HTPC (ion-330ht) boots by itself
Terracotta Wrote:I'm glad I found this thread as I recently purchased an Asrock Ion 330 HT and it also "Magically" boots it self up when the TV (Samsung LCD) is on.

I did a bit of googling and found many complaints about LCD and Plasma TV interferring with IR on devices such as set top boxes. It seems these TV's emit IR in wideband frequencies of which includes the IR range. It can be worse if the TV's energy saving mode is set high.

Some people have had success with placing cut out pieces of exposed camera film or floppy disk over the IR reciever or placing their device behind smoked glass in a cabinet. Seems this can block the weaker spurious signals but still let the stronger signal from the remote thru'. I might try covering my IR reciever first.

I have also emailed Asrock about getting a new IR reciever just in case.

Thanks to all before me who have done the hard "yakka" (Aussie for work) in figuring this problem out.

A new IR will cure your problem so don't go messing around trying different techniques to stop it as I tried every trick in the book wasted a whole lot of time and energy doing exactly that myself

It will be your screen causing it but only because you have a faulty IR, Asrock shifted a lot of these boxes and if it was inherent to them all you would have seen hundreds of complaints everywhere not just a handful on here

I didn't think it would solve mine but this was one instance I was happy to be proved wrong Smile
>>X<<' Wrote:A new IR will cure your problem so don't go messing around trying different techniques to stop it as I tried every trick in the book wasted a whole lot of time and energy doing exactly that myself

Just of interest >>X<< how did you contact Asrock to request a new IR reciever? I filled in the support page email form but as yet haven't heard back from them (well 3 days since I sent it).
Terracotta Wrote:Just of interest >>X<< how did you contact Asrock to request a new IR reciever? I filled in the support page email form but as yet haven't heard back from them (well 3 days since I sent it).

Initially I used the technical support form

http://www.asrock.com/support/tsd.asp
>>X<<' Wrote:Initially I used the technical support form

http://www.asrock.com/support/tsd.asp

I have the same problem and I used the above link to contact ASRock Support. Still no reply from them (been over a week)

Doesn't look like they care about their customer base with this problem.
viperman3 Wrote:I have the same problem and I used the above link to contact ASRock Support. Still no reply from them (been over a week)

Doesn't look like they care about their customer base with this problem.

Strange because they have always been very quick to respond to me

Where are you based ?
I am located in Toronto, Canada.

How long has it been since you last contacted ASROCK?
Terracotta Wrote:Just of interest >>X<< how did you contact Asrock to request a new IR reciever? I filled in the support page email form but as yet haven't heard back from them (well 3 days since I sent it).

Terracotta, have you received any feedback from ASRock Support yet?
viperman3 Wrote:I am located in Toronto, Canada.

How long has it been since you last contacted ASROCK?

As I said previously they contacted me recently without any prompting after months without contact

The thing is it depends on where you are who contacts you it will be the department local to you, I guess there not as good in your part of the world if your location had been the same as mine I would have given you the email direct to who I dealt with which is why I ask
>>X<<' Wrote:As I said previously they contacted me recently without any prompting after months without contact

The thing is it depends on where you are who contacts you it will be the department local to you, I guess there not as good in your part of the world if your location had been the same as mine I would have given you the email direct to who I dealt with which is why I ask

So, after you got the new IR receiver, your system hasn't spontaneously booted up after the switch? Just want to know this before I pursue this issue with ASRock any further.
viperman3 Wrote:So, after you got the new IR receiver, your system hasn't spontaneously booted up after the switch? Just want to know this before I pursue this issue with ASRock any further.

Correct, mine would come on minutes after turning my screen on had to have it off at the mains when not in use

I really didn't think it would solve my problem as all the tests I did proved it was IR coming off my screen

Its been permanently switched on for over a month now and hasn't come on once Smile
viperman3 Wrote:Terracotta, have you received any feedback from ASRock Support yet?

I did get a response after about 3-4 days asking if it happened when connected to a LCD TV or computer monitor. As I haven't been able to connect it to a monitor I said TV.

Basically I tried to push point that others have already been thru' the problem and they (Asrock) sent them a new IR reciever which fixed it.

I haven't heard any more from them so I guess I have to send another email.
Will let you know if I get any response.
Well, I got a reply from ASRock Support after 2 weeks and here's that they had to say:

Quote:Dear Costumer,
Since the ouput of our system is PC signal, please the user to set the PC mode with his TV for try.
If his TV does not support such feature so far, please the user to contact TV manufacturer or vendor.
As we know, the feature may be supportted after some firmware update.
ASRock is not providing any IR receiver to any costumer;since this model does not have any problems with IR, sometimes people write in the forums ,but is not a true.
Please contact your vendor and return it for RMA.

ASRock America Support

So, it looks like they don't accept that there might be an issue with the IR Receiver and want the TV manufacturer to "fix" the problem. Well, it looks like I'll be getting nowhere with ASRock Support and if I'm not mistaken, I detect a little arrogance in their reply. Anyways, my brother-in-law wants a similar HTPC setup and I'll see if I can test the IR Receiver on his machine (when he get's it) on my machine. I'll post my findings then.

Terracotta, please provide any additional info if you get anywhere with ASRock Support.
PC signal stuff is a load of crap not to mention they are basically calling me a liar, don't worry my last email back in January told me to contact my TV manufacturer which is why I was surprised to get a email recently

They are right it doesn't have a problem with IR receiver unless its a faulty one Rolleyes

I don't like being called a liar

viperman3 I've sent you a PM
I finally got ASRock Customer Support to send me a replacement IR Receiver and I must say that the random power-on anomaly has been corrected.

The original IR Receiver I had seems to have been the problem.

If there is anyone else who has had similar issues, contact ASRock and kindly ask for a replacement. My PC was merely 2 months old and I suppose it's still covered by warranty (YMMV)

>>X<<: Thanks for all the help.

Cheers
Glad it sorted it I was pretty confident it would now you can enjoy using it normally Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC (ion-330ht) boots by itself0