• 1(current)
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?
Question 
Probably just a rumor but someone said Boxee Box is rumored to run official XBMC Native has anyone heard this at all? If it is true im gonna wait until Boxee Box releases. If this doesn't appear to be possible my next choice is the ASRock 330 i heard that is pretty good and i recently got rid of my PCH-a110 had to RMA it twice both with different issues.
nothing confirmed what I have heard, but its a good possibility
Thanx for the info i also just read that ASRock is roughly 350-375$ after shipping but poking around on newegg. It seems I could build something just as small yet better for around the same price if not less than ASRock's final price.
I guess i will grab all the parts and see what the total cost ends in and will probably report back to see if anyone has heard anything about my topic Smile
My understanding is that the boxee guys want to be able to install XBMC on it, but haven't given any assurances yet. I'm not "in the know" though, so any of my info is about as sketchy as anyone else's.
My setup for a mini ITX HTPC isn't going so well I am already at 310$ and that is without an HDD or Disc Drive. I thought it would be around the same price but I might be more far off than I thought.

This almost seems worth it my total cost for buidling an ITX came up to 420$ after shipping that is NOT including a bluray drive or a remote control. So this http://cgi.ebay.com/ASRock-ION-330HT-BD-...2557881a85 seems worth it to just buy and then redo the OS on it
the boxee box is too weird looking for my tastes. i have been patiently waiting for Shuttle's press conference at CES in a couple weeks. have a feeling they are going to make something good for the htpc crowd.
Any news on this subject, now that the boxee box is SO close?

I love how the box looks and it's capabilities, but I'm really curious if I can use XBMC on it, as I find Boxee lacking some scipts/plugins I love in XBMC :-)
Znuff,

Okay so this is nothing official but I was told by a man in the know at the NVIDIA booth @ CES that the they are planning on releasing the build of XBMC that Boxee is built off of when the product is launched. You can read more about what I found out about the BoxeeBox @ CES here

-Bahndit
Hi!
it's very interesting the project about boxee box but my question is if somebody Know when will they decide to free the source code?

Thanks, djhalmy
Question 
Is it just me, or is it difficult to find a piece of hardware which:
- plays everything flawlessly
- costs less than $300
- not going to take a week to set up

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Boxee box may be the perfect bit of kit to hack for XBMC. What do you guys think?
It's been hinted at that the Boxee Box will run XBMC eventually so there shouldn't be any need to hack it whenever it comes out. There may be further delays depending on porting the Arm version of XBMC to the Boxee Box.

The Google TV boxes run an Intel x86 CE4100 SoC so they might be usable though again we'll have to wait and see if the hardware is suitable.
you can do like i did and buy an old pc off ebay, slap a video card in it and call it a day. all in all i spent $189, and I can play anything and everything, I even bought an external bluray player and it works flawlessly. So if you add the $100 for the external bluray player then I spent $289.
speed_mark Wrote:Is it just me, or is it difficult to find a piece of hardware which:
- plays everything flawlessly
- costs less than $300
- not going to take a week to set up

Its just you. An ION Box + XBMC Live gives a person perfect 1080p playback for less than $300, while taking about 30 minutes to install....

And you can help make it easier for others by getting the hardware and seeing what configuration needs to be done - we're more than happy to have a dedicated setup script for each platform floating around to make it easier for users to install things.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/13/boxee...re-orders/

Does that mean VDPAU won't work? (I was thinking of getting one and sticking XBMC on it)
MC1 (SD & HD): Asus A8N SLI, AMD x2 4600+, 2GB DDR 400 Cosair, Palit Nvidia 9400GT 1GB (Passive), ARTIC 500W PSU, Lian Li PC-C32B, Samsung 250GB SATA
MC2 (SD&HD): RaspberryPi
MC3 (SD&HD): RaspberryPi
NAS1: HP Prolient Microserver N40L 2Gb Ram, 250Gb OS Disk, 1x2TB HDD ext4, 5.25" to 3.5" disk drive added to ODD Slot for OS disk

Blog: http://ninet.org
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?1