• 3(current)
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?
ChocoboX Wrote:and do you know if it will be able to play h.264 1080 3D video smoothly?

I have one and I promise that it can play any x264 file you can throw at it. I have hundreds I have tried....

damn.. It's only $200 which means if I buy it in the states and get someone to ship it in my works post to me I only pay ~£120..
MC1 (SD & HD): Asus A8N SLI, AMD x2 4600+, 2GB DDR 400 Cosair, Palit Nvidia 9400GT 1GB (Passive), ARTIC 500W PSU, Lian Li PC-C32B, Samsung 250GB SATA
MC2 (SD&HD): RaspberryPi
MC3 (SD&HD): RaspberryPi
NAS1: HP Prolient Microserver N40L 2Gb Ram, 250Gb OS Disk, 1x2TB HDD ext4, 5.25" to 3.5" disk drive added to ODD Slot for OS disk

Blog: http://ninet.org
Pvt_Ryan Wrote:damn.. It's only $200 which means if I buy it in the states and get someone to ship it in my works post to me I only pay ~£120..

plus the extra for a power supply that is suitable for your country Smile
Pvt_Ryan Wrote:damn.. It's only $200 which means if I buy it in the states and get someone to ship it in my works post to me I only pay ~£120..

Plus import tax, royal mail handing fee and delivery charge.
Well, still very cheap and the remote looks very nice with a full QWERTY keypad.
poofyhairguy Wrote:I have one and I promise that it can play any x264 file you can throw at it. I have hundreds I have tried....

But have you tried 1080 3DHuh Big Grin

Wonder when people will start asking for XBMC in 3D... I don't know, it all seems gimmicky to me at this point.
saratoga Wrote:Its a DSP decoder separate from the GPU iirc. I think the GPU is just the usual Intel junk.

I love how people make useless speculation without doing any simple google searching Smile

Look at the CE41xx block diagram, it's the PowerVR hw by Imagination Technologies.
I'm really curious to see how open it's going to be. Is D-Link the company that encourages open source firmwares for their routers? I don't remember...
davilla Wrote:I love how people make useless speculation without doing any simple google searching Smile

Look at the CE41xx block diagram, it's the PowerVR hw by Imagination Technologies.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the Intel GMA500 is a PowerVR chipset, and its been out for a while, hence its the "usual Intel junk" IMO Smile
Jezz_X Wrote:plus the extra for a power supply that is suitable for your country Smile

In this day and age I'm sure the power brick in 120/240V anyway eh?
saratoga Wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the Intel GMA500 is a PowerVR chipset, and its been out for a while, hence its the "usual Intel junk" IMO Smile

Its worse than the usual Intel junk.

At least older generations of Intel junk (GMA950, X3100, etc.) were completely open source. But the GMA 500 depends on proprietary Power VR technology, which uses closed source bits to get the job done.

In fact, I see the GMA500 as Intel basically admitting that they failed at the GPU business, so they had to license technology from a GPU also-ran (at one time- Dreamcast days- Power VR was seen as a big player) just to compete.

Suddenly Intel goes from being Linux's best friend (by employing some of the most talented Xorg hackers on earth) to being a lesser version of Nvidia.

The worst part?

How Intel has cut Nvidia from the chipset business so that you HAVE TO buy and Intel GPU with your new CPU even if you don't plan to use it.

If AMD will finally break into Macs so I can build a decent AMD hackintosh desktop, I will leave Intel behind forever......

Hello,

luckily i just got a test sample of the boxee box...

As i'm since years a fan of XBMC i don't really like the Boxee software after my first tests......so my question now is if it will be possible to "hack" the boxee box and install only XBMC...Smile

I tested with different movie format like avi, mkv, rmvb, wmv...and till now it plays everything fine with 1080p...also subtitles are displayed correctly Smile

Thank You
Hi R u able to bitstream dts-hd ?
Hi,

tell me how to test.. then i'll tell you...but it can take some time bcz as of tomorrow i'll be in romania for some days....

Smile
jeromem75 Wrote:Hi R u able to bitstream dts-hd ?

That would be awsome.. But a quick google search says no =(
Please correct me if im wrong...
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?1