XBMC live to Acer Arcade InstantOn
Question 
Hi!

Just got a new Acer laptop (7738) and discovered it has a feature called Acer Arcade InstantOn. With a press on a special button it boots Acer's media center. Im thinking about replacing this with XBMC (of course Big Grin )
What I have found is a 3.5Gb partition with a folder containing menu.lst.
Code:
hiddenmenu

timeout 0

copysector 29 16896
title normal

kernel /AnyTime/vace vga=0xFFF vaVV=XXX vaPXY=1600x900 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3 acpi_osi="ARCADE" quiet

initrd /AnyTime/vace-id

Could I copy the files from my XBMC-live usb stick to this partition and change menu.lst accordingly?
Any other hins from you linux gurus?
Popeye Wrote:Hi!

Just got a new Acer laptop (7738) and discovered it has a feature called Acer Arcade InstantOn. With a press on a special button it boots Acer's media center. Im thinking about replacing this with XBMC (of course Big Grin )
Code:
hiddenmenu

timeout 0

copysector 29 16896
title normal

kernel /AnyTime/vace vga=0xFFF vaVV=XXX vaPXY=1600x900 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3 acpi_osi="ARCADE" quiet

initrd /AnyTime/vace-id

Could I copy the files from my XBMC-live usb stick to this partition and change menu.lst accordingly?

I would not advice it (although I would be happy to know if it works) in order to reproduce it.

I have had a lot of trouble with an Acer, because ACER MBR is quite special. I has three partitions an Acer Recovery, the Windows OS, and the Acer ARCADE, and I think all of them are linked together (recovery starts if some or the other do not boot completely, restores original MBR, tries to restore files which scares me to hell).

My advice (anyhow) is to produce an exact copy of your shipped internal disk (I bought a Seagate 2.5 disk, and mirrored the original disk), and then started playing around. That has saved my acer 2 times already. You can allways mirror your shipped hard disk to your copy anytime

Enjoy
try it, it looks like grub.

do you have any folder /AnyTime on the some partition?
backup this menu.lst
copy the folder "live" from xbmc-live to this folder (where also is /AnyTime)

replace the lines with kernel and initrd with the contents of menu.lst from live cd

Code:
hiddenmenu

timeout 0

copysector 29 16896
title normal

kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live vga=788 xbmc=autostart,tempfs,nodiskmount,setvolume splash quiet loglevel=0 persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules notimezone noaccessibility noapparmor noaptcdrom noautologin noxautologin noconsolekeyboard nofastboot nognomepanel nohosts nokpersonalizer nolanguageselector nolocales nonetworking nopowermanagement noprogramcrashes nojockey nosudo noupdatenotifier nouser nopolkitconf noxautoconfig noxscreensaver nopreseed union=aufs

initrd /live/initrd.img

Popeye Wrote:Hi!

Code:
hiddenmenu

timeout 0

copysector 29 16896
title normal

initrd /AnyTime/vace-id

greetings, Stephan

THANKS for quick and good answers!

@horserider , Im not so sure about the restoring part. My Arcade actually just booted up the very first time I used my computer. After going through the windows7 setup process using the arcade button just boots into a prompt without any option to do things. No recovery being done...

@openelec.tv I will give it a try. think I will remove the "hiddenmenu" and change "timeout 0" to something useful. If it works I might even try to get chromiumOS running this way...
Popeye Wrote:THANKS for quick and good answers!

@horserider , Im not so sure about the restoring part. My Arcade actually just booted up the very first time I used my computer. After going through the windows7 setup process using the arcade button just boots into a prompt without any option to do things. No recovery being done...

@openelec.tv I will give it a try. think I will remove the "hiddenmenu" and change "timeout 0" to something useful. If it works I might even try to get chromiumOS running this way...

or if it works contact me per PM, and you can try an prerelease of my xbmc-distro (ca. 50-60MB).
this is an intel based system? which cpu?
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:or if it works contact me per PM, and you can try an prerelease of my xbmc-distro (ca. 50-60MB).
this is an intel based system? which cpu?
Sure, will do. Its a core 2 duo with a nvidia gt 240m gpu (http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=499163)
Popeye Wrote:Sure, will do. Its a core 2 duo with a nvidia gt 240m gpu (http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?e=499163)

ok, let me know if you have test this with xbmc-live
greetings, Stephan

xbmc-live from CD is working great on my laptop. Unfortunately it seems as if menu.lst is a leftover from when the build the instantOn. Must be some of the other files involved. Will take a peek into the bootmgr files in the diferent partitions...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC live to Acer Arcade InstantOn0