• 31(current)
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?
Robotica Wrote:Too bad Davilla didn't win one of those boxee boxes Big Grin

I would be suprised if he didn't have one .. Last I heard he has collection of media players ..

If we can't distribute the resulting binary, what is point of building xbmc on boxee box ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
topfs2 Wrote:Please everyone stop thinking there is some master plot behind everything and that we are overlords looking to take over the world and screw you guys over... We wouldn't be doing open source software if that where the case and frankly I am offended by the insinuation..

Is it true, then, that the "MC" in XBMC stands for Mind Control? If you're going to take over the world you have to have a decent mind-control device, no?

Okay, I'll get my coat... Wink
CrashX Wrote:If we can't distribute the resulting binary, what is point of building xbmc on boxee box ?

In that case, what was the point of XBMP / XBMC on the XBox? :p

Of course in that case the hardware was broken wide open by 3rd parties allowing the developers to "just" start programming.
defiler Wrote:In that case, what was the point of XBMP / XBMC on the XBox? :p

Of course in that case the hardware was broken wide open by 3rd parties allowing the developers to "just" start programming.

Interestingly, just as you say (and if memory serves), the XBMC devs neither broke the Xbox nor distributed the XBMC program. Oh, how I remember fondly and don't, in any way, miss the t3ch days.
natethomas Wrote:Interestingly, just as you say (and if memory serves), the XBMC devs neither broke the Xbox nor distributed the XBMC program. Oh, how I remember fondly and don't, in any way, miss the t3ch days.

Yep, but didn't it feel subversive? Smile
Well anyway Iomega has a device out with boxee on.

Seems the two off shots of xbmc, plex and boxee which are inferior are becoming successful, and I don't understand this.

I just hope the devs don't lose heart, these devices are cheap as shit boxes with inferior software on.
garyi Wrote:Well anyway Iomega has a device out with boxee on.

Seems the two off shots of xbmc, plex and boxee which are inferior are becoming successful, and I don't understand this.

I just hope the devs don't lose heart, these devices are cheap as shit boxes with inferior software on.

Boxee crippled the hell out of it to appease the powers that be. It was more of a Boxee Lite box.

Plex more or less went "closed" source for their server.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.

I'm relatively certain the devs are having no problem continuing on with their coding work.

They just got a strong recognition by Sigma porting XBMC to their new chips. And, in the end, the best software is going to be the most widely used (at least... I hope so). I currently don't have many doubts (gut feeling, nothing more) regarding who has the widest installed base among XBMC, Boxee (good guys as far as I can tell, you shouldn't be insulting their work) and Plex.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
topfs2 Wrote:Developers obviously are eager to look and work on Intel CE4100 we have never said anything else, fact of the matter is that there is _no_ unlocked device to play with...

If we (a.k.a. the community) do a fundraiser to get you this, would it help to start porting?
deej
+1
you don't need the hardware, you need the SDK, and that is only available to registered intel company partners. it seems like motd2k already tried it http://origin-software.intel.com/en-us/f...hp?t=78837
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
deej Wrote:If we (a.k.a. the community) do a fundraiser to get you this, would it help to start porting?

As Hannes said if it have SDK with it (somehow I think SDK is only shipped over internet) that would ofcourse help. I can't promise work on it right now since I'm deep in pandaboard but having one of those devices on the team would obviously help alot (someone could start working on it when they have time). Personally I think that device might not be the best one available, and its freaking expensive, especially considering that unlocked devices from acer and such seems to be on the horizon in the short future.

And the community doesn't really need to do a fundraiser for a specific device, if you donate you can put your name and send an e-mail or state here that you would like it to go to CE4100 porting. I would like to point out though that a donation will never get a promise that the money will go to that specific target (just something we cant promise since that would be the same as buying features which we don't approve of) but considering CE4100 is such an interesting target it is rather likely that money will go to it somewhere down the line if money exist.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:As Hannes said if it have SDK with it (somehow I think SDK is only shipped over internet) that would ofcourse help.

Actually Videon themselves make the SDK available on request as they are such a partner. The whole crap about Intel Field Representative is BS just to confuse people.

I have a CE3100 dev kit which I managed to get my hands on and Videon helped with the SDK for that version. The sales person I talked to at Videon is a very friendly person by the way, very willing to help.

So if someone feels the need for creating a CE4100-based Blu-Ray player running XBMC in which I can plug a DVB-S2 card... Please make my dream come true ;-).
deej Wrote:Actually Videon themselves make the SDK available on request as they are such a partner. The whole crap about Intel Field Representative is BS just to confuse people.

I have a CE3100 dev kit which I managed to get my hands on and Videon helped with the SDK for that version. The sales person I talked to at Videon is a very friendly person by the way, very willing to help.

So if someone feels the need for creating a CE4100-based Blu-Ray player running XBMC in which I can plug a DVB-S2 card... Please make my dream come true ;-).

Cool, as said donations are welcomed and will put to good use, considering that Intel ce4100 is an interesting platform its likely that the money will at some point go towards that (just reserve yourself of promises for good reasons). Preferably the donations are in money (easier to handle and we can choose more freely how to use them) but hardwareis also nice.

Cheers,
Tobias.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?1