• 2(current)
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick
I'm not too sure about that. I had to move the aTV from my 720p monitor to my 1080p tv because it kept changing the resolution to 1080p. I was however using component on the monitor and HDMI on the TV.
No luck for me, using a 4GB Cruiser but not working. First used my hackintosh to install the image with terminal, but then it didnt boot, got hung on eth0 with no progress after then.
Now I am trying USB Image Tool as suggested (v 1.53) on my win7 x64 but it dies at the end of the restore saying nothing written to the drive.

"Could not write to the USB device (error 87).
The parameter is incorrect"

Did I miss something in USB Image Tool?
g00f Wrote:No luck for me, using a 4GB Cruiser but not working. First used my hackintosh to install the image with terminal, but then it didnt boot, got hung on eth0 with no progress after then.

One of the sticks I tried was a 16Gb Cruiser and it was fine.

If you got that far it's probably not the writing to the USB device that's the problem. You have got the ethernet plugged into the network, right? The wireless won't work even if you haven't replaced it with a Crystal card.
The Network cable was plugged in, and then I tried again by removing it and trying to boot again. Im having no luck with trying to write to the Cruiser with win7, so ill try the hackintosh again and see what happens after I try again. I did just wipe out the stoopid cruiser partition on the USB stick, so maybe that was an issue with my first attempt, Ill try it again.
got it running now, and thankfully the broadcom works Smile . I have another card to test in another atv after this, but so far so good. I wish I could get used to the apple remote after coming from the xbox1 remotes/harmony's so it will take so getting use to.

My issue was mainly that the Cruiser still had the default partition on it, and i had to use an app from U3 to remove that partition, after that I just ran the script again it installed fine. Thanks for the making this image, great to finally use the atv with HD.

Is there a way to enable the onscreen statistics so that I see the CPU/Broadcom usage as I see in other posts from Davilla here?
g00f Wrote:got it running now, and thankfully the broadcom works Smile . I have another card to test in another atv after this, but so far so good. I wish I could get used to the apple remote after coming from the xbox1 remotes/harmony's so it will take so getting use to.

My issue was mainly that the Cruiser still had the default partition on it, and i had to use an app from U3 to remove that partition, after that I just ran the script again it installed fine. Thanks for the making this image, great to finally use the atv with HD.

Is there a way to enable the onscreen statistics so that I see the CPU/Broadcom usage as I see in other posts from Davilla here?

U3 == evil , it's always getting in the way of patchstick.
If you are running an MS MCE USB remote/controller combo, the "guide" button pops up the stats. Otherwise, good old "top" will show percent CPU.
Edit: used USB Image Tool via VMWare and got it working—no idea why.

cck197's Live USB boots and doesn't hang, but just sits at the penbuntu login. The md5 checks out and dd didn't run into any problems. Using a 4GB Cruzer, sans the U3 rubbish.

Any ideas?
shit..snowed in, plenty of time but only a 1gig USB stick..
Aleksandr Wrote:Edit: used USB Image Tool via VMWare and got it working—no idea why.

cck197's Live USB boots and doesn't hang, but just sits at the penbuntu login. The md5 checks out and dd didn't run into any problems. Using a 4GB Cruzer, sans the U3 rubbish.

Any ideas?

I ran into the same problem.and it will not boot if I use a usb hub so I can't use a keyboard to login.
I managed to login by telnet,but user xbmc is not available,root/root will let you in.
on screen there are some error messages.
looks like boot loader is up but booting ubuntu is failed.
<code>
running init.d/rcS
atv-boot=manual -- searching for boot_linux.sh
sh: 0:unknown operand
atv-boot=auto/manual/patchstick failed -- starting telnetd
sending discover...
</code>
If it's any consolation 1440p appears to work!
ngok Wrote:I ran into the same problem.and it will not boot if I use a usb hub so I can't use a keyboard to login.

Did you restore the image to your USB drive using dd? If so, try using the (sadly) Windows-only USB Image Tool. That worked for me when dd didn't, though I have no idea why.

If it's any consolation, I just spent two hours trying to get afpfs-ng to mount my AFP (netatalk) shares and got more or less nowhere. I'll FTP a file over to make sure the Broadcom chip works, and then I'm going to go back to patiently waiting for the OSX libs before I waste my holidays away on Linux forums.

Thanks to cck197 for an easy way to check out HD on the Apple TV, though.
Cool thanks for that cck197 a nice preview. Thanks too of course to Davilla for making this possible.

I used the Win usb tool, selected device mode pointed it at my OCZ 4GB and off it went.

Booted into XBMC (takes a while) and it works, some videos stutter a little when played over network initially but they play okay after.

The only problem I have is no audio, is that normal ? tried selecting HDMI in digital audio output but get nothing. Audio works under normal ATV/XBMC.
Starstream Wrote:The only problem I have is no audio, is that normal ? tried selecting HDMI in digital audio output but get nothing. Audio works under normal ATV/XBMC.

HDMI audio requires updating ALSA (1.0.21a works) and possibly downgrading the Nvidia driver to 100.14.19 as newer Nvidia drivers break hdmi audio in the ATV.

On another note, it seems that even with that driver combination HDMI audio only works if the TV (or receiver) is connected when the Apple TV boots up.
One word... WoooHooooo!!!

Currently watching a few of my old 720p Blu-Ray MKV rips and playing perfectly. Thanks so much for the image cck197!

Took a couple of restarts before I got the remote working but it seems to be OK now, without having changed anything... strange one.

Smile
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick4