RC1: the following packages have been held back
I just updated from beta2 to RC1. The system runs fine, but I am curious what this message means. I updated using:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc

I didn't have to force anything this time as I had to with beta2. after the "sudo apt-get upgrade" I get this:

Code:
xbmc@dhcppc3:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

1) I think XBMC updated fine, but that there are updates to linux itself available, is that a correct interpretation?

then after running "sudo apt-get install xbmc" I get:

Code:
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  pkg-config libsdl-gfx1.2-4 comerr-dev libspeex1 libsqlite0 libass3
  libkadm5srv6 libkrb5-dev python2.4-minimal python2.4 libldap2-dev user-setup
  libgssrpc4 cryptsetup libtre4 libmysqlclient15off libsdl-sound1.2 libssl-dev
  wget zlib1g-dev libiso9660-5 python-sqlite libdb4.6 pmount libkdb5-4
  libreadline5 libidn11-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev busybox
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

2) This puzzles me. I guess the three not upgraded are the same three seen earlier. But my system recommends autoremove. Is this some leftover stuff that can be deleted? As the system is running fine I haven't executed this command yet. I do want to know what it is though to improve my linux knowledge and to keep my system in shape but the names mentioned here don't ring any bells.
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade solves your upgrade problems...
Thanks. I am not behind my XBMC right now but I'll execute that later.

Out of curiousity: Coud I have prevented this, or what exactly happened here?
Well, some upgrades, like these, are considered dist-upgrades (distribution). In this case it is a new kernel which has implications on a lot of things (for example when you manually have compiled a package). So, that's why you get the extra warning when you trying to upgrade...
great thanks!
Not so happy now. Executed this, and now it no longer boots.

I get to see the spinning logo, and afterwards I see a text:

Code:
* starting init crypto disks.... (numbers and letters)   [ok]
starting up...
Ubuntu 9.10 dhcppc3 tty1

dhcppc3 login:

Is this fixeable? or should I redownload the iso and start over?
kees667 Wrote:Not so happy now. Executed this, and now it no longer boots.

I get to see the spinning logo, and afterwards I see a text:

Code:
* starting init crypto disks.... (numbers and letters)   [ok]
starting up...
Ubuntu 9.10 dhcppc3 tty1

dhcppc3 login:

Is this fixeable? or should I redownload the iso and start over?
\

Clearly it's booting, else you wouldnt' have a login prompt. Why don't you log in as the user you created and see what's up with xbmc.
I tried logging in, and it returns the prompt. I then tried "XBMC" which returned a remark about X I think (didn't write it down at the time).

In the end I selected a different boot option in grub. Don't know top of mind but it ends with 15 (16 is default) and that works again. Excuse my noobness, clueless to what I have messed up but at least now it boots again. Will do a full reinstall when the final comes out as I don't know what I messed up.
You installed a new kernel, and didn't fix the nvidia drivers, most likely. Choosing the old kernel in grub fixed your problem. If you don't know what that means, next time just don't run dist-upgrade, that's all.
Thanks for clearing this up. The messages after installing rc1 triggered me to do dist-upgrade. I thought the messages ment something was wrong, but I should have just ignored them. Guess I can just keep booting the other kernel.

rodalpho Wrote:You installed a new kernel, and didn't fix the nvidia drivers, most likely. Choosing the old kernel in grub fixed your problem. If you don't know what that means, next time just don't run dist-upgrade, that's all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RC1: the following packages have been held back0