• 7(current)
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?
AddictedToMetal Wrote:Yeah but the post was edited. "Last edited by judgeschambers; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Boxee's GPU acceleration file type requirements" So, while still slightly old, new enough to be current. I haven't seen anything contrary on the Boxee forums yet. Sad

No this is definatly wrong, Boxee can use Hardware accel just finr on all types of files, just because it is posted on a forum on the internet doesnot mean it is true, but I do know that I have used HD 720p and 1080p files on Boxee and DXVA worked perfectly. I am interested in the Boxee Box and look forward to tomorrow and this weekend. I think I will buy it as it is a easy interface for me to watch movies on TV and the wife to use facebook, etc with the remote. I will still use a htpc with XBMC on in the theater room though as it is just the ultimate movie experience Wink
That and the mods on the boxee forums don't really know any more information than what's out there publically. Only the few staffers you'll see on there rarely know anything else.

Your best bet is to check jira.boxee.tv which is their public bug tracker. The version of the boxee software apparently running on the boxee box is significantly different, it's based on webkit instead of gecko for example.
anyone recieve the boxeebox and try getting xbmc onto it Big Grin
Is it possible that the simplest solution would just be an XBMC app? I love XBMC for the control it gives you over appearance and media, but I like how simple applications are with Boxee. Having one single box that runs all my internet apps like Pandora, Hulu, and Netflix but also plays my local content through an XBMC app would be the holy grail of content boxes for me.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/boxee.../#comments
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
direct link to internals http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Boxee-Box...own/4109/1

well... as the hardware of the google TV and the boxee box is nearly identical, I'd say "one size fits all" for a future XBMC port Wink

as soon as someone gets access to bootloader and hardware, it should be no big deal to port the x86 binaries. only thing that bothers me is to get GPU decoding actually working...
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
cchance Wrote:anyone recieve the boxeebox and try getting xbmc onto it Big Grin

This is not likely to be something done over night. Someone (or a group of someones) will need to work on creating a custom firmware for it and then figure out a way to by-pass any security D-Link put on it that would reject firmware not made by them. I'm willing to bet 20 buck (USD) that at minimum it will take 3 months to get a fully functional install like the AppleTV installer. That is if we are lucky. Before that it will be a sloppy proof of concept/geeks only solution.

But I beg someone to prove me wrong.
Holding down the power button for 5 seconds gives you a recovery menu which gives an option to upgrade from USB.

I too would LOVE to see XBMC running on Boxee hardware.
I'm REALLY hoping this ends up working out
:thumbsup:
live4ever Wrote:Holding down the power button for 5 seconds gives you a recovery menu which gives an option to upgrade from USB.

Shot in the dark here, but has anyone tried using the live version on a USB drive with the recovery menu?
AddictedToMetal Wrote:This is disappointing. (for those of us who use .mkv and wanna buy the box 'till we can hack it) http://forums.boxee.tv/showpost.php?p=94910&postcount=2

Simply put, there is no way this would be true.
I'd bet HEAVILY that mkv is fully supported and functional.
NoPantsJim Wrote:Shot in the dark here, but has anyone tried using the live version on a USB drive with the recovery menu?
When trying to upgrade from USB it looks for a specific upgrade file - I think we'll need the release of Boxee 1.0 (later today?) and hopefully they'll have an image specific for the Boxee Box and not just the software.
Hmmm, so does that mean that any upgrades to the actual Boxee software need to be done via USB? Everything over at the Boxee forums made it sound like software updates were an automatic download.
NoPantsJim Wrote:Hmmm, so does that mean that any upgrades to the actual Boxee software need to be done via USB? Everything over at the Boxee forums made it sound like software updates were an automatic download.
No it'll do it over the internet first and foremost - but hopefully they'll provide the same image for the people with sketchy internet access.
Gotcha. Well at least this is one way someone might cobble together an exploit for getting XBMC up and running.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?1