Is this possible?
At the moment I have 2 xbmc boxes (one ION and one ION2) running, and a server for storage.
Now i'm looking to build 2 more boxes, and replace the ION (this one isn't handeling 1080i tv streams to well).

But I hate all those boxes around the house, and like to replace it with 1 large server to serve all the tv's. Is it possible to get a mainbord like this one:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S.../#overview with 6 pcie 16x slots.
And then put in 6 graphic cards like this:
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.as...P3-1335-KR
Then I install VMware ESXi on the machine, and make some virtual pc's and assign 1 graphic card to each. And then I install openelec on these virtual pc's.
When doing this, I only have to buy 1 case, 1mainbord, 1 cpu, 1 hdd drive, etc. Which will safe me money, and ugly boxes around the house.
Now I only have to go from the server with 1 HDMI cable to every TV. And if the distance is to far, using something like this:

To control I can use an ipad or iphone or a pulse eight cec adapter.

I can also create additional virtual pc's for a storage server, download server, tv server, etc etc. Then I have everything in 1 case.

Is such a setup even possible? What do you think about this idea?
looks like a fab idea. you should build it :p
Why not just set up a centralized media server and then use terminals/frontends to play the media?

Seems like you're over-engineering here and would have a setup with much more complexity and cost than the more standard solution.

By the time you get the mobo (almost $400 itself), the video cards, and the HDMI-to-ethernet adapters you've probably spent just as much or more than by populating the house with simple G620/OpenELEC builds or (even cheaper) Android-based boxes.

There's no question it would be a cool setup that you're proposing, and fun to build, but if your goal is to reduce complexity and cost I think you're actually doing the opposite.

(2012-08-29, 14:42)bznotins Wrote: Seems like you're over-engineering here and would have a setup with much more complexity and cost than the more standard solution.
I agree. Not only does your server need N video cards - but it also has to deal with N remote controls, all of which need to be RF since none of them will be line of sight. However, do whatever you want - that's why we love XBMC! Also, there's another recent thread in this forum where somebody is doing exactly what you describe: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138921

@teaguecl
I will keep an eye on the thread you mentioned to see how the test will run.

This setup isn't much more expensive then using seperate boxes. Building 4 seperate boxes that will look good will cost about $1500. I think the above build would be about $1500-2000
And then I have the option to add 2 more by inserting an extra video card. And it also includes a server. This board has a SAS controller, so also no need to by an expensive raid controller.

If I'd like to safe money, than android boxes would be the best option for about $100 each. But are those able to play 1080i live TV streams?
Im working on building virtual XBMC machines.

I figure a machine can be built to support 5 XBMC machines and a few other machines of your choice for around 2000 bucks.

I have started testing and it can be found here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=virtual

As for the HDMI over ethernet... Its what I do now to deliver my 1 XBMC to 5 locations.

I see many advantages to having these machines be virtual.
It's a total overkill.
Don't get me wrong on this, i'd love seeing that, but 6 dedicated low end GPUs?!
You could probably look for pci-e 4x.. i think even that's sufficient for hd playback.
i saw benchmarks where 8x was barely throtteling gaming.

Perhaps you could even do it without virtualization..
It's possible to run multiple instances of xbmc on one machine, i think.
You would only have to change the ports.

I guess this would be the easiest solution.
2-3x Medium performance GPUs to get 6x hdmi outs.
Smartphones/cheap tablets/iPod touches etc to control xbmc from the different locations in your house. (much easier than iR-remotes)

Yeah, i think it would work this way. And it might even be chaper than 6x clients + a server.

Edit: I'm going to try this with my desktop tomorrow.. (it's hooked up to 3 monitors.)
(2012-08-31, 00:16)Michael.F Wrote: It's a total overkill.
Don't get me wrong on this, i'd love seeing that, but 6 dedicated low end GPUs?!
You could probably look for pci-e 4x.. i think even that's sufficient for hd playback.
i saw benchmarks where 8x was barely throtteling gaming.

Perhaps you could even do it without virtualization..
It's possible to run multiple instances of xbmc on one machine, i think.
You would only have to change the ports.

I guess this would be the easiest solution.
2-3x Medium performance GPUs to get 6x hdmi outs.
Smartphones/cheap tablets/iPod touches etc to control xbmc from the different locations in your house. (much easier than iR-remotes)

Yeah, i think it would work this way. And it might even be chaper than 6x clients + a server.

Maybe overkill.... But as an IT guy it's also a hobby and a challenge!
did you ever build this?
Hi

How did you get on with this?

I am looking at building a Combined Home Server and HTPC.

Thanks

Waz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this possible?0