver to 1080p
- when the playback stops, the xbmc GUI is back to default resolution (1080p for me)

Here are few examples, where
USER = default screen resolution
NATIVE = movie resolution
ADJUST2 = final xbmc resolution for playback

Code:
NOTICE: Display resolution USER : default: 1920x1080 @ 24.00Hz (17)
NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 1920x1080
NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST2 : default: 1920x1080 @ 24.00Hz (17)

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 1280x720
NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST2 : default: 1280x720 @ 50.00Hz (29)

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 720x304
NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST2 : default: 720x576 @ 50.00Hz (37)

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 608x336
NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST2 : default: 640x480 @ 60.00Hz (41)

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 640x256

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 640x272

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 720x392
NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST2 : default: 720x576 @ 50.00Hz (37)

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 608x256

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 640x352

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 624x224

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 1280x544
NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST2 : default: 1280x720 @ 50.00Hz (29)

NOTICE: Searching for NATIVE resolution: 624x352

I have to say that results are surprisingly good. I'm using receiver with Marvell Qdeo chip and it is doing great job, the picture is visible better than when xbmc is upscaling directly to 1080p. Well, you need to try yourself to judge.

The function used to find the closest resolution match is very simple, perhaps it might be improved. For now it tries to find the lowest resolution which is equal or higher than source resolution and tries to keep as close as possible to original refresh rate for the display.

well, enjoy Wink
Put it up on XBMC's github as pull request as well.
ok, done: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1096

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option9