• 1(current)
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick
Jemster Wrote:And cck197, regarding the USB stick... A 4GB image would be outstanding, can it be put up on rapidshare / megaupload etcHuh I'd offer some space here but it'd be slow transfer speeds and looks like I'm not the only one would like to try this out! Smile

Download my install here. The md5sum is 3fe2f996bf157501457d2d2f5f84ce02

If you've haven't installed your Crystal HD card yet, check out this guide, but note that you don't need to cut the antenna, just wrap the wireless card in cardboard to prevent shorting.

Run this command to copy the image onto your 4Gb (or bigger) USB stick:

Code:
bzcat xbmc_crystalhd_r25841_hardy.img.bz2 | sudo dd if=/dev/stdin of=/dev/sdX bs=4096

Replace
Code:
of=/dev/sdX
with the actual device for your USB stick. Probably /dev/sdb.

It will boot straight into XBMC.

If you need remote access, an sshd is running, log in with the user xbmc password xbmc

If you manage to find my last.fm credentials or a copy of my tax return on there please contact me directly Blush

The Media partition of your internal drive is mounted at /media/pata if you have content on there you'd like to access in XBMC.

Check out this funny aside about the founder of Broadcom.
Hey,

I too want to jump on the bandwagon.

I see that OOB the aTV remote won't be supported. Just had that right now. How do I use irrecord to create lirc.conf?? I know I can use the event client but I want this to kick in at every startup.

Thanks in advance.
Hey,

I too want to jump on the bandwagon.

I see that OOB the aTV remote won't be supported. Just had that right now. How do I use irrecord to create lirc.conf?? I know I can use the event client but I want this to kick in at every startup.

Thanks in advance.
Does it sense what resolutions are accepted or is 1080p hardcoded? Where could I change that to 720p instead? Could I mount it from a Linux box and edit the files needed?
Does it sense what resolutions are accepted or is 1080p hardcoded? Where could I change that to 720p instead? Could I mount it from a Linux box and edit the files needed?
A Milton Wrote:Does it sense what resolutions are accepted or is 1080p hardcoded? Where could I change that to 720p instead? Could I mount it from a Linux box and edit the files needed?

If your talking about the live-distro. atv-bootloader will load any resolution but Linux boots to 1920x1080p as it must have been used before it was dded. I haven't used Linux in aaages which is why I'm having a bit of trouble with it but if I recall you can use "xrandr" through sshd.
A Milton Wrote:Does it sense what resolutions are accepted or is 1080p hardcoded? Where could I change that to 720p instead? Could I mount it from a Linux box and edit the files needed?

If your talking about the live-distro. atv-bootloader will load any resolution but Linux boots to 1920x1080p as it must have been used before it was dded. I haven't used Linux in aaages which is why I'm having a bit of trouble with it but if I recall you can use "xrandr" through sshd.
Yeah, it was the live distro I was talking about. Thanks!
Yeah, it was the live distro I was talking about. Thanks!
Thank me if it works hehe.
Works fine, with the remote! Smile Hmm.. Where did i put my broadcom card..
(windows users, I just use USB image tool to make the stick ready..)
thanx cck197!
mattiask Wrote:Works fine, with the remote! Smile Hmm.. Where did i put my broadcom card..
(windows users, I just use USB image tool to make the stick ready..)
thanx cck197!

You've downloaded the image and tried it and it works? I tried two different patch sticks and it worked fine on both but I have no idea if it'd work on another Apple TV.
Same I used USB Image Tool. Interesting about the remote.
cck197 Wrote:You've downloaded the image and tried it and it works? I tried two different patch sticks and it worked fine on both but I have no idea if it'd work on another Apple TV.

Yepp! Works like a charm! Smile But I havent put in my boardcom card yet! but as soon as i find it tomorrow.. (It is in the middle of the night here is sweden, but i got excited and want to try it right away!) Smile Thanks again!

There's no resolution hard coded in the xorg.conf and I never selected one specifically anywhere. GNOME isn't running so try it as is, it might just work.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick4